Go Kan Ryu World Cup May 2003

Discussion in 'Karate' started by Jim, May 9, 2003.

1. Jim

Jim New Member

Anyone here going to the World Cup at the end of May in the U.K.? My brother in law is going but has never been to England before, I told him I'd ask just to see if any of you are going to get some pictures...

2. YODA

YODA The Woofing Admin Supporter

Go Kan Ryu?

These are the guys that have their "instructors" work door to door selling lessons and guarantee black belt in 12 months - IF you work for them and bring in enough students.

One "Black Belt" that knocked on my door had been training for 9 months.

3. Slownsteady

Slownsteady New Member

just to clarify

Hi All.

Just to clarify, Black belts on 12 months is not what is taught or offered in GKR. The person knocking on Yoda's door may well have been instructing at only 9 months of training- They wear a black and white belt, even though they may be anywhere from 8th kyu to 1st kyu. (note I think this is to somewhat shroud the fact that the person isnt a bb- if you had a green belt teaching the class, new students would lose interest very quick). Shodan takes approx 4-6 years- obviously depending upon the individual and the effort put in. I think the 12 months shodan has been sufficiently discussed in another thread- The fact that people who have only been training for a few months can be at a sufficient level in their knowledge to be issuing instructions to others is somewhat of an issue in my books, but thats a different story.

I currently train 2 styles- one of which is Go Kan Ryu the other Kan Zen Ryu. I do GKR because it suits my whole family training. I do Kan Zen as it is what I started a long time ago and is more indepth and diverse in its application. Overall my Kan Zen training borders on MMA. But this thread is not about Kan Zen, rather Go Kan Ryu.

I enjoy my training with Go Kan Ryu- it is a good workout if the individual puts the effort in- I have lost 8-10 kgs in the last 4 1/2 months. My sensei is a BB- approx 6 years training, his helpers are 2 BB 7 years training, 1 brown belt, 4-5 years and another that I am not sure of duration. Suffice to say, I have trained in a variety of classes in my region- there is a huge difference in level of instruction and the individual capabilities of each individual. I train with my current sensei and his team of merry men and women 1) cause I enjoy their instruction, 2) they are good at what they do 3) ego's are kept in check.

Am I experieced enough to be able to distinguish good from bad karate? I think so- previously trained Kan Zen for approx 6 years.

Do the 2 styles compare? I use an analogy- GKR is like the vowels of the alphabet- Kan Zen is the complete alphabet used in a sentence. In days gone by, GKR was very new and had a steep growth curve, resulting in junior people taking classes. While this still happens, I think there is less of it.

But make no mistake- GKR is a business and it is run as such.

Lifes just like that. Im not saying I agree with it all- just that I aint gonna change it.

stepping off the soap box

Mick

4. Jim

Jim New Member

So Mick, are you going to the World Cup in the UK?

5. Slownsteady

Slownsteady New Member

No,

but one of the guys I train with is.

Mick