gi: shureido or tokaido, tournament or traditional cut

Discussion in 'Karate' started by mebsd, Dec 15, 2014.

1. mebsd

mebsd Valued Member

Hello,

It's time to buy a new gi and I would like to hear your opinions. I want to go with "Tokaido Ultimate" or "Shureido K 10/TK 10", but I still have a few questions. In the last 4-5 years I trained in a cheep gi, was ok, but it's time to look and feel more professional :). I don't compete. I know that both are very good and I can not go wrong with either but just to be sure. I will like to have the 12oz version.

- first, I am not decided if I should consider a traditional cut or tournament cut, any opinions on that? I like how the "kata/tournament cut" looks with shorter sleeves and shorter pants, but I don't really like that they have a "too" long top and maybe too wider sleeves and pants. For the traditional cut I like because from what I see and I understand the gi is not so big/large.

- second, I was thinking to buy (for the same price) maybe two gis, a bit cheaper, from Tokaido, for example "TOKAIDO Karategi KATA MASTER" and "TOKAIDO Karategi KUMITE MASTER" but I heard that these cheap gis are made in China and they are not the same quality as the top 3-4 Tokaido gis. How should I know if they are made in Japan or not?

- it's a bit difficult to chose the size, because I will order them online, and the size will vary a bit for different companies. I am 1.78 m, and 83 kg. Any advices if you have a similar build?

I am living in Germany so, the links where I will order them are here:

http://www.tokaido.de/produkt/de/budo/597/-/TOKAIDO_Karategi_KATA_MASTER.html

and

http://www.kamikaze.de/de/Karateanzuege/Shureido

Thank you very much and cheers!

2. John Titchen

John Titchen Still Learning Supporter

My 2 Tokaido Gi lasted twenty years before a seam near the neck for the inner lining gave up the ghost. The trousers are still going strong.

My Hirota (made to measure) is about 14 years old now and still going strong.

Attached Files:

3. mebsd

mebsd Valued Member

Thanks!

Yes, the Tokaido made in Japan last for many years but I didn't hear good things about the ones made in China, that's why I asked how I can check that.

I was thinking about Hirota as well, but will take 2-3 months to have it, I guess.

I really like your gi, is not baggy and the top is not long. But I suppose is the Hirota "made to measure", right? Is that 12oz?

4. John Titchen

John Titchen Still Learning Supporter

The Hirota was made to measurements I submitted.

I honestly can't remember what weight it was but 12oz sounds about right.

5. mebsd

mebsd Valued Member

ok, thanks. Let's see some opinions about my questions :)