Gi Equivalent of MMA

Discussion in 'MMA' started by Pretty In Pink, May 20, 2012.

1. Gripfighter

Gripfighter Sub Seeker

ok

2. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

As there literally giving their posture to you, there hip caging pressure and base is the only thing left preventing guard attacks.

A 'average' purple belt vs mark kerr in his prime may not be able to capatalise on this.

3. Moosey

Moosey invariably, a moose Supporter

See the last paragraph here. There are other references on the web, but this is the clearest.

4. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

The distinctly above average Fabio Gurgel couldn't capitalise on it. :)

5. icefield

icefield Valued Member

Hey all he had to do was deal with a wrestlers base and hip riding ability..im mean that’s not a hard thing to do is it, where did he go wrong:eek:

6. callsignfuzzy

callsignfuzzy Is not a number!

It wasn't just them. Ken Shamrock used them in early events, as did guys with little or no actual wrestling background who happened to end up on top.

Personally, I'd be in favor of adding in headbutts again, but I can understand why they're banned. The thing is, if someone is in your guard and headbutts are allowed, you've got three striking limbs to worry about and only two of your own to really defend with. Guard work is almost entirely nullified by conservative ground-and-pound; imagine if the top man could use both his arms to hold an opponent while opening him up with the boney part of his own skull. Cut stoppages would be up, at least.

Now if the gi were mandatory, controlling the top man's collar might negate some of this. Who knows? I can't recall too many early MMA events that allowed headbutts where both guys were wearing a gi, and ended up in full guard.

7. callsignfuzzy

callsignfuzzy Is not a number!

There was one early event in Japan that I think took place on tatami mats (no ring or cage) in which a gi top was mandatory. Been trying to find Youtube clips of it... will try to get back when I can, if this doesn't motivate someone else to find it first! :D

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gR-ejmq339o"]Lumax Cup 95 HL (by Yukiore) - YouTube[/ame]

Lumax Cup! Found it!

Last edited: May 25, 2012
  8. SuperBoy

SuperBoy New Member

Hokutoryu jiu jitsu?

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wzQBrMlHY90"]Hokutoryu jujutsu demo - YouTube[/ame]

9. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

That looks hardcore. Still no punches to the head though. I would definitely take this class.

10. Kuma

Kuma Lurking about

From a few friends of mine who train Kudo the helmet doesn't really affect your breathing at all. It actually doesn't protect against much impact either. It seems the main thing for it is to prevent cuts from elbows and headbutts.