Gikan Ryû Koppojutsu

Discussion in 'Ninjutsu' started by Kikaku, May 3, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cuchulain

Cuchulain Valued Member

Getting back to the topic of the thread, I would like to make a comment on the link posted above - it's an interesting read (and I have nothing against Mr Pulwer at all) but people trying to seperate the wheat from the chaff should realise that the vast majority of the information out there on Gikan Ryu is conjecture, not fact.

I understand how this stuff finds its way onto the net - people think that it's better than there is something there rather than nothing, but to the best of my knowledge - and I am willing to be proven wrong on this - the only official information given out by Hatsumi Soke on this school is the lineage list given to Paul Richardson for his History of the Schools of the Bujinkan book, and whatever is in the recent Koppojutsu DVD from quest. He mentions the school here and there in some of his books, but pretty much everything else is unreliable, and should probably be discounted.

People get excited about Gikan Ryu and the other less well known stuff because they think that's its special or in some way exclusive but it really doesn't affect our training one way or the other.

Learning kobudo is a little different to modern martial arts, and trusting your teacher is very important. I think if it was important for us to study Gikan Ryu, there'd be a Quest DVD on it and probably a book and it would have been the subject of theme for a year. There isn't, so either it's not very interesting, not very important or it's being reserved for close students.

That doesn't mean that ideas from it haven't made their way into Budo Taijutsu, but it does mean there are probably better ways to spend your time than worrying about it.

2. Keikai

Keikai Banned Banned

I think its fair to say though that although there is a lot of politics with the BBD, they are generally honest people looking for training, eh Dan!!!

3. Keikai

Keikai Banned Banned

Hmm yes, what was that? how does the story go???? ;)

4. Lord Spooky

Lord Spooky Banned Banned

A Long Time Ago in a Galaxy Far, Far Away....???

5. Keikai

Keikai Banned Banned

No, Star wars would be closer to the truth!!! ;)

6. xen

xen insanity by design

LOL.

yes Greg, the people still training at our dojo fit that description perfectly

:D

;)

:cool:

7. Lord Spooky

a? what someone angry about not being promoted to the rank of Jedi Master?

8. xen

xen insanity by design

like i said greg, i'm not as young as i was and my memory isn't quite as sharp as once it was...

i'm sure there was a tale to be told, but i don't think its my place to tell it...

(if i could remember what it was of course, which i can't, honest guv'nor, i wasn't there, i've no knowlege of such things...)

;) :D :Angel:

9. Keikai

Keikai Banned Banned

I'm sure it will all come out in the wash, some time or another!!! ;) :D

10. Keikai

Keikai Banned Banned

Not when they have only just started their training!!! :D

11. Keikai

Keikai Banned Banned

Send my apologies Dan, its a shame to tar them with the same brush as some who just dont respect others especially their teacher, i read a bit in Kodo last night about it, will have to write it out. It details that its the respectful ones that get the better training

12. Lord Spooky

Oh bugger we're screwed :D :D I'll hand my belt in and go :D

13. xen

xen insanity by design

appology most definatley accepted greg, i'll pass it on to my instructors at the dojo.

cheers.

:)

14. Keikai

Keikai Banned Banned

you should do, he's said you lot are crap, i'm crap, we are all crap, and i'm a brownnoser!!!! :D

lets give up now!!!

15. 2E0WHN

2E0WHN Valued Member

Email Ashida Kim about being Jedi. :D

16. Lord Spooky

a? who said who's crap? :confused: compared to what or who even?

17. The Evil Hobo

The Evil Hobo New Member

Oh no the people are massing what ever shall i do. Quick someone hold me.

18. Keikai

Keikai Banned Banned

no, just find someone else to teach you, i'm crap remember, at least with crap there is a starting point, crap - master in one easy steal!!! :rolleyes: ;) :D

19. Lord Spooky

?? Yeah like I'm going to go and break contact with someone of Norms ability :rolleyes:

20. Keikai

Keikai Banned Banned

Thats's Tony's next port of call!!!

Then Dux :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.