Getting Up Early

Discussion in 'Newbie Questions' started by Verx, Jun 10, 2007.

1. slipthejab

slipthejab Hark, a vagrant! Supporter

LOL!
    Sigged. :p

(that's two times in a row I've sigged your hawtness.):eek:

2. Su lin

Su lin Gone away

Wow!!!!

I don't know what to say Slip :D

I shall endeavour to keep coming up with sig worthy quotes for you :D

3. SimonW

SimonW Valuated Membeloid

Getting the train to work does pretty much dictate the time you have to get up, and I always make sure I get to the station with plenty of time to spare...

4. Su lin

Su lin Gone away

Lol! That's not what I heard Simon, I thought your daily run for the train was your early morning exercise :D

5. SimonW

SimonW Valuated Membeloid

Sad but true :rolleyes:

6. SiAiS

SiAiS Moved on

I found a new method. This morning I was awoken by the sound of an exploding juice bottle. I left a bottle of Carrot and Orange juice on my kitchen side on Saturday evening, this morning it was all over the walls and ceiling. Conjealed Carot juice, very nice indeed. If you want one the time is approximately 40 hours till blast off.

7. narcsarge

narcsarge Masticated Whey

Now you all know why I prefer working nights! While the rest of the world is asleep, I work. While they are at work, I play. Nobody bothers me at either time. No crowds, no bosses, no fuss.

8. Johnno

Johnno Valued Member

Verx,

Don't assume that you are lazy just because you have trouble waking up in the morning. Your age will probably have a lot to do with it!

Teenagers simply need a lot of sleep. So I'm afraid that going to bed earlier really IS the answer - even if it's not the one that you want to hear! :D

9. Hiroji

Hiroji laugh often, love much

Everyone is different and some need more sleep than others.

I think it all comes down to your mind set though.

When it comes to getting up early to go to work or do something that deep down i don’t want to do i find it mighty hard to get up.

However, if i have to get up early to go to Alton Towers or its Christmas day or something I’m up without the assistance of any alarm! :D

10. Verx

Verx "Darkness Approaches"

I'll take taht on board. Really good post. Cheers mate.

You don't want a slap after such a good post now, do you? :p :woo:

11. Verx

Wait @, everyone in this thread was implying I was lazy? :confused: :D

I can't go to bed any earlier than 10.45pm (obv. :D ); sorry but I can't.

12. doc97

doc97 Valued Member

It's been said that it takes at least two weeks of doing something consistently before it becomes a habit. Exercise, eating, getting up early, what have you.....

That being said, as a physician I always worry about things like sleep apnea that can cause difficulty in wakening. Do you snore? Do you find it hard to go to sleep at night? Has anyone every told you that you stop breathing in the night? Has your significant other ever given you the elbow in the chest because your snoring too loud? Do you dose off watching T.V. or at a stop sign when driving? All these thing can be attributed to a condition called sleep apnea and it is pretty easily treated with a machine that puts positive pressure in your lungs to keep the airways open. Untreated, it can lead to heart and lung problems, etc.... Anyone I have started on the c-pap machines, usually reported being able to wake up in the morning fairly easily and feel rested ....

Me, I'm just lazy and I hate getting up.... I even did the two weeks straight thinking that it could start a good habit.....Nah.......still can't get up. But I also get the elbow in my chest from my wife, so someday I'm going to be screened for the apnea.....

In the meantime..........lots of caffiene!!!

13. Yohan

Yohan In the Spirit of Yohan Supporter

Those tabatta squats won't hurt nearly as much if you do 1 day on 2 days off for 2 months.

14. Johnno

Johnno Valued Member

Why not? :confused:

15. wynnema

wynnema Valued Member

i think that's pretty much the best advice. I eventually got into the habit of getting up every morning to train but never really got used to it and I ended up hating it. Much happier now I do it later in the day.

16. cheesypeas

cheesypeas Moved on

Cos he's a big girls blouse. :p :love:

17. Frodocious

Frodocious She who MUST be obeyed! Moderator Supporter

I agree totally with Adam.

I've tried numerous times to get up and train (even just dynamic stretching), but I'm really not a morning person and find it so difficult to do it. I find that I end up missing sessions, getting depressed or annoyed at myself and then missing more sessions. I love training in the afternoon or evening so that's when I train. I accept my limitations and work with my body and everything works out!

18. Verx

You :yeleyes: :D

19. Davey Bones

Davey Bones New Member

I'm gonna have to side on the "don't train so early in the morning, then" crowd. If you are forcing yourself to wake up, I have to wonder how productive your workout is going to be, anyway. Do your workout at a time when you are actually motivated to do it. You'll get more out of it that way than turning it into a chore which *must* be done before 6 AM.

Much like wynnema and AdMcG, I did the whole "be at the gym by 5 AM" routine and HATED it. I was sleepy for the rest of the day, it totally threw my body off, and even after a couple of months I just found it miserable, especially when you account for needing an earlier bedtime and miserable east coast weather in the winter.

20. Ero-Sennin

Ero-Sennin Highly Skilled Peeper Supporter

I would go with this crow too in a sense actually. My day is rough hanging sheetrock and after eight hours of throwing everything I have into physical labor and then trying to workout after work (especially in the summer time where I sweat out a good two gallons of liquid during the work day) gets really tough. Especially since it's summer time now and my body is so drained by the end of the day from the heat that I would cramp up doing anything from tabata to a light mile jog. That's part of where my motivation for getting up in the morning comes from: if I don't wake up around 2/3 A.M. and get to bed around 6/7 P.M. then I CAN'T workout. There's too many things I want to accomplish both in school, work, fighting, and physical fitness that I want to accomplish and during the summer a schedule where I get up 4/5 hours before work gives me a lot of extra time to do things I wouldn't normally do after work from being so drained.

If you're in a position where you don't have an extremely stressful job or have bad hours for a schedule or any other reason . . . then yeah, I wouldn't wake up in the morning to workout. Although if you are doing tabata you should definitely do it in the morning time if your aim is to boost your metabolism and burn more fat throughout the day. Either that or mid afternoon. Remember, it only takes 4 minutes so you don't need a lot of time to do it.