[goju-ryu] another kata analysis by paul enfeld.

Discussion in 'Karate' started by Fish Of Doom, Mar 18, 2015.

1. Fish Of Doom

Fish Of Doom Will : Mind : Motion Supporter

2. Rebel Wado

Rebel Wado Valued Member

He is right that the hammer fist to the side of the head (morote gedan uchi) versus a tackle is very difficult even though that is the bunkai taught to me.

I don't know if his strike to the body is any better though. I was working techniques from the "monk salute" and it seems the movements work well versus a body clinch (bear hug) from the front with arms free. It basically gets you double over hooks/arm locks.

Edit: Been playing around with the following as bunkai for morote gedan uchi:

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BtqunE-uYtQ"]Modesto Grappling Club Instr. #159: Double Overhooks Throw (Harai Goshi) - YouTube[/ame]

Last edited: Mar 19, 2015
  3. SWC Sifu Ben

SWC Sifu Ben I am the law

I might actually pick that up. I see some very good parallels to wing chun techniques in the kicking and some of the hand techniques and the man clearly knows his craft. I like it!

4. Fish Of Doom

Fish Of Doom Will : Mind : Motion Supporter

he's done several, each on a different kata, so i would suggest having a trawl through his channel, seeing which he's done so far (think it's saifa, seienchin, seisan and seipai?), and seeing the kata themselves to see which you may potentially find most interesting. as a shot in the dark i'd suggest the seipai one, in terms of potential applicability to chun material :)

5. Travess

Travess The Welsh MAPper Supporter

Being a huge 'fan' of Paul Enfield's approach/outlook, to both Kata and Bunkai, I have in the past been inspired to sign up for one of his Skype workshops, and I cannot recommend the insight gained/offered enough (should you have the spare coin)

As an aside note, my senior instructor had the pleasure of training with Paul, back when he (Paul) still lived in Oxfordshire, and as such, his methods occasionally end up finding their way in to some of our sessions - Which is always interesting.

Regards,

Travess

6. SWC Sifu Ben

SWC Sifu Ben I am the law

Well I saw the last one you posted and that one was great too but I'll check out more of his stuff.