Going to Ireland!

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by E-Rocker, Aug 19, 2014.

1. E-Rocker

E-Rocker Valued Member

I am taking a trip to Dublin, Ireland. I leave Chicago tomorrow evening and arrive in Dublin on Thursday morning. I'm very much looking forward to it. Any recommendations of places to see, things to do, etc?

2. Saz

Saz Nerd Admin

The Guinness brewery and the Jameson distillery were highlights of my trip. Also find a little bar down a side street and have some real Irish stew and a pint of Irish stout that isn't Guinness, like Beamish or Murphys.

3. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

Translation: Get bladdered. :)

4. Saz

Saz Nerd Admin

At least I tried to make it sound cultural :D

5. Ero-Sennin

Ero-Sennin Well-Known Member Supporter

Make sure you bring a personal can of Crisco!

6. Alansmurf

Alansmurf Aspire to Inspire before you Expire Supporter

Get an open topmbus tour of the city....if its not raining...

Get the DART to Greystones and take in the scenery ..

Smurf

7. Johnno

Johnno Valued Member

Try not to spend all your visit rushing around just seeing things. Take your time and get chatting to people as much as you can. It's the people that really make the place. For a city that size, it's amazingly friendly.

8. Saz

Saz Nerd Admin

This _^

9. Rhythmkiller

Rhythmkiller Animo Non Astutia

I'm often sent to Ireland to work. Visit Tralee in County Kerry, great pubs around the area, i have been drunk in the same pub as U2 in Tralee, right next to County Kerry kerry is county Claire where my family historicaly come from. Some great surfing to be had a round this area.

Lol because i'm Scottish and a Celtic fan i used to get called "Plastic Paddy" until someone recalled my grandfather from Claire and now i'm accepted!!

Oh and be warned it is very very expensive.

Baza

Last edited: Aug 20, 2014
  10. Anth

Anth Daft. Supporter

I haven't been to Dublin but I've been to a village in Co. Cavan something like half a dozen times and I agree with what the rest have said about going into side-street pubs and talking to the natives. We go into the same pub every year and this year had pretty much a heroes welcome (landlord reaching over the bar to shake our hands as we walked in) and got talking to some of the people we met last year. Just don't stick to set times for things - you might spend longer than you imagine chatting and getting the gen about the best places for food etc.

11. E-Rocker

E-Rocker Valued Member

Thanks everybody! I got back a few days ago, and I had a fantastic time on my trip. I did wander into many a side-street pub & got talking to some locals. I also took the open top tour bus to a number of the famous places, and dropped in on a sci fi convention that happened to be in town. For the most part, I just kinda wandered wherever I felt like wandering, and it was fantastic. I'd really like to go back.