Going to Japan

Discussion in 'Ninjutsu' started by yorukage, May 5, 2014.

1. yorukage

yorukage Valued Member

Hello fellow buyu and budoka! I'm going to train in Japan for the first time this year and I'm very excited. I've read a lot on other people's visits to Japan and I'm going with some guys who travel there regularly. I will be referring to their guidance a direction a lot, pretty much all the time I'm there. I'm very excited for this.

I am posting to get advice from those who have made the trip this year. Obviously I'd welcome any advice in general, but I feel like I am fairly well prepared for the trip itself, particularly traveling with these buyu. What I'd really like is to know what advice people have who have been there this year. I know that this year's theme is quite high level, so an advice for preparation for training with the Shihan and Soke would be helpful. Thanks

2. baldrick

baldrick Valued Member

Hi Yorukage,

Congrats and best wishes for your first visit :)
    I haven't been able to get out there so far this year, due to a broken leg :(

From what I have heard from friends that have been this year, I wouldn't worry too much if things seem to go over your head re the theme. I suspect that even the Shihan haven't yet got a really good handle on it yet.

Best thing to do is soak up as much as you can, take as many notes as you can and just enjoy the training and company.

Regards,

Dave.

3. 47MartialMan

47MartialMan Valued Member

Good for you. I have been invited to go around Nov 2014. A friend, former student is going there to meet the parents of a Japanese woman, and he is also going to speak to the leader of his current art; Hatsumi

4. Niinpo

Niinpo 万変不驚 Banpen Fugyo

Hi Yorukage,

Congratulations on your first trip!

I was there in January, the theme for this year is Shin Gin Budo, basically I understand this as having the heart of no attitude in order for Devine intervention in your technique.

This is particularly relevant for your first trip. So I would suggest going there with no preconceived ideas, a feeling of zero. This way you will be able to take in concepts that might otherwise seem alien to you.

Don't worry about learning technique or understanding technique more just let your body go through the motions and absorb the techniques naturally.

Gambatte ne!

5. Dunc

Dunc Well-Known Member Moderator Supporter

Have fun, train with as many shihan as possible and observe the way that the Japanese students behave (as opposed to the westerners)

Oh and stay away from late night massages

6. yorukage

yorukage Valued Member

Thanks for the advice, and I'll definitely stay away from the late night massages. I'll certainly observe the Japanese students. The group of guys I'm going with I've heard complain about how not enough people follow proper etiquette in Japan, so hopefully that means they do. I have no problems showing respect to people, and I think I have a pretty good idea how to be respectful while in Japan, still lots to learn I'm sure. I know we are going to be mostly training with the other Shihan. I'll make it to two Soke classes, but I understand why it's important to train with the Shihan as much as possible. Thanks!

7. Drewcifer

Drewcifer Hissatsu shinobi bachi!

Have fun - Japan was one of the best experiences I've had in my life so far. I'm dying to get back over there again :)

I personally found training in Soke's class to be oddly freeing - I did my very best to work with the things that he was showing, but I kinda knew that they were going to be mostly beyond me so I just did my best and stopped worrying about getting it right. As soon as I did that, good things happened, and I think I got a lot more out of the training than if I'd been stressing out about every little detail, so I'd advise you to relax, go in with an open mind and just soak the information up like a sponge. It will come at you hard and fast either way, so there's no point trying to control it, better to just go with the flow and learn as much as you can (maybe this is mental ukemi?). You'll be mentally exhausted much more than physically. Train earnestly, don't mess around, roll tight if Hombu is crowded, be aware of space (and maybe aware of people who aren't?).

Most of all, pay attention and take a strong mental imprint of the movement of the senior Japanese instructors and Soke, because you'll find yourself thinking back again and again when you're training afterwards. The more imprint you have, the better you can use it to guide you.

I think that Japanese etiquette is only really mysterious and difficult if you are a jerk. It is centred around the same thing as etiquette anywhere else: avoid making other people uncomfortable. It's just that the things that make people uncomfortable can be slightly different, so you need to just watch a little and approach things with some sensitivity. The Japanese are mostly very friendly and super hospitable and nice to tourists. Sign language and a nice, open smile get you a lot further than bad Japanese from a phrasebook, and a lot of young people speak some English anyway (also all the signs/trains etc are in English, so it's really easy to get around).

Also, steer clear of the guys in black suits and sunglasses hanging around on street corners ;)

Have a good one!!

8. baldrick

baldrick Valued Member

@Dunc: :)