Good authentic Chinese Shaolin schools in Sacramento, California

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by kungfupanda71, Apr 28, 2019.

1. kungfupanda71

kungfupanda71 New Member

Looking for the real deal in northern California Sacramento, CA area. I know that bay area has great schools but I don't want a 3 hour drive for training. Past experience has been in Choy Li Fut, Judo and Karate.

2. Xue Sheng

Xue Sheng All weight is underside

Webfu produced the Shaolin Temple Kungfu Zen Academy, that I know absolutely nothing about other than it is in Sacramento

kungfupanda71 likes this.
  3. kungfupanda71

kungfupanda71 New Member

Yeah I like that it has real Shaolin monks teaching so will check it out soon. Tried one local school and did not care for their methods.

Xue Sheng likes this.
  4. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

What do you mean "authentic real deal" stuff?

5. kungfupanda71

kungfupanda71 New Member

Not a McDojo full of silly belt/sash rankings but focus on kung fu skills development from the Shaolin temple!

6. Pretty In Pink

You want hard training that will be effective in hand to hand combat?

7. Pretty In Pink

8. kungfupanda71

kungfupanda71 New Member

Since we are talking grappling, muay thai and CLF

If the CLF guy was better he would easily defeat the Muay Thai guy or vice versa. I prefer the forms of CLF and Shaolin. More fun.

Grond likes this.
  9. Pretty In Pink

There are decent CLF folk out there.

Okay, I'm going to give you my best compromise answer. Find somewhere that does San Shou. Chinese kickboxing. Very effective and hard training and it's Chinese, which for some reason you seem to want.

Grond likes this.
  10. Pretty In Pink

Tornado takedowns, spinning kicks, all the cool stuff of Kung Fu, but with better training methodology.

Grond likes this.
  11. icefield

icefield Valued Member

The CLF guy comes from a lineage of very very few forms which is probably why he is so good.

Grond likes this.
  12. icefield

icefield Valued Member

A TKD black belt and outstanding wrestler who I remember saying spent 6 hours a day sparring and hitting the pads when training sanda with not a form in sight.

A different methodology from shaolin and much closer to the buk sing way of training

13. kungfupanda71

kungfupanda71 New Member

I think any martial form when trained correctly is effective in a real fight. I took jiujitsu and karate in college and now like CMA best lot to learn and the flowing movements of Shaolin based arts to me are way more interesting given the mix of external/internal stuff.

14. aaradia

aaradia Choy Li Fut and Yang Tai Chi Chuan Student Moderator Supporter

Grond and kungfupanda71 like this.
  15. Pretty In Pink

Well he also asked for real deal authentic Chinese Shaolin kung fu.....

Grond likes this.
  16. kungfupanda71

kungfupanda71 New Member

Correct I don't want to do grappling or karate or muay thai kickboxing.

Pretty In Pink likes this.
  17. Pretty In Pink

Cool, but there isn't any such thing as authentic Shaolin. At least not in the sense you'd think. Closest you'll get is Wushu. Shaolin kung fu isn't a real style and the few monks that perform are just that - performers. It's all just theatre.

18. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

Yeah...isn't the "shaolin temple" basically like a kung fu disney land? Or like ninja world in japan (or whatever it's called)?

19. Xue Sheng

Xue Sheng All weight is underside

Actually there is a gentleman in China teaching what would have been taught in Shaolin Temple before Sanhou and Modern Wushu. It is as close to authentic as you can get these days. Sorry I cannot remember his name, but he is most definitely in China and not in the USA.

And if someone wants to train Shaolin in the USA, why not. I train with a guy, darn good martial artist too. Incredibly athletic, very strong, flexible and his base is modern Wushu and Sanshou he learned in China. Wish I had his skill at his age.

Also, if you can hold up with some of the Shaolin Monks and near monks that are teaching in the west, you are in pretty darn good shape, pretty darn flexible and you get Sanshou too. Nothing wrong with Sanshou, if trained properly, kicks, punches, qinna, takedowns and throws.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2019
    Pretty In Pink likes this.
  20. Grond

Grond Valued Member

That was a really fun fight to watch, thanks. It was really hard to tell style vs. style, really. All the basic boxing fundamentals were there. Stances, footwork, guards, slipping, bobbing, weaving, clinching, The best part was the respect shown by both competitors. This wasn't just another kung fu vs video, this is good stuff! Pugilistic science speaks for itself whether you call it chinese or thai, or whatever.