Good Combo

Discussion in 'Ninjutsu' started by Cougar_v203, Feb 13, 2003.

1. johndoch

johndoch upurs

Hey shadow

Do you mean in competition or street?

I would say that your combo would maybe work in a competition (TKD etc) if done correctly. But I would nt say it was a street technique.

Looking at the cresent kick followed by the spinning kick I would say this is the weakest part of the combo. Firstly the spinning kick will only work if you get a good hit with the cresent kick and your opponent falls back into the right range for your spinning kick or you adjust your footwork to get the right range for the spin kick, or the cresent acts as a feint and your opponent backs off into spin kick range.

The combo seems to start at boxing range then goes to kicking range. What do you think of this?

IMO I think its good to approach combo training keeping ranges in mind.

2. pesilat

pesilat Active Member

Absolutely.

Not sure if you were questioning the choice of going from mid range to long range or not, but if you were (or if anyone else is), here are a couple of practical reasons for doing it.

Boxing range to kicking range is possible. If, in the combo posted, the cross lands solid, it's liable to knock the guy out of punching range and into kicking range. Or maybe the guy drops back to evade the cross and puts himself in kicking range.

Mike

3. Cougar_v203

Cougar_v203 4th surgery....Complete!

I did this all in 3rd period today so I couldn't finish.
    ok heres the complete

left jab to face
    Right Cross To Chin (if they duck the move I would follow it up with a knee to the face)
    Left Hook to face
    and a fast spinning backfist with the right hand.

sorry i didn't say this before.

4. pgm316

pgm316 lifting metal

Although the crescent kick mentioned could be used to knock the guard away, or to try and kick away a weapon. Leaving an opening for the back kick, otherwise it would be difficult to land both kicks.

Would it be better to do the kicks first in the combo, from the longer range, then moving in once you've softened them up a bit??

If so, I'd rather start with a safer kick, a fast low body kick!

5. johndoch

johndoch upurs

Pesilat said - "Boxing range to kicking range is possible. If, in the combo posted, the cross lands solid, it's liable to knock the guy out of punching range and into kicking range. Or maybe the guy drops back to evade the cross and puts himself in kicking range."

Yep totally agree.

Its important to understand aspects of range and timing in combos as they cover a variety of situations from long to short range and from short to long range. The more you appreciate this when training on the bag or pads the more it helps when it comes to fighting. But it comes down to the basics we must have the basic combos well and truly before we move onto the higher level combos.

Short to medium can be practised on the focus pads R-Uppercut to L-Hook to R-Cross to L-Jab (left jab is not a power shot but is used more to stop your opponent getting into a rythmn to counter). This drill can be trained backwards to go from medium to short range and is good when feeder and striker are not static. Add kicks to truly cover the long range factor but kicks are better basic :)

6. Shadow_Fox

Shadow_Fox New Member

The Reason I don't kick first is because the guy might catch my foot and Hit me in the balls. Now if I punched first that would weaken them enough to land some kicks.

7. johndoch

johndoch upurs

quote shadowfox - "The Reason I don't kick first is because the guy might catch my foot and Hit me in the balls. Now if I punched first that would weaken them enough to land some kicks."

You should mix up your combos so your opponent doesn't know whats coming next. If you limit your combos to always starting off with punches you will be less effective. About getting caught with low blows, as PGM said keep your kicks lower (safer) then they will be faster and less telegraphed.

8. pgm316

pgm316 lifting metal

Like Doc said, keep em mixed, although in "the street" a few fav's should be enough.

How about;

Faint a punch, low kick, move in to boxing range for a 3 punch combo and finish with a big move, kick/elbow/knee/lock/takedown etc

9. Cougar_v203

I don't know how to faint

10. johndoch

johndoch upurs

Feinting comes with experience.

Its basically throwing a strike to get a reaction. Its not really intended to land. Say we are sparring and I throw a front kick intending to hit you and I miss because you side step to the right. If I throw a few front kicks during the course of the fight and you still side step in the same manner I should recognise this. The feint would now be the front kick. for example I can front kick now with the emphasis on your reaction. I could now kick and as I'am not bothered about hitting with the kick I can reduce the power in the kick allowing me to recover my balance quicker and catch you with say a left hook as you side step right.

Thats why its important to try and vary your defensive game and not react like a robot as someone tries to hit you.

11. Cain

Cain New Member

No typos guys,

It's feint and not faint, like cougar and pgm said :D

I can successfully faint easily but not feint easily :p

|Cain|

12. pgm316

pgm316 lifting metal

Well spotted cain, I thought they were the same word until now!

:D

13. Cougar_v203

So let me see if i have this right, you throw a kick with the intention of kicking someone but you stop your kicking leg from makeing contact with the opponent and when they are trying to block your kick you immediatly throw a right/left punch. Is this correct?

14. Andy Murray

Andy Murray Sadly passed away. Rest In Peace.

In essence, any combo that works in a fight is a good combo!

So how do you make a combo work?

You train it, you develop it. Something I find useful is to have your partner spot for you. Ask them to react as soon as you move, then find out what it was that they reacted to and see if you can eliminate it.

In kung Fu we like combinations to flow from one technique to another. If, for example, you started your combo with a Jab/Cross, the stretch across the body of the longer 'crossing' side might naturally drag up the leg from that side to be used to kick.

Combo's might attack the same area with every technique, or mix up low/hi strikes.

Try mixing up the timing, so you don't habitually throw every technique with the same interval in between.

I don't feel you can apply the same combo successfully against every opponent, so you have to read your them, and set them up.

Anyone got ideas on how to set up your opponent?

15. pgm316

pgm316 lifting metal

You could do! As Andy mentioned, any combo that works is a good combo. So if you can make this work why not.

I think its more common to feint punches than kicks, probably because its easier to flick a punch out than loose mobility while feinting kicks.

I think a good and easy opening for combo's etc is to feint a punch at kicking range leaving a opening for a kick while there reacting to the punch that was never in range :)

You must have some good ones Andy!

16. eninpodotcom

eninpodotcom New Member

Here's a good combo:

1. A handful of whatever you can grab and toss at you opponent's face... coupled with...

2. Nikejutsu

17. Shadow_Fox

Shadow_Fox New Member

I just Tried this on a friend while we were bowling ;) and it went something like this:
    Low Kick to knee joint followed by another but my friend tried to block so i stopped and bailed the kick to a right hook and caught my friend off guard.