Gi washing

Discussion in 'Brazilian Jiu Jitsu' started by gornex, Apr 11, 2007.

1. gornex

gornex Valued Member

k, couple questions about my Gi. I got a competition gi and i was wondering about washing it. I wanted to know if you have to wash it in cold water and if i dry it will it shrink? I also wanted to know how long it will take to dry if i can't put it in the dryer. Also i know i have heard about washing it after every lession, but i plan on going alot, so many days back to back, so will it dry out in time? I know i don't wana be the stinky kid so if washing it everyday is what i have to do i will do it.

2. pauli

pauli mr guillotine

wash the hell out of it. hot water, hot dryer. shrink it now, rather than slowly over time. one way or another it's gonna shrink so you might as well get it out of the way and as clean as possible every time.

line drying results in gis that smell of mildew more often than not.

a quality gi will last for years even under heavy washing and drying.

if you have concerns about getting your gi clean and dry in time for class... buy another. i have two, and wash them both twice a week - one class for each, then washed and dried. no exceptions. i've even got a backup gi for emergencies.

but yeah... wash that thing no matter what. if your gi isn't washed and at least 90% dry, it doesn't belong on the mats.

3. Stevebjj

Stevebjj Grappling Dummy

If you don't want to dry it in a dryer, plan on buying at least 3 gis. It will take at least 2 days to hang dry. That's been my experience.

Or you can buy one, dry it in the dryer and look at buying another one in a year or two. Personally, I own three, wash and dry them all and don't fret about it. If they fit and don't have holes, great. When they wear out, I'll buy new ones.

Just because BJJ is the gayest sport ever doesn't mean we have to act like we're on Queer Eye for the Straight Guy! :)

I will say that I don't tend to wash them in hot water, but I did do so the first 3 times so that they would shrink.

4. fanatical

fanatical Cool crow

Yes and yes. Wash it in cold water and yes it will shrink if you put it in the dryer. This is the reason people usually buy gi's that are a bit too big and then shrink them on purpose so they won't have that problem later.

I usually wash my gi right after I get home and hang it to dry over night which is plenty of time for it to dry for practice the next day. It's a good habit to pick up.

It also helps to have several gi's just in case. But not everyone wants to shell out more money for that.

Edit: Damnit! you beat me to it!

5. Stevebjj

Stevebjj Grappling Dummy

What brand of gi did you buy? Some are made to shrink and others (like Gameness and Koral) are pre-shrunk.

6. Atharel

Atharel Errant

My Atama gi shrunk after I got it.

Cold wash + mostly hang dry for me (and Febreeze anti-microbial!). If you're concerned about drying doing damage to your gi, dry it on the lowest heat setting or even tumble. This will minimize the damage to the weaving. Tumble + hanging over night will almost certainly have it dry for the next day.

Speaking of which, I need to get a new second gi, my old Aikido/Judogi finally ripped. Lasted a long time. *lowers head in silence for the fallen* I admit that I did dry it about every time and even *gasp* bleached it once in a while. Don't do that if your gi is expensive. Don't.

7. pauli

pauli mr guillotine

gis are consumables.

8. gornex

gornex Valued Member

Thanks for the advice, one more question, if it does happen to shrink is there any disadvantage to having a gi that is a little small?

9. Stevebjj

Stevebjj Grappling Dummy

I'd wear it if it's within an inch or so. If it fits through the chest, I wouldn't worry too much about length of sleeves on the jacket or pants (within reason).

That said, you might need to buy one that fits for tournament use. Tournaments usually have guidelines.

10. pauli

pauli mr guillotine

a gi either fits, or it doesn't. if it fits, wear it. if it doesn't, give it away or sell it and buy one that does.

what you have to remember is that cotton stretches, as well as shrinks - to an extent, the gi will shrink to fit you.

what brand is the gi in question, anyway?

11. gornex

gornex Valued Member

lol the thing is i don't have it yet so i don't know. They didn't have my size at the time, so right now i am training in like shorts and t-shirt. I am just trying to get some information so when i get it i know what to do. I should have it within a few days, so i will get back to you.

12. Stevebjj

Stevebjj Grappling Dummy

What kind did you buy?