Good conversation on martial arts with non-martial artist

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by Guitar Nado, Nov 8, 2014.

1. Guitar Nado

Guitar Nado Valued Member

Tonight I went out to dinner with a classmate of mine (he does 2 different MA with me) and his wife who was asking me lots of questions about MA, why this and that, etc. - very intelligent questions. This was a long conversation that touched on Kung Fu, Muay Thai, Bjj, Judo, JJJ, Kyokushin, Aikido, Ninjutsu, Krav Maga, Boxing and Kali. A few of those I have actual experience with, and I few of I know mostly from reading about on MAP and other places and the odd move shown to me now and then. I was able to break out many a MAP (and frankly a few Bullshido) truism when questioned.

It's pretty rare that I have much of a conversation about MA with someone who isn't in one of my classes, or here on MAP. It's even more rare where the conversation goes on this long. Even more so with someone who doesn't do MA and actually seems to get what I'm talking about. Heck, by the time it was over I was attempting the 3 Archilochus quotes I sort of know (although I didn't get his name right).

It's possible that some of the opinions I had were actually correct, likely many were partially correct, and a few were surely wrong, but still fun to talk about this stuff with a non-MA person.

2. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

It's nice when people take an interest in your hobbies in general. I'm sure she would feel the same if you quizzed her on her spare time habits.

3. Johnno

Johnno Valued Member

That's nice to hear, Sunfish. Whenever a non-MA person asks me about my hobbies and I mention Taiji my heart always sinks a bit about what they might ask me.

Of course, I do occasionally meet a fellow practioner. Which is nice, because then I can mock them for their inferior lineage.* :hat:

* I'm joking!