Gi Equivalent of MMA

Discussion in 'MMA' started by Pretty In Pink, May 20, 2012.

1. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

I know that you get Japanese Jujutsu format that has a gi, but I would like to see something closer to current MMA in a gi. I think it would make some grappling aspects more prominent, such as Judo, and gi chokes.

Does anybody know of a promotion currently running something like this?

2. Mangosteen

Mangosteen Hold strong not

It was brought up a while back:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wejl8Wa31VA"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wejl8Wa31VA[/ame]

3. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

I agree.
    I also think it would impart some of that "martial artsiness" that I feel MMA is missing. It'd look less "meathead".
    And open up more techniques.
    The down side is that I could see grappling becoming stalled because it'd be easier to get a grip, hold on and ride out the round.

4. Mangosteen

something annoys me about this:
    The only thing the gi would change would be the grappling, it would become more Judo dominant than wrestling. and although it would be nice to seem how gi changes the game,
    Your point kind of devalues wrestling as a martial art. (Which IMO is way more "martial artsiness" than olympic judo.)

5. Gripfighter

Gripfighter Sub Seeker

never herd of combat sambo ? its not that common outside of russia but no harder to find than any other gi mma styles, there's also that japanese one with the crazy head guards.

6. Pretty In Pink

And I agree with you dude. I just don't agree with the quoted part, the only thing that would change would be the techniques used, and Judo become a bit more prominent. Wearing a gi would not make any difference to how "martial arty" the sport is.

7. Gripfighter

Gripfighter Sub Seeker

isnt this just reinforcing ridiculous stereotypes, you have got to be wearing a japanese 18 century equivalent to a track suit or it just doesn't look like a martial art ?

8. Gripfighter

Gripfighter Sub Seeker

some combat sambo. don't look any more or less graceful, skilful or spiritual than mma to me.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BDLc1rERu4M"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BDLc1rERu4M[/ame]

9. Pretty In Pink

Isn't Sambo missing gi bottoms? I'm not complaining, just wondering. Does Sambo have any rules that differ from regular MMA? I know closed guard is illegal, but what about things like spine cranks and whatnot?

Googled it:

http://www.tournament.info/madoc/rules/Sambo_Combat_Rules.pdf

No heel hooks, no elbows or knees. And head guards. I reckon if you remove these and call it "pro Sambo" you\d be onto a winner.

Last edited: May 20, 2012
  10. Gripfighter

Gripfighter Sub Seeker

yeah but they get to wear cool boots,
    but seriously is that really that important ?

that's the rules of one tournament, hard to believe most combat sambo matches go ahead with heel hooks being banned, I was also under the impressions it tends to be more lenient when it comes to elbows knees and heads than mma, could be wrong though.

11. Kurtka Jerker

Kurtka Jerker Valued Member

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tIVFQRz4FpE&feature=related"]All Russia combat sambo championship 2010 - YouTube[/ame]

MMA in a gi with an emphasis on getting the other guy upside down really hard.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-fKeoOaAWVU"]Kudo Daido Juku 3rd World Championship, Tokyo, Japan, 15 november 2009 - YouTube[/ame]

MMA in a gi with an emphasis on punching the other guy in the mouth really hard.

12. Fish Of Doom

Fish Of Doom Will : Mind : Motion Supporter

see the combat sambo video above where a guy gets hit by a flipping tornado kick knee strike in the face.

13. Gripfighter

Gripfighter Sub Seeker

those kudo daido head guards take a lot of ridicule because of how they look but on a practical level don't they play havoc with your breathing and cardio.

14. Mangosteen

i like the wrestling boots rule!

gi pants - could be useful for certain sweeps and control.

also the lack of a belt makes certain throws a bit hard

15. Gripfighter

Gripfighter Sub Seeker

I know but its nit picking really, how often do people even really go for the pants except in judo where people just hug the ground (in competition anyway) until the fight is stood up. Also for something to be a mix of martial arts it has to be equealy fair to grappling as well as striking, and anyone wearing trousers to do a striking martial art has always seemed odd to me. And theres nothing to say that a gi specifically means a jacket and full trousers, there are plenty of old photos of Japanese jiu jitsu guys training in a jacket and shorts.

I don't understand you wear a belt to do sambo, infact over the shoulder belt gripping throws are a very russian way of taking people down in judo/jiu jitsu, its kind of the sambo style.

Last edited: May 20, 2012
  16. Kurtka Jerker

Yep, it is. It changes up the guard passing and the takedown game quite a bit. If you give someone near infallible grips on your legs, you're going to be a lot more cautious about opening your guard to attack or sweep and the guy on top can take a lot more time working his way past guard. It stifles the action. Same on the feet. With the pants your shot or ankle pick entries don't have to be nearly as good because you don't really have to worry about your grips slipping. The kurtka is a smoother, tighter material than the judogi and even then there's an attitude among some sambo schools that even it is just training wheels for throwing. Use it to get in, use it to keep him from running away, but if you can't throw or transition without it, you're doing something wrong.

That and the pants would make the leglock exchanges a lot more stale. Not only is there the risk of getting tangled switching leg-rides, but there are a lot more options for simply locking down and keeping the guy from getting away or advancing in the pants.

It's really just a way to keep the action moving without leaving throws exclusively to the absolute smoothest clinchfighters.

Depends on the promotion. Some permit headbutts and heel hooks, some don't even allow grounded striking. It's one of those things where lots of people compete from small kids all the way up to Fedor, so there's a wide range of rulesets. Combat sambo is usually more permissive than sport sambo.

17. Kurtka Jerker

There are plenty of vids floating around with no-headgear sambo and no-shinguard sambo, by the way.
    Also, the kurtka does have a belt. It's got belt loops specifically because belt-grip clinching and throwing is so common to sambo.

18. Mangosteen

i've always wondered this, headbutts are really no more painful than a solid knee or elbow to the head so why not allow head butts in MMA.

or even the 12-6 elbow? it's not more dangerous than a flying knee

19. Pretty In Pink

I like Sambo, but do they ALWAYS were the head guards?

20. Mangosteen

i thought they didnt cos you have ties on the kurtka!
    thanks for correcting me.