Good age to start BJJ training

Discussion in 'Brazilian Jiu Jitsu' started by Pyrock, Aug 29, 2008.

1. Pyrock

Pyrock Valued Member

I have a 6 year old that currently studies Tae Kwon Do and Wrestling. He now wants to start BJJ at one of the Ralph Gracie schools. Is 6 years old too young? The kids program are for ages 5-12. He was introduced to the whole Jiu Jitsu thing through Sports Jiu Jitsu which is taught by his Tae Kwon Do school but it is not offered very often and usually to upper Tae Kown Do ranks. He will soon compete in a tournament in Sports Jiu Jitsu so I thought that BJJ would help in this new catagory.

On a seperate note, is BJJ very different from Sports JJ? I understand the Sports JJ includes some sparring but can go to the ground. Do I understand this correctly?

2. Moi

Moi Warriors live forever x

If he wants to do it there is no reason why he shouldn't. While he's still young try a few different arts. Things tend to change as they get older (my lads nearly 15 now with 9 years of training in various arts) so dipping your toe in a few will help make informed decisions later on.

Word of advice from someone who made the mistake. Get him an outdoor hobby as well - too much time inside isn't healthy.

3. Pyrock

Pyrock Valued Member

Good point. I agree about the outdoor sports thing. Although maybe not an official "sport", he just started taking up skateboarding but I plan to introduce him to soccer or baseball in a year or two. I would try hockey but it's too much like martial arts.....FIGHT!....the gloves come off and......ARM BAR!!!!! (Crowd goes nuts!!):fight1:

4. Moi

I tried kayaking (great for upper body strength:rolleyes:) and sailing. The sailing continues but for the moment I'm not prepared to put a roofrack on my car and he's not that bothered so the kayaking is taking a backwards step.

5. Freeform

Freeform Fully operational War-Pig Supporter

In a sweeping generalisation I'd say kids would more likely enjoy BJJ than TKD on the grounds that it is generally taught in a more relaxed way and there is more 'play'.

The 'Sports JJ' is more likely to be more geared toward classical Japanese JJ, so kind of kickbox-ish with throws and some groundwork. Obviously BJJ would be a bonus to train in.

6. JSun

JSun Valued Member

I signed my 6 year old daughter up at my academy and she absolutely loves it. The conditioning is rigorous, but they do it in a manner that's really fun for the kids. A class generally starts with the students running around the mats, kicking balls. Then they run a few laps around the school ducking under mat teepees and army crawling under the instructors arms. They do some breakfalls while making laps. They have races where the kids will run from one end of the mats to the other while having to jump into side control or knee-on-stomach on a kicking pad. The teachers are very supportive and they'll generally throw in something about self defense, like what to do if a stranger grabs you (slide to the ground while they drag the child by the wrist, kicking and screaming). Then they'll sit indian style back to back and turn to grapple each other trying to grab their partners big toe.

There's not a whole lot of technique being thrown at the kids yet, but I think it's still a bit too young for them to be learning joint locking techniques. It seems to me the classes are geared towards getting the kids comfortable with wrestling and doing exercises that condition them to move in a manner conducive to grappling. My girl is generally worn out after class and can't wait to go to the next one. I'd recommend this art to anyone with kids wanting to get into martial arts.

7. alister

alister Huh?

8. Pyrock

Pyrock Valued Member

Since starting this thread, I have signed my son up at Ralph Gracie Jiu Jitsu and he loves it. He's been in for about 3 weeks and is having a blast. He just turned 7 yesterday and was able to take a picture with Ralph Gracie for his b-day. I gave him a Koral gi (blue) and he loves it. So far so good.

9. Moi

Sweeeeeeeet!

10. forever young

forever young Valued Member

Its good he loves it, do you train with him? there is so much fun to be had training with him, my youngest son aged 10
    trains and is getting his yellow belt on monday (he dont know yet :hat:) while my eldest son is a monster on the mat (just took gold in a competition, he smashed everyone in his division no one scored a point on him :D)
    I see so many awesome kids coming through at competitions, they are capable of some amazing jiu jitsu (being young, flexible and fearless like only children can be) so get him competeing as soon and as much as possible and im sure he will love it even more

11. Brian R. VanCis

Brian R. VanCis Valued Member

I started my kid's privately training with me at a very young age. It is very good to get them used to moving in a certain way so that those skills can be ingrained. :cool: Just the simple things like bump and roll, shrimping, where they need to place their hands, how to structurally move their body can play a big roll in future development. :)

12. shouldercarge

shouldercarge Valued Member

no way is 6 too young get him into it whether its bjj,judo,karate,boxing whatever it will be good for him and just hink how awesome he will be later down the track if he sticks at it!!
    also like martial dad said at the same time get him into an outdorr sport and i would suggest a team sport (will teach himhow to interact with other kids,and also i think team sports bring about humility as you realise you can't just do everything by yourself).
    i started rugby league when i was 4 ;) and im still playing now at 23.

13. shouldercarge

shouldercarge Valued Member

actually may i suggest kids mma if you can find it?

i was watching the kids class before my muay thai class started the other day and to be honest it seemed more balanced than the adults one.
    they had 3 instructors and split the kids in 3 groups and rotated round spending 20mins each doing takedowns,stand-up and bjj it looked really good and i cant help but think what awesome well rounded mixed martial artists the kids would be once there older,and that way once your kid is older enough to decide what he enjoys himself he'll have a good base in all 3 ranges to make his own well informed decision. (ie, he may decide to take up competitive judo or point sparring karate etc,

14. Moi

Chance are if he keeps up the training he'll be in plenty of team sports at school. Being strong, fit and disaplined with good balance goes a long way in most sports.:cool:
    The downside is the training might clash as they'll expect twice a week training and a game on the weekend.
    That's why I tried to get mine into kayaking so we could just chuck them on the roof of the car and hit the water. Something you can do anytime, fishing, anything that doesn't require commitment & competition.

15. Pyrock

Pyrock Valued Member

Well, the latest update is that my son got his "grey" belt (actually green w/ blue stripe) last week from Ralph Gracie himself. Of course, these belts are actually "kiddy belts" as I call them because they dont actually exist in Brazilian Jiu Jitsu. For Ralph Gracie Jiu Jitsu, I believe it's White, Grey, Yellow, Yellow advance (yellow with orange stipe), Orange, Green then when they turn 16 years old, the green turns into Blue at which point they start the normal White-Blue-Purple-Brown-Black cycle. Regardless, a 16 year old blue belt after starting at the age of 7 should be pretty impressive. Like most have said, I hope he sticks to it. The combination of Tae Kwon Do sparring, Freestyle wrestling, and BJJ has made him a pretty balanced martial artist. He's become quite popular during the sports Jiu Jitsu portion of the Tae Kwon Do tournaments and routinely trains with the TKD black belts (and beats them). Needless to say, he's still very much into it and enjoys it very much. This is a YouTube vid of his first Sports JJ tourney as part of his TDK school. He's the small one.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h8TIidGs40k"]YouTube - Sports Jiu Jitsu - 7 year old Kyle's 1st match[/ame]

16. Moi

Very impressive!

17. Pyrock

Pyrock Valued Member

Thanks! ...And that was a while ago. The armbar and the rear naked choke were his favorite and most reliable moves. He has since added the Kimura and a few newly learned chokes that involves utilizing the gi. Next months tournament will be interesting...hopefully he will have a more skilled opponent that will push him more.