Gi advice/query

Discussion in 'Judo' started by Donny Oddlegs, Aug 9, 2012.

1. Donny Oddlegs

Donny Oddlegs New Member

I've searched for something along the lines of this topic, but can't find one (unless I'm being dim and not noticed one). Oh, as you may guess — I'm new by-the-way. Hello!

To long? Didn't read? See end for synopsis.

What do you do about gi that are too small, aside from buy a larger one and shrink it? Sadly, that may not be viable for me.

I'm getting back into Judo after a very long hiatus and having trouble sizing my Gi. My old one is no use as it is far too small to judge from anyway, due to excessive shrinkage. I'm a tall-ish chap: 6ft3", and now unfortunately just as wide as well. Though thankfully, nothing like Ricardo Blas Jr.'s epic 34st proportions. That said, I do have a 52", maybe even 53" chest.

Went to try a Gi today (Shaolin Way in Islington for UK/London based Judoka) and found that a 6, whilst a touch long of correct sleeve length; I couldn't wrap it over at all. What's more — a 7 buried me otherwise — but still wouldn't wrap over properly. Somehow, I suspect an 8 would be similar. All very depressing. That said, it was very heavy and like a '70/80s cardboard gi. Happy memories. I have also looked a lover the net, but can't find any general measurements that roughly correspond with each.

The obvious answer is to shrink myself instead before re-commencing or buying a gi. In the mean-time though I'd prefer not to waste time:

Is there any possible solution someone can think off? How many here have the same problem? Which manufacturers would you recommend for such sizing issues (if any, of course)?

I'm resigned to the fact that I may have to go no-gi for a while anyway, despite feeling sloppy and a bit of a prat. But then a poorly fitting gi is equally sloppy, possibly even disrespectful to others, as well as being difficult to manoeuvre in. Another solution I have considered is to wear a t-shirt under the kimono and put up with it not overlapping. Not convinced this is necessarily safe for a training partner though.

TL;DR:

Long and short is: can't wrap kimono over properly despite going up a size due to rotund tum. Going up a further size and otherwise shrinking will only cause the same problem.

Advice and/or possible solutions requested? Also recommendations as to which manufacturers may be best in the given situation? Please bear in mind that I can't currently afford £70+ for a single gi, or a custom one, however much I'd love to.

Thanks for your time (and hopefully, advice) and putting up with my ramble.

Donny.

PS. If you'd like a moon on a stick; please ask for one.

2. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

Welcome.
    I'd advise buying a gi large enough to go around the tum and then having the sleeves taken up to fit the arms. Maybe a local alterations firm or family member could do that?
    Maybe look at buying a top and trousers seperately too because a bigger gi top will probably come with massive/long trousers?
    I know some websites do that (dunno why that isn't standard practice TBH).

3. LeaFirebender

LeaFirebender Ice Bear has ninja stars

Haha, you have a great accent :happy: I had trouble understanding you at times :)

Anyway, about the gi. I'm sorry I'm not extremely knowledgable about where to buy them, but I did see a website that sells something called "plus sizes" (but I think those might just be bigger sizes of the same thing, not sure). Here's the link anyway: karate mart Hope that helps

Oh and welcome to MAP :bow1:

4. Herbo

Herbo Valued Member

Toraki personal gold.

They do a greater variety of sizes based on different body types.

Granted its about £80, or was when I got one but its a great kit and worth saving for.

5. Donny Oddlegs

Donny Oddlegs New Member

Thanks for the advice everyone. Went to my first session tonight — ow, ow, ow, ow, ow...forgot how hard the falls can be.

PASmith: In some places it is standard practice; but then, with the advent of the internet shops, they began operating differently. This is probably because it's easier to ship to pre-paired gi, than to collect individual trousers/kimono and get them shipped on time. It was standard practice for my local MA shop when at university, to supply different sizes and colours if one wishes. That said, most high-street shops (in my experience) won't allow this and supply pre-packaged. But yes, my wife said she'll shorten the sleeve if the cloth isn't too heavy. Not sure what the Shaolin Way one was, but I don't want to go back to the bad old days. I've never had a gi so stiff from new since those twilight years.

LFb: Thanks. I'll pass the compliment on to my mother — she's the one responsible — and my school. I've checked the link out, but ordering from the US has caused problems for me before. Nonetheless, thank you!

Herbo: Thank you too. I will give Toraki a try as soon as is possible. Their Dojo gi are quite reasonably priced and I'd imagine very good too. Lightweight is certainly a much better idea until I'm used to wearing one again. Likewise, a Personal Gold will be purchased as soon as finances allow. It's possible to order extra trousers for the Dojo version at a reasonable cost. Then I will get my wife to shorten the inc. pair.

For now, the sensei seems to be happy enough with me in a pair LW Karate Gi trousers until I get the thing sorted. Pro-tem, I may try a lighter Blitz Judogi as they're quite cheap. Doesn't really have to last much longer than 6 months.

Thanks you all, again!
    Donny.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2012
  6. Princess Haru

Princess Haru Valued Member

7. Donny Oddlegs

Donny Oddlegs New Member

Thanks harukoraharu. I looked at playwell but have been a touch sceptical after a few friend's opinions of them weren't too high. Though I will have another look.

Overall I found Blitz to be quite good for the cost and a reasonable size. That said, that was when I could fit a 5 or 6 (to shrink) and it was the only Blitz gi I had. The problem I found mostly, was that it shrank a little too much too quickly. But pro-tem I can get a training gi in 8 from them for £15 and if it comes up short, then that's great considering I'm not 6'8". Or get my wife to hem it. So long as it lasts at least 6 months, then it'll be okay.

I checked Mizuno's (whose gi's I used to use) sizings as they also list chest size — they seem to suggest that an 8 will be my best bet. Like Toraki, they will supply separate sizes for kim/trousers. Presently however, I'm going to have to compromise in some way or other anyway until fully established, when I can justify spending more.

8. righty

righty Valued Member

I would follow along with what PASmith says.

Buy the larger size gi and then get the sleeves and pant legs shortened aftermarket. Depending on how you think you'll go with shrinking yourself you can get a cheaper one. You may find you will need the larger size pants to go around your waist and hips anyway.

Hosuehold sewing machines and needles don't like doing gis so much. I have found the most likely place to get them altered is military supply shops that have industrial sewing machines that are normally used to sew webbing and thick canvas.

9. Donny Oddlegs

Donny Oddlegs New Member

Righty: I've gone with the Blitz and have it on order, it's the largest they have available. For £15 I don't think it's too bad — it's also single weave like my old one. Naturally, I'm expecting a lot of shrinkage, so it may not be terribly suitable after all. Nonetheless, it's worth a try.

Given the compromise and the fact I'm not 6"8'+, I am concerned as to the positioning of the knee patches; although my wife is experimenting with my old gi to see what she can and can't do regarding shortening sleeves/trousers. Hopefully, I'll drop a weight category in good time, so sizing shouldn't be so much of a problem then.

I'll look for a Military Supply shop and see what they say, then let you all know how I get on in a few weeks.

10. Donny Oddlegs

Donny Oddlegs New Member

Update:

The gi arrived yesterday. Predictably the shoulders and under-arm are very baggy, aside from the sleeves/hems/lapel being a good 4-6" too long. The bagginess is a small concern incase it impedes movement. That said, it does wrap-over rather well. It isn't bad for the price and is constructed well, giving-over for some loose threads.

Sadly, other than sleeve/hem, I probably have no control over the above. My wife has looked at it and thinks that even though it's only single weave, any extensive alteration or re-cutting isn't really possible. Although she believes she can do the shortening by hand, a chandler nearby has agreed to have a go in extremis because we asked politely.

Already done a warm(ish) hand-wash to remove some of the stiffness; however, this has done nothing to shrink it. Probably looking at a machine wash and tumble dry, but uncertain as to planning the shrinkage yet. What's more, with the excess cloth that requires removal, shrinking is necessary before altering just incase the sleeves/hem were to shrink again after alteration (not so good).

Does anybody know how badly or well these shrink? Whether the whole kimono shrinks or just the sleeve length? Trying to avoid the skirt doing so too much as it may not wrap very well after. The Mizuno gi(s) I used to wear shrank in the skirt all the time — an utter pain.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2012
  11. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

It's utterly beyond me why gi's can't be pre-shrunk and then sold as sized (so long as you don't boil them or something).
    I'm sure some places sell such things?
    You don't buy a £50 pair of jeans and hope they don't shrink too much.

12. Llamageddon

Llamageddon MAP's weird cousin Supporter

From what I've heard people used to sit in baths to make them shrink!

13. Herbo

Herbo Valued Member

Some judo gis do come as pre-shrunk, others you need to shrink yourself. All aren't pre-shrunk as this would no doubt add to manufacturing costs and put a few more quid on top of the already hefty price tag for a decent judo gi.

I've gotten alright at shrinking gis myself and have a couple now that fit like a glove after shrinking multiple times.

14. righty

righty Valued Member

The shrinking of gis also allows for a personalised fit of the gi. Some purposely shrink to varying degrees to get a better fit.

And jeans do shrink.

15. Alansmurf

Alansmurf Aspire to Inspire before you Expire Supporter

Or have you filled out to the size of the Gi !!!!:evil:

16. Alansmurf

Alansmurf Aspire to Inspire before you Expire Supporter

Waist size remains the same ... its always the clothes that shrink :evil::evil:

17. Herbo

Herbo Valued Member

Haha no, still -81kgs and I haven't gotten any shorter so guess it must be the washing.

18. Donny Oddlegs

Donny Oddlegs New Member

Tried washing and hang-drying twice more — this time with hot water, around the 60º mark — and nothing. If anything, it seems to have lengthened the sleeves somewhat.

Has anybody tried just soaking the oversized areas before putting in a dryer, in order to achieve a more tailored shrinkage?

It's tempting to throw it in a dryer in its current dry state and see what happens, but I have a feeling it may scorch, or the collar/lapel may melt (is it rubber? I've never been too sure) and generally be deleterious. It'll have to be one of those commercial/laundrette machines as well...mudflaps

Last edited: Aug 18, 2012
  19. Herbo

Herbo Valued Member

90 degree washes and full blast on the dryer have never harmed any of the gis I've shrunk.

20. Donny Oddlegs

Donny Oddlegs New Member

Update:

Just been to a laundrette and used one of their large dryers after hand-washing at home. Tried just soaking the areas I wanted to shrink — didn't really work as all of it was wet by the time I got there. Fortunately it was all a bit easier than I remembered...

The sleeves haven't shrunk as much as I'd have liked, but the length of them is much more agreeable now, so I can probably get away with alterations. The wrap-over isn't as good as it was before (naturally), but it's probably still better than the size down. My wife said she'll sew a couple of ties in to keep it together — never had any problems with them being torn-off before. Trousers have only shrunk a little in the thighs, so they're definitely going to need altering.

Now it's time to see how it all works out when in action.

Thanks for all your suggestions — they're very much appreciated.