Gnandchampion Division

Discussion in 'Kuk Sool' started by hwarang cl, Oct 15, 2007.

1. hwarang cl

hwarang cl The Evil Twin

Do any of you remember the grandchampion division in the Houston World's during the late 90's? I was curious why they dont have that anymore.

Also I think It would be cool for the '08 World's, If they took all of 07's Grandchampions from the Major(European, Korean, Houston, West Coast, and St.Lious) Touny's and pitted them together, ofcourse WKSA should foot the bill for travel or atleast half of it, so we could actually have a World Champion.

2. Silentmonk

Silentmonk The Blue Donkster!!

2008 worlds would be in october wouldn't they. Then you could have someone competing from Europe who isn't even the reigning champ over here if you take the 2007 one to compete. If they won would they be the world champ if they had been beaten by someone else at the European championship a few months before. Championships are just about the day like a MOT test over here for your car. It doesn't guarantee they will be road worthy the rest of the year. People over here would have to stay at their total best for over 6 months to compete in all the champs and then come to the worlds. Seriously don't think you'll ever get a fair comparison or a who is best.
    Oh and all the judges would be mainly american and have their own preference to style etc so would it be fair?? Oh and before you say I'm saying that they would cheat I'm not, take the korea trip how well did the American style go down over there, how well did the European one in comparison. Its all about judges individual style choice not about being a grand champ. I think winning your national one is a fairer comparison of where you are in the system that you are taught than a world one would show who was who. Not everyone competes anyway. You just end up with the best of the people who compete with a world title and a fancy CV ;)

I thought the Americans like World Series without any other countrys anyway :D

3. jjk

jjk Valued Member

Yea so? Shouldn't someone with the title "world grand champion" be capable of this or more?

Plus I don't see what's wrong with just inviting all previous grand champions to compete in this ultra-prestigious series. Sure you might say that a 2005 world champion competing against a 2007 champion isn't "fair" but fairness doesn't mean everyone has the same abilities, it means everyone has the same opportunities and starting point. Sure a recent champ might beat a not recent champ, but they might not! That's why it's a COMPETITION.

And yea I would agree that a world champion would need to be internationally judged.

4. KSW_123

KSW_123 Valued Member

For an event like that you could take a master from each region and make them a judge. That should help level the playing field in terms of judging.

Nothing like this would ever be perfect, but it would be cool.

5. hwarang cl

hwarang cl The Evil Twin

Or each head judge should dictate to their side judges on what to look for, as well as what kind of style they are looking for, and then tell the competitors exactly how they will be graded. Or in an ideal world everyone should be doing things exactly like the text, but that has been a failed experiment.

But nevertheless it would be cool just to see all the champions competing agianst/with eachother at the same time. Hell Id pay just to see it.

6. Gi Ma Ja Se

Gi Ma Ja Se 90 degrees is 4 real MA's

I like the idea sounds grreeaaaaaatttt!!!!!

obviously there would have to be alot of thought eg. judges nationality and how to score a form for example would need a judge capable of scoring on the 5 principles rather than 'thats not how we do it over here'

didnt the grand champions of past win a sword and a massive trophy, i know someone who won that several times and had great trouble getting them on the plane back to the UK..... enough said :rolleyes:

7. AirNick

AirNick Valued Member

I had a conversation with KJN Alex about this over 10 years ago. He told me they were planning on doing this exact thing. I guess it's still work in progress :)

8. hwarang cl

hwarang cl The Evil Twin

Well they did do it for, I think, the 98 world's, IM just curious why they stopped.

9. Silentmonk

ok first point you got any grand champs???

so anyone on here who is one want to tell me what proportion of their training time they spend doing the stuff specifically for the tournament as opposed to training the entire system

Anyone who has got a grand champ on here want to tell me if they teach classes as well. So have to stick time on top of their class.

So lets see if our first tournamnet is in may, say they started preparing for that in April they would then have april to october spending most of their time on training for tournamnets rather then actually training.

So you are asking for them to give up 9 months of their training time and social life.

Tell you what why don't you fly over here to the europeans and then the british ones if you are so desperate to be a world champ. The only world champ would be someone who held them all. The british, the european, the "world" (lol) american ones. oh actually lets make it every single seperate one that there is, and then the korean ones. Hell lets throw in the opens and spend the whole year training for competitions LOL

oh well no i am sure that anyone can stay top of their game physically and mentally fro that long you are right they would all be performing at a level playing field. :rolleyes:

10. Yuhp Cha Ki

Yuhp Cha Ki Valued Member

I've won a couple of Grand Champs over the years. As for my training for them, to be honest I don't change much of my training or dedicate a load of time to training for a competition. A competition is 1 day out of 365. To me its more about what I do the other 364 days!

I teach classes, personal train, have a full time job etc so don't have the time to dedicate to just tournament training. They way I see it, if you are being judged on your form on the 5 principles, you shouldn't need to train it for tournament if you are training your forms properly. The only thing I will increase, if that, is my sparring time.

Techniques I will maybe run over with my partner 2 weeks before the comp.

I'm a strong believer in that if you train accordingly then you should be of a decent standard to compete.

Overall I might spend an hour a week doing tournament specific training if that, starting 6-8 weeks before a comp.

Tournaments to me are about catching up with old training buddies and enjoying yourself. The medals are meaningless! Seeing an old friend that I've not seen in months/years is worth more than any title!

11. Gi Ma Ja Se

Sounds very similar to my training.... I train 5 days out of 7 a week sometimes i just train everyday of the week LOL regardless of weather or time of year. Heck i have even trained on boxing day before LOL. I usually do a varied training program all the year round consisting of all things KSW etc. When Tournys come up i will devote a proportion of that time to the areas im going to be judged in (who wouldnt????) and then also continue my routine as what i am to be judged in i would be practicing anyways!!!

obviously those who know me know that i teach classes as well as attend my instructors classes and then do all my personal training on top. As well as this i work and am getting married very soon.... busy times!!!

The only thing i would disagree in the above is a slight arogrant comment

'The medals are meaningless!'

Try telling this to the person you have beaten for the past few years and gauge there reaction. Im sure they wouldnt see them as meaningless... dont ever get too bigs for your boots or your mates at tournys will soon be no longer your mates.

12. Yuhp Cha Ki

That comment wasn't meant to ber arrogant. Meaningless wasn't the right choice in words. What I should've said was that in terms of importance the medals are not my number one priority. I'd be happy to come in last every time so long as I knew that in myself I had performed the best I could possibly do. I compete against myself so to speak.

Hope this clears things up a bit.

13. JSun

JSun Valued Member

:topic: , but...

Congrats on the impending wedding.

14. Bahng Uh Ki

Bahng Uh Ki Valued Member

The grandchampions I know teach a lot.

Teaching helps students learn and cement the material. Teaching does not detract from one's own training. One may not be getting the heartbeat up, or learning new techniques, or even getting detail while teaching, but one is learning the material deeper, and one can always lower the stances if more training is desired.

15. shimajiro

shimajiro Valued Member

yes,
    Training is one dimensional, from only the first person perspective.... teaching is three dimensional, and must be understood from 1st, 2nd, and 3rd, person perspective, and usually results in a deeper understanding. perspective matters

16. Silentmonk

Ok what i was trying to point out was that its a major dedicaton of your "spare" time to be at that level all year round. I never suggested grand champs didn't teach.

I know both Yuhp cha gi and gi ma ja se well, so I know how much they teach and how much they train. I was just saying that anyone normal who held a grand championship would have to dedicate as much time as these freaks do to kuk sool all year round. Or maybe all grandchamps are freaks. LOL

:love:

17. Bahng Uh Ki

Bahng Uh Ki Valued Member

Maybe we are all freaks. Do you have to be a freak to love Kuk Sool that much to want to train and teach? "You teach best what you most need to learn." Maybe I can't see a non-martial artist's perspective anymore.

18. Yuhp Cha Ki

Ah Silentmonk, can always rely on you to say the right things!

Freak maybe......probably right if you ask most people. lol

But then again carrying carpets in a former life would have that effect on me.

19. Gi Ma Ja Se

my wife to be calls me KSW freak all the time!!!!

20. davefly76

davefly76 Valued Member

oooo nearly forgot. happy birthday gi ma ja seh! :)