Globalisation

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by Alexander, Nov 15, 2004.

?

Your opinion on Globalisation?

1. Globalisation should be encouraged!

50.0%
  2. Globalisation should be stopped!

28.6%
  3. Don't know and/or care.

21.4%
  1. Alexander

Alexander Possibly insane.

So is it good or evil?

Please contribute!!!!!

2. choconutjoe

choconutjoe New Member

I'm sure it will bring many benfits and problems. But I think in either case it is inevitable.

3. gedhab

gedhab Valued Member

it should be limited, it is destroying other cultures and imposing american/western culture on the rest of the world and influencing people that it is not relevant to.

4. LilBunnyRabbit

LilBunnyRabbit Old One

As usual, its a case of survival of the fittest. The reason that Western culture is being imposed is rather simple, its a more successful culture. If people really disliked it as much as they claim, then it wouldn't have spread as far as it has. Either way though I'm pretty much neutral to it. Its either going to happen or its not, and getting wound up about it does nothing.

5. gedhab

gedhab Valued Member

its due to the dominant economic power of western countries that their culture becomes increasingly dominant and globalised. Its not that people want it so much, its being imposed on them through powerful advertising techniques using the media nad other agencies. This slowly has an affect on local people and hteir own culture slowly diminishes....unfortunately :bang:

6. Shadow_of_Evil

Shadow_of_Evil wants to go climbing...

I don't think globalisation will ever happen or could ever happen for reason I wont post here out of fear of being flamed.

What do you define as successful?

7. LilBunnyRabbit

LilBunnyRabbit Old One

In this case, most dominant and wide-spread.

8. Shadow_of_Evil

Most dominant over what? Which countries are we speaking of here? In what way have they expressed or proven dominance?

9. Alexander

I believe that the implication by LilBunnyRabbit is that Neoliberal 'free-market' economies are currantly seen to be the most efficient and contain the most reliable means of generating wealth for the population.

EDIT: The countries in question are primarily the U.S and the member nations of the E.U.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2004
  10. LilBunnyRabbit

LilBunnyRabbit Old One

By successfully spreading and being adopted by other countries. Sorry, didn't realise it was such a difficult concept to grasp.

11. Shadow_of_Evil

Okay. But are we classing globalisation as who has the most money and strongest economy or who controls who?

12. Shadow_of_Evil

Sorry but I didn't realise that you find it too difficult to grasp the fact that I asked for examples of Western culture doing this...

13. LilBunnyRabbit

LilBunnyRabbit Old One

Globalisation of the Western culture, as stated near beginning of the thread. Meaning that the western culture is growing to a global scale at the expense of other cultures. Personally in some cases I'd say this is very much a good thing.

14. Athleng Nordic

Athleng Nordic Sadly passed away. RIP. Supporter

Sooner or later it'll happen, but not in my lifetime I would guess.

15. Shadow_of_Evil

You have got to be kidding me?

16. Alexander

I disagree. If you look at all countries where Globalisation has been a dominant feature of their economies the only culture that seems to have changed is that instead of living in shacks with bad facilities people now live in modern apartment blocks with access to clean water supplies. People may dress differantly as well. But how they act, their religion, their prefered foodstuffs etc all remain the same fundamentally.

17. Shadow_of_Evil

Does include American history concerning the natives? Or Australia with the aboriginals?

18. gedhab

gedhab Valued Member

don't be naive mate. :rolleyes: People who live in those nice conditions you stated are people with money. I doubt poor farmers in developing countries can afford to live in apartment blocks, eat mc donalds, drink coke and wear Nike clothing. :rolleyes:

19. Alexander

Globalisation here refers to the emergance of a colossal Global economy not Imperialism by superpowers.

Yes, the way that the Western European nations have acted throughout history (e.g. thinking that it has been the 'white man's burden' to educate the poorer nations by forcing them to convert to a certain religion etc...) has been abhorrant.

Countries who have experianced immense globalisation include: Japan, South Korea, Singapore, and more recently Taiwan and Thailand.

20. Shadow_of_Evil

In reply to Gedhab

Exactly. Even the non westernised countries have areas where the people thrive and live comfortably out of shacks. And even the Western countries (ie America and England) have there absolute craps holes people call home.