Good Aikido Books

Discussion in 'Aikido Resources' started by EmptyHandGuy, Aug 12, 2009.

1. KOKORO KAI

KOKORO KAI Valued Member

Nice one Bill miss training with you
    Tommo:cool:

2. koyo

koyo Passed away, but always remembered. RIP.

Hi guys

Let me introduce Tommo to you. He has ,I have been told, kept journals of our "adventures" in aikido from the 70s to the 90s.

He was my constant support when I was introducing aikido in Glasgow and trained VERY hard alongside others such as George Girven and Bill Noble.

Impromtu thousand suburi sessions running in the snow . Visiting other martial arts clubs to show (prove) aikido and working as bouncers are all memories that come back when I think of him.

He is in France at the moment recovering from an illness. he is a constant reminder that NOTHING is achieved alone.

koyo

In both photos Tommo is facing the camera (as usual)
    what are fiends for

Attached Files:

3. komuso

komuso Valued Member

:)

excellent, you have a co-author!

paul

4. KOKORO KAI

KOKORO KAI Valued Member

Bill I do not remember the technique it looks like Nikkyo? the expression on my face says it all. Ha ha
    Is the other photo taken at a demo in Glasgow?
    Tommo

5. koyo

The technique is an ara waza versiob of nikkyo (bloody painfull).
    The other photo is from a demo in the Glasgow Exhibition centre.

Bey Logan organised it and anounced aikido as the "gentle art".
    The guy hitting the floor has just been downed by a punch to the side of the head and had to be carried to the side of the mat.

I met master Sken of Muay Thai there and he was a perfect gentleman.

regards koyo

6. EmptyHandGuy

EmptyHandGuy Valued Member

I remember Bey Logan!! He edited Combat magazine when it was actually a good read :cool:

7. koyo

He wasn't too pleased by the demo because it blew his "gentle art commentary" out the window.

As soon as he anounced it as the gentle art Tommo looked at me as if to say "Ooooo NO!!!":evil::evil:

8. KOKORO KAI

KOKORO KAI Valued Member

Ah the gentle art commentary, yes I remember a little of that demo,after I got home straight ,into a hot steaming bath, jonts a little sore:evil:
    Still would never have missed it for anything.
    Tommo:cool:

9. embra

embra Valued Member

On behalf of myself and all who read the Aiki threads, lets wish Tom Pierce the best recovery possible.

With Tom's diaries and koyo's writing style, a really interesting 50 year span documentary of Aikido in Scotland maybe on the cards? A lot of work mind you.

10. KOKORO KAI

KOKORO KAI Valued Member

Embra on behalf of my dad I thank you for your kind words.My dad suffered a massive brain haemorrhage and is very lucky to be alive,resulting in memory loss, it takes him a long time to put things down even when he posts on this site. Reading Bill's contributions on here has helped him a lot.
    My dad has indeed diaries(large size), 4 I know of,I am trying to put it all on computor then I hope to send it on to Koyo.He also has video's of Koyo and himself at some courses which I will be transfering to DVD.
    My dad has ambition to practise Aikido again some day,in his words to me "You can take the man out of Aikido, but not Aikido out of the man"
    Thanks again
    To Koyo.......Well you know

11. embra

embra Valued Member

I am no doctor, but if reading koyo's posts aids Tom's memory recall, then its possible that further writing from koyo on "the old days" may trigger a little bit more memory recall. Maybe reminders of other old memories may help Tom. The weather in France must be good for Tom.

I imagine that in the diaries is a wealth of adventure, experience and documentary, worthy of a concerted writing project.

I did actually meet Tom Pierce very briefly, for about 1 minute in Bellahouston Park in 1982.

I was at one of Chiba Shihan's classes in Cumbernauld about April 1980 and I believe koyo was there, but was not training that day. I had not been long at Aikido (maybe 3 months max) - I was a real raw rookie at the time, but for some reason I was boxing above my weight that day and was giving it a fair old thrash. About halfway through, Chiba Shihan executed kote-gaeshi on me - the first one was ok (just), but the second one had too much raw power in it for my level of ukemi, and I skitted of mid-air at an akward angle and I landed head first on the mat - like a dart being thrown at the dart-board. As I got up, Chiba Shihan bellowed at me "Why dont you take ukemi???" - before realising my lack of experience and apologising to me.

12. koyo

At least he apologised TO you.

He once knocked me out THREE times in the one class and apologised for my "accidents."

13. embra

embra Valued Member

I only trained one more time with Chiba Shihan in 1982 at Lancaster University Summer School, and I would have to describe his attitude towards me personally as that of a perfect gentlemen, in spite of his ferocious reputation. I recall George Girvan earning nidan during that week.

By this time my ukemi had improved quite a bit and my stamina was not at all bad, and could generally absorb a fair dollop of punishment. My execution of tori technique was still quite limited however.

During the week, I was practising a lot with Erik Louw from Holland (who I understand is now a 7th dan in Katori Shinto Ryu), who was then a very capable Aikidoka. From my own memory of that week, Erik was the only individual capable of matching Chiba Shihan for pace, delivery and technique in Aikiken.

About halfway through the week, I was trading suwariwaza Irimi-nage heavily with Erik Louw. For about 15 minutes I could keep pace with him, but during the next 10 minutes I was seriously starting to wilt. My ukemi was losing its crispness and becoming ragged. My breath was getting very heavy, but I could still execute tori ok, and there was no stopping Erik - I was now boxing several weights too high. At one point, Chiba Shihan came up to me and enquired quitely 'Are you ok?' Like a fool, I replied 'yes', and we were allowed to continue for another 5 minutes, before Chiba closed the action, giving as all a well earned breather, except for Erik. For the next 5 minutes or so Chiba did his best to stick Erik permanently onto the ceiling, with his eyes popping out.

I got my breath back, and life continued.

I also recall Charlie Woolfson singing at the end of week party/sing-song.

14. koyo

Would that be the imfamous Mad Doc Woolfson?

I remember I used to accompany him on the guitar on The Long Black Veil. The story of a widdow mourning at her husbands grave and wandering the hills in a long black veil.

There were about fifty (well eight) verses and he sung them sooo mournfully that we were all in hysterics.

Had some great guitar sessions with Chiba shihan present. One classic moment stands out when it was suggested that we could all learn aikido if we could speak Japanese
    and a bimbo actually asked Chiba shihan where he learned to speak japanese so well!!!

below Charles and I ,he was with me for the twenty two years I taught a Glasgow Uni.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 15, 2009
  15. embra

embra Valued Member

I think he worked at Glasgow Uni, Jewish chap if I remember correctly. I remember him being quite an accomplished singer - but it probably wasnt 8 verses that he sang. I cant sing for toffee.

I stayed in a flat in London with folk from all over the world, a looong time ago, wherein one English girlie asked a Spanish geezer 'whos Franco?'. More recently I was asked by an agent prospecting me for work in France, having just arrived back from Italy. The agent asked me "Were you speaking fluent French on a daily basis in Italy?". Dutch is a language full of bananaskins if you are scottish - I always used to completely overdo the 'ccccchs', and 'rrrrrrrhs' - through over-pronunciation I translated someone's surname to the literal translation of Placenta (which had everyone laughing at me for about a year.)

16. koyo

He was one of the top Proffesors of Glasgow University. Dr Woolfson..I attended a function with him once where EVERYONE had a phd. One fellow came up to me and asked rather condescending what my relation was with Dr Woolfson.

I told him quite truthfully that Dr Woolfson was one of my students.

I DID NOT say aikido

I love the Scots accent especialy when we are attempting to be posh and say things like. "When appyting nikkyo one must be carefull or one could do damage to your partners shoooder"

Hey Tommo

remember?? It's not the number of people you can knock down..it's the number of times YOU can get up!!!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 16, 2009
  17. KOKORO KAI

KOKORO KAI Valued Member

I remember Charles practised a lot with him at Glasgow Uny and the Makotokai dojos.The photo of Charles was taken at Bellahouston?
    Bill you said it's the number of the times you "Can " get up, sometimes after being uke to you they were times I could hardly get up (Ha ha ha)
    Bill that photo Jesus looks like I am .....well you know, was that in Spain we were attending a course with Chiba Shihan?
    Tommo

Last edited: Aug 16, 2009
  18. KOKORO KAI

KOKORO KAI Valued Member

Bill that is one course I do remember I think Chiba went a bit over the score :rolleyes: It was at Bellahouston if I remember correctly.Jan was not to pleased was she.
    Most of the guys attending including me sat there thinking "I hope I am not next" if we were being honest.I remember when you were down for the "first" time, he left you on the mat and picked me as uke I must admit I was wishing I was somewhere else.Then when you got up he disregarded me and moved back to you to be uke.I remember he knocked you out but continued throwing you with Irimi Nage .That was a course to remember.That night(Saturday) I came home with you and Jan she put you to bed, and a thought came into my head "Jesus he will go through that again tomorrow" and you did it seemed to me it was worse.
    A lot of so called "Aikidokas" ran for the hills after that weekend never to return
    Can I ask why we never ran:evil::evil:
    Tommo

19. koyo

Because I couldn't even walk...and you would NEVER run off and leave me.

20. KOKORO KAI

KOKORO KAI Valued Member

Very true bro.
    Did Chiba shihan not come back after the course was finnished and spoke to you regarding his actions
    Tommo