Golden Eagle Kenpo Karate?

Discussion in 'Kenpo' started by Kenpo_Dave, Apr 26, 2006.

1. Kenpo_Dave

Kenpo_Dave Valued Member

Well, Ive been wondering about this guy for a while now - http://www.ugek.net/ - Ive asked my own instructors about him and they just laugh, but Ive heard from others that hes a great Kenpoist. Does anyone on here know of him? Is he the real deal or is he just another 'McDojo' self promoter?

OSU,

Dave.

2. Pacificshore

Pacificshore Hit n RUN!

I believe there were some discussions on him at Kenponet. Maybe check there to see what you can find on him :)

3. KenpoDavid

KenpoDavid Working Title

You might check MartialTalk.com as well. I've never seen any threads about him.

4. Kenpo_Dave

Kenpo_Dave Valued Member

OMG!! Check this out. This is from the Kenpo Forum on www.martialtalk.com.

"To answer some of your posts below, yes it is true, I have recently been promoted to the rank of 11th Degree Kenpo Black belt by a panel from Atlantic City's Martial Arts, Boxing and Athletics community.
    The panel consisted of 6 individuals, 2 which were from Black Belt Magazine. Chuck Norris my honorary brother, members of the CIA and the Artist formerly known as Prince also guested at this grading, so those who doubt its merit or authenticity can be under no illusions, this was a real test which involved the complete syllabus from my Kenpo system and also the many innovations to the system (directional harmony, contact manipulation, double factors ETC ETC) I created which Ed Parker himself commented on. Â
    On the note below, I would have liked my old Kenpo partner, Mr Tatum (a fellow 10th Dan) to have attended too as it would have reminded me of the times we spent 8-10 hours a day practicing in his house which was of great benefit to both him and me.
    Those who say I have been awarding myself belts are mistaken for whatever reasons, most likely their own. Â I will not comment on this scurrilous accusation from small minded part timers.
    In the spirit of kempo
    Senior Grandmaster of the arts GMaughan, 11th Degree black belt"

Since when was there 11th Dan in American Kenpo? This post answers my question :rolleyes:

Whats more, I heard that he failed one of his Dan gradings under an Irish instructor who is only now a 6th Dan. According to my instructors this instructor is one of the best Kenpoists in Ireland. How can someone passout their former instructor by 5 Dan grades?

OSU!

Dave.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2006
  5. kempojosh

kempojosh Valued Member

William Chow was a 12th degree bb in kempo. but that's because he went around and beat up the 10th degree bbs. so if this guy wants to be an 11th degree, maybe he should beat some people up :confused:

i didn't know that the artist formerly known as prince was a super grandmaster in martial arts. :rolleyes:

6. dbmasters

dbmasters Valued Member

William Chow claimed to be a 15th degree in an interview I read a transcription of a couple months ago...

7. kempojosh

kempojosh Valued Member

can you post a link to the interview?

8. dbmasters

dbmasters Valued Member

No, it was in black belt magazine in the last 6 months sometime...it was a very odd interview, chow seems like a person with multiple personality disorder. I'll see if I can dig it up and scan it though, I bring my back issues to the gym, I'll have to find it there...

9. dbmasters

dbmasters Valued Member

Well, thank God for Google http://www.blackbeltmag.com/document_display.cfm?document_id=380

http://www.orlandokuntao.com/master_frameset_whatsa_bb.html has a funny quote:

10. dianhsuhe

dianhsuhe Co-Founder: Glow-Do

Yes Professor Chow felt that so many individuals were claiming 10th degrees with less time and training, that he should be a 15th degree.

db- Please do not be disrespectful, keep in mind that many people took advantage of the Professor over the years and at some point he was fed-up.

Professor was always living at or near the poverty level so when individuals would come and train with him for a couple of weeks then use Professor Chow's name to make money and open up schools. He felt used- and he was right!

James

11. KenpoDavid

KenpoDavid Working Title

It doesn't sound like he was really serious. Chuck Norris, the CIA, and Prince??? I give it a 90% chance he was joking, 10% chance he is crazy as a hatter.

12. dbmasters

dbmasters Valued Member

I have no disrespect, I don't know how a Kenpoist could disrespect Chow, but I can certainly have an opinion. From reading interviews with him, he is kinda unusual insofar as contradicting himself here and there and such things, just sounds like kind of an excentric...he just strikes me as somebody who is likely an unusual individual.

13. kempojosh

kempojosh Valued Member

Prince is actually the guy who trained Chuck Norris and various other famous martial artists. Do not disrespect the guy. :D

14. dianhsuhe

dianhsuhe Co-Founder: Glow-Do

db- Fair enough...

15. Kenpo_Dave

Kenpo_Dave Valued Member

Actually, this guy is 100% serious. His website is http://www.ugek.net/
    Im surprised that the ego formally known as Larry Tatum wasnt at his "gradiing".

OSU!

Dave.

16. Colin Linz

Colin Linz Valued Member

I have just one quick question. Is it Kempo or Karate?

17. kenpoist

kenpoist New Member

He has taken the Americna Kenpo karate techniques developed by Ed Parker and modified them in way's I have never seen - many with neck rolls followed by knee drops. I do not care for the modification's that I have seen on his website previews. Also he has added jumping, spinning and Axe kicks to some of the techniques. In American Kenpo - we do not jump around off the ground and do a lot spinning because it is not efficient use of motion and risky in a street fight - it is merely "flash" .

He states that he assisted the CIA and FBI with Former President Reagans security detail in Ireland. Sorry, but neither of these agencies have anything to do with Presidential protection - that would fall SOLELY in the hands of the US Secret Service and their local police counterparts in Ireland.

Just my two cents worth! :woo:

18. Clyde

Clyde New Member

So, I'd like to know

What, exactly, has been your contribution to AK in the last decade? Also, what was your relationship with Mr. Parker like?

Clyde

19. Kenpo_Dave

Kenpo_Dave Valued Member

Well I havent been in Kenpo for long enough to make any contribution to it, other than fees. I never even met Mr. Parker. Does this mean I cannot ask a question about an instructor in Ireland who has recently invented a new Dan grade in Kenpo? Who claims to be a Grandmaster in Kenpo, but actually failed his Brown Belt grading twice, each time under a different instructor and who has now seemingly not only passed out both of those instructors (6th and 7th Dan) but also Ed Parker himself. As for Tatum, the word on the street is that Mr. Parker literally had some of his guys pick Tatum up and throw him out of the dojo, telling him never to come back. This was apparently for embezzlement of school funds and sleeping around with the female students. I dont know if this is true or not, so Im not going to give it much thought.

Regards,

Dave.

20. Clyde

Clyde New Member

Third hand info

You know, I find it funny how people take second and third hand information and spread like it was truth, it's like a disease you guys have. I have to ask, were you there when Larry left the IKKA? Have you ever even met Larry Tatum? I've heard every rumor in the book before I joined up with him, but in the years I've known the man (16 years in June), he's never portrayed any of the traits that these rumors are based on, and I was skeptical of joining because of them, so I scrutinized him for years. All I've seen is a man that loves to teach Kenpo. I'm one of the few people, if any, that can stay at his house overnight, so I guess I know him better than most.

In the future, why not try refraining from using libelous information before making any judgements, and then putting it in print if you A)don't know what happened for sure B) don't know the man, nor make any attempt to do so other than watch his videos.

Have a great Kenpo day

Clyde