GM In Sun Seo Video

Discussion in 'Hapkido' started by dvybe, Apr 16, 2007.

1. psbn matt

psbn matt great sage = of heaven

this is an intrenational forum, not america. and choi is free to say what ever he wants, if i, you or anyone else agrees or not (and i have disagreed with him proberbly as much as i have agreed with him, so i am pretty unbiased either way) weather under his name or any Pseudonym he choses.

your's and my moral standards don't come into it.

if you don't agree with whats being said, just agree to disagree. choi's opinions are his to air, for his own reasons. if you don't like then, don't read/respond to them.

2. JTMS

JTMS Valued Member

Thanks for your input matt. Since you don't agree with my views here I will assume that you will no longer contradict yourself by admonishing me.

3. wild_pitch

wild_pitch Melt The Guns!

Although I don't have a horse in this race or frankly care too much about the outcome, I will say that even tho no one HAS to give information about who they on these forums it will certainly go a long way toward them being taken seriously.

It is easy to hide behind anonimity on these message boards and if you are willing to be critical of other people you should at least be man enough to stand behind your words.

4. JTMS

JTMS Valued Member

Very well said!!!!!!!!!

5. shimajiro

shimajiro Valued Member

Some of my unanswered questions have been VERY specific. Many of my general comments have not been limited to any particular individual, But have intended to present a different view of the TKMA establishment. I will agree that it is probably a little more aggressive than is comfortable for some, but I think the Forum has, as i have stated, the candor and maturity to handle a solid and deep discussion of the topics. I still think that, and I hope that does not change.
    BOTH at the same time!!!!! :eek: too dangerous!!:D
    I only wear my bonnet when I sharpen my kitchen knives, Axe grinding requires full face protection.....
    not really, I am just very curious about what i've seen over the years.
    I don't doubt it, and I would be happy to read his responses or opinions to any questions that I or anyone one else has posted.

"Slanderous - a false and malicious (spoken) statement" please cite any that I have made. As far as accountability is concerned. all Mappers are equally accountable for what they post. When it becomes inappropriate, the Mods will handle it accordingly. Additionally, I am accountable to those I lead, if I attempt a leadership position. As such, I am morally obliged to answer thier questions regardless of age, status, or psuedonym.
    Nor would I,,, remember, I told you a while back that I think we have a lot more in common than not. Your comment furthers that assertion.
    No one has suggested or implied that you are. I don't know what compells you to even say that.
    Defame? insult? Wait a minute, defamation and insults would certainly be an attack, and You said
    anyway

MSM This was a good place for us..... lets stay amicable... and get back on topic maybe. I won't bog down the thread any longer, but pm me if you like. I will do my best to post some ISS vids that are, as I have said, more indicative of his skill. Thats what this thread is about.

6. seo727

seo727 Valued Member

Choiyoungwoo,

Reading your responses and looking at another post you made (in the Kuk Sool forum regarding LH vs. RH training) I can gather that you can make reasonable points and seem to be interested in productive conversations. The issue I had with your previous posts were specific to the tone and derisive nature of your comments regarding GM In Sun Seo. Understand that I have had no context to why you're making these statements and the specific issues/grievences you have and therefore questioned your motives and the nature in which you communicated/posted on this forum. I have also offered my email address to make it easier for you to contact me with the assumption that you would want to engage in a dialogue directly with me. You made it obvious that my assumption was inaccurate. You are correct in your statement that your method of communicating is something I'm not use to (specifically, I'm referring to the anonymous nature of your comments, your stated lack of respect for GM Seo(outside of his MA skills) and the fact that these comments are made in a internet forum environment). However, I suppose that is within your right unless your comments can be deemed as libel (given that your comments are in writing) from a legal perspective (which I agree has not happened). In anycase, I've provided my information to you and that's my offer that's on the table if you want to take advantage of it.

Btw, the screen shot you posted was from the early 80's in San Leandro, CA I believe. I was between 4-5 years old at the time. I have not seen that video for several years now and I am interested in how you were able to obtain it. To my knowledge, there is only one copy that I know of.

Steve Seo

7. Out-to-Lunch

Out-to-Lunch Valued Member

8. samurang

samurang New Member

Ji ap sool is always nice to practice. I like the movie clip, GM is relaxed but in ful control.

Best regards

Pierre Sundin

9. shimajiro

shimajiro Valued Member

Typical ji ap sool , obviously demonstrated in the context of teaching, with an emphasis on the "flow" from def to attack (notice the repeated stress on pressing forward with a counter after "receiving" the attack). It's an um/yang thing.... It is hard to "get " the context of the skill unless you are there. Many would be critical of this vid if they were limited by viewing it solely in the context of SD/ fighting. It's only a piece of the puzzle, not the answer to the attack. This is identical to what is taught in WKSA /KSW. For those of you that are HKD "purists", if this is HKD, then this is another example of how the 2 arts are at least "first cousins" but again that line remains throughly distorted, and will probably remain that way.

Ji Ap Sool is the Korean term for shiatsu, the difference between theraputic massage and martial application is physically very little (tip of finger vs. pad of finger, amt and direction of pressure, etc) and mentally only a difference of intent or will.. Really neat stuff...

10. JTMS

JTMS Valued Member

I was actually at this training session. It wa at Master Leis Kims' dojang in Cali. As usual Grand Master Seo did not let us down. The Ji Ap Sool is just a small taste of what was covered in that eight hour session.

11. samurang

samurang New Member

I´m looking forward to WC next year in Korea, and to pracitce with GM Seo.

Master Murphy will you atend the WC 2008?

Kuk Sool and Hapki-4 ever!

Best regards/Pierre Sundin

12. JTMS

JTMS Valued Member

I will see you there! It never fails to amaze me when I get to World Championships in Bussan and see that HUGE tournament.

I think we a scheduled for training at the Korea Kuk Sool Assn. HQ in Bussan again!!

13. JTMS

JTMS Valued Member

Master Steve Seo Seminar

Well we had the Master Steve Seo Kuk Sool Hapkido seminar here in Texas last week and it was great!! Master Seo is a grat martial artist in his own right. I know that he has a couple of seminars in the near future one I think is in Wahington state and the other in Mississippi.

Feel free to contact me or World KIDO Federation for more info:

www.kidohae.com

14. 3rd Eye

3rd Eye New Member

Moosulmaster,

Do you know if Master Steve or the HMJ Hapkido Association have any dvds with the syllabus of techniques on it. I know there are some workshop Dvd's out but I haven't heard of any material with the syllabus on it. Is it the same syllabus as the WKSA or are there some differences? I've seen the "Ki Hyung" form... are there any other forms that differ from WKSA?

15. JTMS

JTMS Valued Member

Ki Hap Hyung is the only "different" form that I am aware of. Grand Master Seo put it together for seminar purposes to demonstrate advanced principals and technique. I like several other KIDO/HMJ masters have all the KUK Sool hyung on video. However they have not been put together for in an edited format or been approved to sale.

16. shimajiro

shimajiro Valued Member

I am, Thank You for saying so. I understand that might not have been easy for you to do.. What's best for students of MA carries a high priority for me. Which is part of why I participate on MAP.

I understand.
    Well that's not really what I meant, I wasn't refering to anonymity, respect, or the fact that it is on an internet forum.

I was referring possibility that you probably operate under circumstances where people treat you according to your name/rank/position, and may not spend as much time dealing with people (non-MAists/students) who will not subordinate themselves to those things voluntarily. Please don't take that as an insult, but all martial art teachers exsist in that circumstance to some degree and, over time, if we are in that circumstance enough, we become less adept to dealing with people outside of that circumstance on equal footing, and we tend to expect others to treat us like our students do.

We (MAP) are just a bunch of people discussing a common interest. We are all just people, equal people, not ranks with surnames in a caste system. I think using anonymous pseudonyms helps us post as people, not ranks.

Well, the offer sounds nice and diplomatic and all, but your offer
    is not really needed. you can do all that here on MAP. I have posted more than enough to respond to, so if you would like to read previous posts and reply to anything, go ahead, I would really enjoy reading them, and I am sure some HKD MAPers would also. If not, that's ok too. No sweat!

Kahm Pai (with a Maek Ju)
    Choi

17. JTMS

JTMS Valued Member

Hello Choi Young-Woo,

After reading your last post I responded to it right away.....and then deleted my words. I felt I needed to sleep on this before I responded. It kind of amazes me that you and I post on this thing as often as we do! I have very little time to do so and I know now that you and I are in the same boat as we both run big TKMA programs (yep I know who you are).

I took some time to read a lot of your posts here on map. It is funny that you kept saying how much we have in common; I had no idea at the time and really took it w/ a grain of salt.

In reading your posts I did notice a few things that I would like to ask/ talk about.

1. You seem unhappy w/ your org. Why are you still there?

2. You seem unhappy w/ your Grand Master. Why are you still w/ him?

3. Why do you say neg. things about your own org and GM in this forum and expect me and others to take you seriously when you make negative comments about mine?

I am all for freedom of speech......say what you want. I do find it hypocritical to ride the fence while training for 5th dan while throwing rocks at your own group in disguise in a public forum. I do NOT understand where your words come from. I think it is prob unwise for a person in your position to throw rocks at his own org. If I owned a restaurant I would not get on line and talk about how the meat stinks.

If you don't like your org.....get out. If you have issue with your GM (or mine for that matter) TELL HIM.

Perhaps this forum is where you vent. I am unsure of your motive but I find your words and actions less than honorable and unwise.

18. shimajiro

shimajiro Valued Member

no doubt! I think we all end up spending more time on MAP than we intend.
    Without doubt, it is the best available by a significant margin, and certainly more good than bad. Also, Lots of time invested and I LOVE the ART!

First, none of us are above critique. Second,Why wouldn't you take it seriously? Why is dissent intolerable or non credible?
    So...if some one comments positively on their own org and then positively on yours would you also not take them seriously? anyway..... I have remarked in favor of, opposed to , and marginally to many things, without positive or negative bias to a "style" including my own. unlike most people who always blindly tout only their "style" .. I would think that would seem more credible than not. But , to each their own...

Gahm Pai
    CYW

19. JTMS

JTMS Valued Member

I think you have ignored or at least not touched much upon my key point. You are promoting your org and grand master in public yet here in this forum you have chosen to make negative comments. It is NOT a question of "style" like it or not you and I pretty much practice and teach the same martial art.

You asked: "Why is dissent intolerable or non credible?"

As a martial arts teacher I am surprised that you have to ask such a question. Dissent from within your own house, with your own Grand Master IS intolerable. You signed up to be his student not the other way around. If you’re Grand Master or org is not holding up their end of the student Master relationship you are free to leave as others have.

In my opinion to speak negative publicly in any way against your Grand Master and your org is just self destructive. You are not building anything up you are just pulling it down. I would recommend that you lead by example instead of publicly embarrassing your TKMA org.

I will also say that I feel sure that if your Grand Master knew of your "dissent" things probably would not go well for you.

20. KoreanWarrior

KoreanWarrior Valued Member

The true test would be to see how CYW would repsond if some of his students were posting on MAP saying they didnt like the way he was running his school and they way he taught and the fees he's charging ...etc. I bet he would be quick to point out "my way or the highway" rather quickly and bluntly.
    This is a common trait in people. The ones that are critical of everyone are the same ones that when criticized themselves are highly offended. But I think you see this MooSul Master.
    I also see the same atttitude when someone is going to leave an org. While they're still in it they run it down almost justifing in their own minds why they need to leave. They start talking their retoric(sp) until they beleive it themselves. But what do you expect when someone hangs around negative people like a well known KSW master that has recently left KSW and has a big magazine article about leaving. When you hang around negative thinking people you can only start thinking negative. Birds of a feather deal you know.