Going to Hawaii

Discussion in 'Kenpo' started by deadprez, Feb 9, 2011.

1. deadprez

deadprez New Member

Hi all, I'm planning a trip to Hawaii and was wondering if anyone here knows of any sites of historical significance to James Mitose and William Chow. Old training spots, memorials, grave sites, etc. I would love to grab a little Kempo history in between trips to the beach! Thanks.

2. slipthejab

slipthejab Hark, a vagrant! Supporter

interesting... I've always been fascinated by the the whole transmigration of Japanese MA's to the west. As Hawaii has always had a fairly large ethnic Japanese population curious how this style fared compared to the Japanese styles that ended up in say the Pacific Northwest... primarily Judo I believe.

Though from what little I know on the subject the Japanese teachers back in Japan and even quite a few of those in Hawaii were none too happy with breaking the convention of teaching to Japanese only. So there was no doubt a whole lot of in intrigue involved in the development of this style.

Mitose himself did time in Folsom prison and there was a lot of stuff that went on behind the scenes. Very interesting.

Would like to hear more about this from anyhow who's got more knowledge of it.

3. deadprez

deadprez New Member

guess no one here from Hawaii. I'll keep looking for info on the net. Cheers!

4. tonyv107

tonyv107 Valued Member

I'm going to Hawaii in late July/early august. The Judo/Ju Jitsu school I train at has roots in Hawaii as well. Willy Cahill the owner is from Hawaii so I am definitely interested in anything you may come across. The next time I talk to Mr Cahill I will talk to him
    About it and see if he has any tips on where to
    Go.