Good Iaido?

Discussion in 'Weapons' started by Prizewriter, May 27, 2015.

1. Prizewriter

Prizewriter Moved on

Hey all,

A friend used to do Aikido and is keen to get back training and wants to try Iaido.

How can you tell if the class or instructor is decent? I don't know what to look for in a sword martial art as to the uninitiated it just looks like chopping a sword in the air. The website looks good as does the instructor background.

Thanks.

2. Bozza Bostik

Bozza Bostik Antichrist on Button Moon

Wanna post the link to the site? I am sure there are MAPers who can give you some info then.

3. Prizewriter

Prizewriter Moved on

4. Langenschwert

Langenschwert Molon Labe

Eishin ryu is legit.

5. armanox

armanox Kick this Ginger...

Yeah, that's a good style. Normally I'd say find a school that's a part of the Zen Nipon Kendo Renmei (so a school that teaches Seitei Iaido), but if you can find a place that teaches an old Ryu that's even better (check the instructor's creds, like always. I heard of a Katori Shinto Ryu School that the instructor only learned from books....)

6. ludde

ludde Valued Member

A wannabe shinto-ryu that is.

7. Karatebadger

Karatebadger Valued Member

Don't know where you are but in the UK most Iaido clubs are administered through the British Kendo Association so grades above ikkyu are pretty well policed. That doesn't mean you will get someone good at teaching but if they have a BKA grade they should at least know what they teach and practice a recognised ryu.