Golden Gloves?

Discussion in 'Boxing' started by aaradia, Jan 13, 2015.

1. aaradia

aaradia Choy Li Fut and Yang Tai Chi Chuan Student Moderator Supporter

If someone calls themselves a "Golden Gloves Boxer" what does that mean? Does it mean they participated in one of the Golden Gloves tournaments or does it mean they are saying they won one of those tournaments?

I did a bit of googling and it seems that there are several tournaments that claim to be Golden Gloves? Is this correct?

A little light on the subject from those experienced in boxing would be appreciated.

I met someone who claims he was a golden gloves boxer, and people seem to believe him, but I have my doubts due to something else he said that was definitely bogus. He is a nice guy, and I have no doubt he did do boxing, but I honestly doubt the golden gloves claim. I am wondering what it means. If he was a champ of some tourney, there seem to be lists online, but a lot of them. Also if it means someone just participated, but didn't win, checking the lists is a waste of time.

It's just curiosity at this point.

2. Unreal Combat

Unreal Combat Valued Member

3. aaradia

aaradia Choy Li Fut and Yang Tai Chi Chuan Student Moderator Supporter

Yes, I saw that when searching. But I am still unsure if one has to win or just participate to be called a Golden Gloves boxer.

4. bodyshot

bodyshot Brown Belt Zanshin Karate

there used to be some credentials you got when boxing golden gloves. I think a necklace with a pair of golden boxing gloves as the pendant and or a trophy and something written from the orginization.

5. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

I met a few GG boxers in my time and they had all won their tournaments. So from my experience, I believe "Golden Gloves boxer" = "very good amateur boxer."

6. Mushroom

Mushroom De-powered to come back better than before.

My boxing coach used to say that GG Boxer = GG winner. And as prestigious as it is, it also depends on the competition "on the day" as it were. However in general, yes the best amatuers around.

7. qazaqwe

qazaqwe Valued Member

It's not particularly unbelievable, as most golden gloves tournaments are usually only covering a state or region in the united states, a few only cover a city, and i believe that it isn't uncommon for people to enter tournaments that they don't regionally live in for a better shot at winning a tournament, however, Redcoat and Mushroom are right, for the most part, someone saying they are a golden gloves boxer will usually mean they won at least a regional tournament.