Go Kan Ryu/GKR (yes...the door to door ppl...)

Discussion in 'Karate' started by honest_john, Jul 28, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. samuri-man

samuri-man New Member

jessie c where in brisbane is your dojo?

Last edited: Dec 11, 2004
  2. Ad McG

Ad McG Troll-killer Supporter

Remember though, if so many very experienced people give such negative comments about it, there has to be a reason. Like I said before, if you went to somewhere else completely different, to a respectable dojo in another style, and you will have something to compare to.

3. JohnnyX

JohnnyX Map Addict

Hi wikket,

Thanks for giving us this insight.

Welcome to the mad MAP House.

Make sure you stick around now that you have joined MAP. :D

Cheers. :)

4. GojuMaster

GojuMaster New Member

G'day all and Happy Seasons!
    What a surprise not to see any more postings from GKR people! As it has happened time and time again, these people join Forums just to have something to say and as soon as they are confronted by "reality posts" they quickly leave.
    That's because they haven't got a leg to stand on, and based on the curriculum of the so called founder, they have even less to fight with. What a shame, what a pity.
    Well, I'm back from Okinawa and a great time was had by all. Too bad some founders of styles are not recognised over there still today, and as my friend Kensho Kotamura said;"to be real Master, you have first to be a "real" student".Then he added: "what grade is this Master?" and then he laughs for about half an hour after being told.
    Never mind, when you run a school were more people leaves than stay, something is wrong!!!

Any info about Okinawa, I will be happy to oblige.

In the Arts

5. wikket

wikket New Member

:)
    Fair point...I did join just to have a say in this thread...but I am not a gkr person any more, in fact quite the opposite. So many forums.
    Hows an Okinawan class compare to a 'western' one (assuming it was Goju by your name ;) )?

6. GojuMaster

GojuMaster New Member

Wikket,
    thank you for asking, well for start I am a very high up Instructor in Goju Ryu and old fellows like me no longer join the seniors class, but redefine technique and compare ideas.
    The ideal class is still the same as years ago. Very strenous, very repetitive, very basic. The do not like quantity but quality of technique, and you spend hours training on one particular move rather than many moves in an hour.
    Traditional karate-ka would not mind, as we are there to share, but the young ones would have to be perseverant to stay on for long periods of time.
    Overall, classes are very enjoyable and we all go to the local Karaoke bars at nite to sing and chant (somehow you forget the bruising)
    Bye for now

7. Emma W

Emma W New Member

GKR students have stopped posting on this thread because they are tired of defending themselves. we have said enough. have a nice new year to all.

8. Haduken

Haduken Valued Member

*//#*%$##!!!!!!!! is all i can say about GKR

9. CobraMaximus

CobraMaximus Banned Banned

Do you not mean tired of facing denile? Last Night at Karate this brown belt in GKR came to the class. He didn;t know what he was doing lol. He was totally lost. When he attempted lots of the moves he got told by the instructor to start doing them properly. His technique was teh suxor and in sparring he was flattened in a second. We also did some running and fitness stuff but he looked as though he had never seen vaguely physical movement in a dojo before, was totally confused.

10. JohnnyX

JohnnyX Map Addict

That's already been discussed.

It's getting quite boring reading the same stuff all over again.

Unless some new information comes to light, this thread may be ready for the ...... chop!

11. oni78

oni78 Valued Member

just add my opinion on this ongoing thread..

emma, i would be suprised if anyone was ever having a go at the hard work youve put in - its to be commended and the amount of people this day and age who cant be bothered - dont get me started.

the easist way to get an opinion is to just search the chatrooms - if you get a general consesus, then i think you can make your mind up. hell, theres even several websites set up specifically against them.

in relation to the post's - people were asked for thier opinion and they gave it. we might not want the answer sometimes though. nobody who has been training for years wants people to spend their time doing an art which may not be the genuine article.

my background with gkr is that i answered (mostly just out of interest) an ad re the self defence consultant role and found out that is was teaching karate (not the same thing). i hadnt taught/trained karate for 3 years at that point and the guy wanted me to teach asap. together with me paying the instructor or regional manager and what i'd read / seen at the classes, i felt mcdojo. but thats just me.

at the end of the day, if you are happy there, why worry?

12. Anth

Anth Daft. Supporter

Its going around and around and around in circles to me :(

13. YODA

YODA The Woofing Admin Supporter

Indeed!

BOOM!

Attached Files:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.