Going on a Silat journey

Discussion in 'Silat' started by Van Zandt, Sep 27, 2009.

1. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

Well, it's been confirmed the wife and I will be spending some time in Indonesia next year to see her relatives. One of her uncles is a Guru in Cimande, who said he'll teach me one-on-one when I'm over there.

This is a totally different direction for me in terms of martial arts as I've done mostly "stand-up" arts (TKD, boxing, kickboxing etc). I tried Silat a couple times in the past under Steve Benitez (fantastic teacher), and although I enjoyed it I felt way out of my comfort zone. It'll be nice to switch off my TKD and kickboxing head and just immerse myself in Silat and my wife's culture.

We're planning on going for one month at the moment, but I may stay for longer if I like it. Wish me luck!

2. AndyT

AndyT Valued Member

Nice one - what an awesome opportunity!!

Having recently done a little FMA (NUDDA with Antonio Feadda) which was a fantastic experience, I'm sure you'll learn A LOT and have a great time doing it!

It would be great if you get the chance to put something up on your experience and how you feel it effects your TKD.

3. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

Thanks Andy. Will do.

4. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

I hope you have a blast and make sure you tell us all about it when you get back VZ. SF. Whoever. :)

Mitch

5. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

Ha ha, thanks Mitch :cool:

6. Mitch

You sure your new hip will take those low stances? :)

Mitch

7. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

Hope so :D

I'll actually be heading to your neighbourhood for lessons in Silat before I go.

8. Mitch

Pop by and say hello, I might join you for a lesson. Or a few beers after :)

Mitch

9. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick