Gloves...

Discussion in 'Kickboxing' started by leeless, Jun 4, 2004.

1. leeless

leeless Handshaker extraordinaire

Hi there...

I've been doing Kickboxing for a few months and I've decided to buy some gloves. I don't know the first thing about them and I'm thrown by all the different weights. can you guys explain things to me.

Thanks in advance...

2. Jax

Jax New Member

the higher the weight the bigger the gloves basicly, so a 16oz will be big and well padded, i use 10oz they still have good padding but also are light.

3. leeless

So it has nothing to do with hand size? What weight glove would you reccommend to a beginner like me?

4. rocky

rocky Valued Member

I use 10oz gloves too.this is the weight of competition gloves(same with boxing i think),so it's easier getting comfortable with 10oz from the start.If you have small hands wear hand wraps or maybe 8oz gloves.

5. HearWa

HearWa Ow, that hurt...

I usually try to wear a heavier set pair of gloves. Later when you spar with lighter gloves it will feel like your hands are floating in the air!

6. Scotty Dog

Scotty Dog www.myspace.com/elhig

I prefer most of my guy's to use 14-16 Oz in class, but due to being of small stature there are a couple that use 10Oz. Best thing to do is ask your coach & see what he recomends.

7. JohnnyX

JohnnyX Map Addict

Would I be wrong in thinking that MA clubs/instructors can source equipment for you? - Ask. Sometimes they have spare pairs lying around that students have left after class. (Beats me how they can do that!). Or even gloves that you can 'try before you buy'.

Presumably, there are other students at your club - Ask if you can try their Gloves on for a couple of minutes. That way you may be able to try different weights.

Most of all, your Instructor should be able to guide you.

Cheers. :)

8. Pepsi32123

Pepsi32123 New Member

If we forget a glove, we just borrow one from the instructor. He's just got them from people who sold them to him, people who left them and never returned, and so on. We can only use red Macho gear that will fit our hands. those are our only requiremnts.

9. marcusknight

marcusknight Valued Member

i use 14 oz gloves by olympic sport, the yare the best ones i have comeacross so far, dont get fingerless gloves as they are illegal in many competitions

10. Mushroom

Mushroom De-powered to come back better than before.

10oz gloves are more or less standard. Although you would also need shin guards w/ instep, mouth guards.
    Have you found a class yet? Most classes you wont even be using your gloves till after a few classes. Bare-knuckle punching to focus mitts is what i usually do. Only use the gloves during sparring.

11. leeless

Yeah, as stated in the post, I've been doing it for about 5 monthes. I've taken my red belt and learnt a few advanced techniques. I've got a mouthguard and I've had a few sparring sessions with borrowed gloves. My class is all levels so I've had to show that I'm committed and can control myself before the instructor let me spar.

12. oldshadow

oldshadow Valued Member

Almost all guys should spar with 16 oz gloves. This serves two purposes it reduces the damage to sparring partners due to the increased padding and it helps protect you hands. The object in sparring is to simulate fight conditions while minimizing the damage. You can still do quite a bit of damage with the 16 oz gloves on but it does help the real problem with sparing. That is cuts and hand damage. You should wear headgear when you spar also along with foot and shin gear. You should have good boxing style head gear the leather type. Also the gloves should be of good leather. You will not wear them out. I have given away head gear because I was tired of it and wanted new but haven’t worn it out. Just do a little maintenance on it every now and then. The same with the gloves. A lot of the girls and some of the smaller guys will use 12 or 14 oz gloves. I don’t like to see anything below 14 oz on almost anyone. In fact on some of the guys that have real power we moved them up to 18 oz. If you are hitting the bags you can use smaller gloves. Using the bigger gloves does add weight there by making you work harder when you hit the bags so most guys use their sparing gloves. 10 and 8 oz gloves are fight gloves and should not be used in the gym other then the 10’s for the smaller girls and maybe bag work. You should also invest in a good foul guard. It should be the leather type without the hip pads so you can kick in it. The normal point sparing cup is not good for the hard contact kickboxing type of sparing. This also will last you forever. Also a good mouth guard. I know this all adds up. But if you want to spar safely you need to invest in it. Buy what you can when you can. You can probably use the gym gloves for awile but they do smell because of all the use and a lot of people don’t like the idea of putting their hands where a lot of other people have sweated.

13. alex_000

alex_000 You talking to me?

I' m very happy with my 12oz twins. Using them for sparring and ... virtually anything.

My advice is.
    1. Buy your own gloves , dont use the gyms'.
    2.Try at least 4-5 brands and sizes and prefer leather.
    3.Look for good thumb support , wrist support and tight fit (meaning no gaps when you put your hand in the glove)
    4.dont forget hand wraps.

cheers and good luck

Last edited: Jul 2, 2004
  14. marcusknight

marcusknight Valued Member

i dont feel 18 oz or 16oz are necesary, u should be able to control the amount of power u use so not to casue too much damage but still be an effective fight scenario, if u like goign full out like i do to simulate a street scenario then u must learn to take as well as give so 18oz and 16oz i feel are unneccesary, 16 oz might be ok when fighting ppl who are nervous about being hit hard but not 18oz they defeat the whole point of a street scenario, the lower the weight the better really if ur oponent wants to practice street scenarios, i use 14oz so i dont do too much damage and the ppl i fight use 10oz, we still hurt eachother but rarely do any bad damage, bad ankle injuries are common but that dosent matter what pads u wear

15. leeless

Well, last night I bought a friends gloves. 10oz, elasticated with velcro strap. They feel good and they're quality (just a bit second hand). £8!

I know that this isn't as good for full contact as 14 - 16oz gloves, but I did a load of sparring with various opponants and it seems OK. I don't strike very hard, because I'm new at this, more often than not, we will stop and my opponant will give me tips. It really is light sparring.

The only problem was I came up against one guy who strikes hard. I had a hard time forcing myself to hit him just as hard back. I couldn't just "tap" him like with the others because his guard was really good so I felt like I was just getting pummelled.

Oooooooooo...so much to learn *Bounces on the spot, knocking gloves together*

16. oldshadow

oldshadow Valued Member

Sorry I must have misunderstood I haven’t been reading this forum long. I thought the question was about gloves for kickboxing. If you are training but light contact sparring then any gloves will do. If you are sparing as in kickboxing/boxing gym sparring then the 16 oz gloves are necessary. I am not that big and have broken sparring partners ribs with a body shot and 16 oz gloves. I have seen plenty of knockdowns with 16 oz gloves. I have seen a heavy weight pro damage the bone structure around the eye of a sparring partner who got cocky with him. This was another heavy weight. If you are going to be a fighter or be able to fight like a fighter then you have to do “hard contact” sparring. This does not mean to go in there with someone above your skill level and have him or her beat your brains out. This is the way it used to be in a lot of the boxing/kickboxing gyms. They wanted to see if you had what it takes before the spent time on you. The partner with the most skill should be pushing you to your maximum. That’s how you improve. Once you have attained some skill you should be able to go with someone of the same level and rumble. That’s how you see if what you have been training works. That’s also how you learn to make things work. Kickboxing/boxing is not training for the street but it can really help your all around street readiness if you combine it with other things.

17. leeless

My street has tractors on it. I don't train for the street. I just enjoy Kickboxing. At the moment, I'm learning how to spar, not fight. I don't strike hard, I do things lightly and try to build up my reflexes and defenses, as well as developing my attack technique. Most of the time its friendly (by that, I mean not competitive sparring). I think after a while I will start harder contact, but for the time being, I'm just having fun.

One person described MA as like a game of chess. I'm just learning to play the game right now. :)