gilbert yvel vs Atte Backman - yvel ko's referee

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by ChangNam, Feb 27, 2011.

1. ChangNam

ChangNam Valued Member

What u guys think ?? ;)
    Gilbert is my favorite fighter. And i know that him have ADHD + + but to KO the referee. Was way out of line if u ask me,,....

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LZkTADNqQEM"]YouTube - gilbert yvel vs Atte Backman - yvel ko's referee[/ame]

2. slipthejab

slipthejab Hark, a vagrant! Supporter

yeah the background on this fight is a bit odd...

source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gilbert_Yvel

I always wondered what the deal was. Gilbert always had a reputation as a poor sport. Why on earth though would they let his opponents manager also ref the fight!??! That really is just a recipe for disaster to be honest. I've seen similar things here in Hong Kong quite often. When you have one gym that promotes the fights and the gym owners are the fighters and the promoters... it means lots of canned fights. Uggh... certain promotions aren't even worth going to watch anymore because of this sort of stupid arrangement.

At any rate... wish we knew what the deal was with this fight... like sound or something... to understand what's being said. On the face of it... looks like typical Gilbert Yvel however... could be that mixed with poor promotion work eg. one fighters camp officiating on the fight.

3. ChangNam

ChangNam Valued Member

Thanks for some info on that one.... I think its sick anyway. Jerome Le Banner have done some thing similar.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qd7qSVG0OHA&feature=related"]YouTube - jerome le banner[/ame]

4. Kuma

Kuma Lurking about

Despite being skilled fighters, it's guys like that that make the sport look bad.

5. ChangNam

ChangNam Valued Member

I not agree to what you say. If you go out with me or some friends. And you are the one who get drunk. Talking loud and rude to peoples around you. And your friends just behave like normal. Then you are the one who makes your self look bad. Peoples around you will look you down and think. What a fool.. And not think or judge your friends. Maybe someone would. But NO you are the one who gets all the attention. And not your friends...

6. Kuma

Kuma Lurking about

A lot of people already think combat sports are filled with mindless brutes. We shouldn't give them any more ammunition. If he ever fights again, it's a darn shame as it's just going to take that much longer for the sport to recover from.

7. ChangNam

ChangNam Valued Member

If hi ever fights again ?? Gilbert is still around... But i have to agree to the ammunition comment.. :woo:

8. slipthejab

slipthejab Hark, a vagrant! Supporter

This doesn't make any sense. We're talking ring sport fighting with very clear cut rules and you're trying to compare it with someone getting drunk out in public and being an ass. Two very different scenarios. Apples to Oranges comparison.

I actually quite liked Jerome LeBanner. Very tough fighter and big heavy guy that could punch and kick. I've seen several interviews with him and he is a big tough guy but comes off as fairly personable in his interviews as well.

The shot he lands on this opponent after the bell is far different than what Gilbert Yvel pulled off. I have no doubt both of these cats can bring it in the street or pretty much any environment but fighting in the ring is a privilege and you agree to adhere to certain rules and regulations. Both fighters overstepped those rules. However LeBanner crossed the line... Yvel warmed up, too a running leap in a pair of new track shoes and lept over that line by miles. Very very poor form. Far worse than LeBanner IMHO.

9. Kuma

Kuma Lurking about

I don't follow too much of the fight game anymore, I didn't realize this was old. I personally don't think the guy should have been allowed to keep fighting after that, but that's just me.

10. ChangNam

ChangNam Valued Member

What ever !! I agree and disagree with you,,... So you are saying that. Everyone is now judging all Martial Artists and MMA fighters. Under the same roof ? Just because Gilbert did step over the line. Gilbert made him self look bad. The sport it self have nothing to do with that !!! MA is about self control,honor,pride and respect. But some are different from others !

You are saying something like. If someone from another nationality. Then what you are. Do something wrong. You will judge them all. Just because one of them did something bad.