good bodyweight routine to improve in martial arts?

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Pkhamidar2com, Oct 22, 2011.

1. Pkhamidar2com

Pkhamidar2com Panda Member

I heard deadlifts and squats are good for kicking power in martial arts.

I been doing bodyweight training for some time, but i stopped, because not much time, and so i just concentrated on practicing kicks.

But i was wondering, whats a good routine for developing good in martial arts?

i do tangsoodo, which is simlar to takeonwdo, in that they both primarily use kicks.

I used to do some gymnastic workouts using the gymnasticbodiesWOD thing, and that was ok but it was too many workouts for me, 4 workouts a week + martial arts practice at class and at home + cardio + school work (which is alot nower days) is too much.

so i want something simple i can do.

Some things i could do, and can do now.

I can do i think atleast one pistol squat one, one rep max without assistance. I used to be able to do 3 - 5 reps, but i stopped for a while and im on 1 i think.

I can do about 11 - 12 pullups on my swing frame (which is quite a thick bar = harder :) )

i can do about 3 - 5 chest dips on the pullup bar. You know the muscle up? Well the top half of that, but instead of doing a pullup bar and a dip, you just do the dipping portion. So chest dips on a straight bar.

Um... i can do some back levers, front levers...

what can i do to improve, what should i do? I would like something simple.

BTW i cant do weights as
    1) its expensive to affort weghts often at home
    2) gyms around me are very expensive
    3) the gym that i can go to only has dumbells and 3 benches and all machines
    4) the gym that i hve to be 18 to go to, costs ALOT and does have the deadlift area etc... but its expensive, AND i have to be 18
    5) even if it were cheap, it would be expensive to pay for both gym AND martial arts.

which is why i do bodyweight training.

2. Frodocious

Frodocious She who MUST be obeyed! Moderator Supporter

The gymnastic bodies WOD don't have to be done at the same frequency they do them on the site. Scale them back to fit into what ever time you have available, 1,2, or 4 days.

3. Jump!
    Plyometrics will help your kicking.

Osu!

4. Pkhamidar2com

problem is, WOD is a split routine, meaning that it may do shoulders one day, legs another, front levers another etc...

and it doesnt do alot of legs either... the kicks are all about the legs afterall....

5. Frodocious

Frodocious She who MUST be obeyed! Moderator Supporter

Then take the exercises and mix and match them for your own gain. The gymnastics bodies stuff has some good leg work in it - pistols, glute hams, so use them and add in things like single leg deadlifts, bulgarian split squats, walking lunges. I did a routine based on the GB training idea and tweaked it so that I could do it 3 days a week incorporating it into a weights routine. All you need to do is cover each exercise type - upper body pulling (vertical and horizontal), upper body pushing (vertical and horizontal), legs and core, pick one exercise of each along with some static holds and you're sorted.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2011
  6. Pkhamidar2com

ah ok

so for legs, im thinking twice or maybe, if i have time, three times a week or so

explosive squats (like box jumps)
    pistol squats
    bulgarian split squats
    GHR's

maybe add some sprints etc...?

7. JamesR

JamesR Valued Member

Gotta throw in some pressups as well! My favourite exercise tbh

Works so many muscles at once, great compound bodyweight exercise :)

8. Mangosteen

Mangosteen Hold strong not

Sprints
    Box Jumps
    Tuck Jumps
    Squat Jumps
    Jumping Split Squats
    Hindu Squats
    Plies

All great leg work

9. Bennetnoir

Bennetnoir New Member

There is plenty you can do from home, bodyweight wise.

For strength training, one arm pushups, handstand pushups, planche pushups, pistol squats, lots of pullup variations...

For explosive training, depth jumps, tuck jumps, lunge jumps, clap pushups...

For GPP, bear crawls, sprints, burpees, tabata training, skipping...

For core training, plank variations, hanging leg raises, crunches, russian twists...

Hope this helps

10. Bennetnoir

Bennetnoir New Member

Sorry forgot to mention in previous post, your workouts dont need to be epic, a quick 20min is more than enough as long as the intensity is there.

The training can be done the minute you get home from school, get changed, train for 20mins, carry on with your evening like usual.

11. microhard

microhard Valued Member

What style of martial arts are you talking about?

12. seiken steve

seiken steve golden member

You have any heavy stuff lying around or access to any heavy stuff?

old barrels, rocks, kegs etc.

13. Pkhamidar2com

What can you do with a barrel? I have quite a large one filled with compos but it has no lid...