Getting Up Early

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Verx, Jun 10, 2007.

1. Verx

Verx "Darkness Approaches"

I can't do it. Everytime I get up early to do some tabata squats (*shudders*), I go back to sleep. It's really annoying. I just can't motivate myself enough to get out of bed. SO how do you guys get up early. Oh; and the first one to post get an alarm clock and/or go to bed early will get a slap. :yeleyes: :woo: :p

2. CosmicFish

CosmicFish Aleprechaunist

Motivation.

I have an alarm clock to get me out of bed on work days. It's set to go off half an hour earlier than I need to get up and I still get into work 15 minutes late every day. However, when I was playing ogame and I needed to be up on time to manage my fleets I never had any problem. I suspect that subconsciously you really don't want to do your Tabata squats. ;)

Now, how you go about getting that motivation is another matter . . .

3. TheCount

TheCount Happiness is a mindset

Put your alarm clock across the other side of the room so you have to get up to turn it off.

As mentioned just get motivated. The mood you are in before you go to sleep often imparts on your morning mood. Feel motivated when you go to bed, get up and be motivated.

4. Verx

Hello? They're tabata squats. I basically die everytime I'm finished doing them. Oh, that reminds me, have to do some in the next hour to make up for this morning.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2007
  5. Ad McG

Ad McG Troll-killer Supporter

Don't train in the morning :D

Seriously, that's what I do. There is no way I can force myself to get up and train, so I just make sure I train later.

6. Verx

Ay, I used to do the same. That was until I got busted doing some tabata at 10:45 in the night. :eek: :D

7. slipthejab

slipthejab Hark, a vagrant! Supporter

Yeah ya know I can't be asked to get up early for anything I'm not interested in. Somehow I've managed to fool myself that I'm immensely interested in roadwork and skipping rope.... :p

I've noticed a pattern. In bed by 11:00pm means I get up automatically at between 5:30 and 6:00am.

then...

If right then and there I jump out of bed and stumble over to the espresso machine... then all is good and well in the universe...

If I don't quite make it... well... the missus usually brings my espresso the kitchen hallway where I've curled up on the floor to go back to sleep. :D

8. CosmicFish

Heh, I know, I've done them. It took me four mins to do them, and another four to stuff my lungs back in at the end.

9. Verx

Tabata> Human capability :p

10. Jang Bong

Jang Bong Speak softly....big stick

I can find and correctly turn off 3 alarm clocks at various points in the room without waking up - that's if the sound actually gets through to me and isn't converted into a reasonable dreamscape sound. :p

I'm a night owl. My natural waking time is about 11am, but I'm bright as a button between 10pm and 2am. Unfortunately this does not sit well with a 9-5 office day. :rolleyes:

11. TheCount

TheCount Happiness is a mindset

Wire in your alarm clock to a 90Dcb sound system with a death metal CD prepared. See if it wakes you up

12. SiAiS

SiAiS Moved on

Book a holiday, to somewhere exotic and alluring, and get an early flight = you're sure to succeed.

Other than that, I've no idea, I don't bother... sometimes I sleep for 2 days!

13. Ero-Sennin

Ero-Sennin Well-Known Member Supporter

It's all motivation and discipline. There are times where I set my alarm clock later then what I meant to (instead of setting it to 3 - 4 A.M. I set it to 5 which is too late to prepare food for work and exercise and prepare breakfast) but was so motivated for the next day that I woke up around the time I needed to. It's all where you set your sights at.

Waking up to do tabata isn't the easiest of all things either. I find it much easier to wake up for rope skipping and bag work at the gym (a whole whopping 4 people go to the town gym at 2- 3 in the morning : P) then it is to do my tabata routine. Tabata sucks and it's just going to be how bad you want to reach your goal and what you're willing to put up for it. Hell, it may even take weeks to a month or two for you to get your mind set right to be able to get to the point where you can have that type of motivation.

Squats are also a difficult exercises, especially for tabata. Instead of doing a movement that gets so intense try doing something else in tabata form like running, skipping rope, mountain climbers, box jumps, hitting a tire with a sledge hammer, slamming a medicine ball on the ground; all things which I've done which get the heart rate skyrocketing and weren't as difficult as squats (I've tried doing tabata squat jumps, had to stop because I knew I would be too sore to go to work the next day). Now of course when I say "not as difficult" . . . anyone who has done tabata knows that this is not really the case. You're still going to be drenched in sweat with any exercise you do in tabata form if you're doing it right. Squats I would think to be a very intense tabata exercise to do and you may not be ready to fully do them as they are supposed to be done, which could be your lack of motivation as well. Try something different and see if that works.

An alarm clock and going to sleep early also help you transition into a routine : P.

14. Sgt_Major

Sgt_Major Ex Global Mod Supporter

Im EXACTLY the same mate - its a REEEEAL struggle getting up to be in work at 8am

15. CosmicFish

Ha! I can't even get in for 9:30. Good thing I have a boss who can't either. :D

16. Sgt_Major

Sgt_Major Ex Global Mod Supporter

My boss is in before me everyday - he has to deactivate the alarm... but he goes before me every day too....

17. ment to live

ment to live King of the world

I'm friends with most of my bosses so i get away with alot, im late almost everyday due to sleep. and ya i do any workout stuff late in the day and i usually don't wake up until 2pm unless i have work. i find it much easier later in the day.

18. Shadow_of_Evil

Shadow_of_Evil wants to go climbing...

Disclipline. That's all there is to it. Oh and I use my mobile phone as an alarm. Not only is the alarm painfully annoying but I put it at the other side of the bedroom...it forces me to get up out of bed to turn it off.
    Then I realise, 'Hey, seeing as I'm up...'.
    But really, it all comes to down to will power and discipline.

19. Incredible Bulk

Incredible Bulk Eat-Lift-Eat-Sleep-Grow

i see my exericse as something to look forward too and can get quite cranky if i miss workouts.
    you need to assess how you think about your training and why you hate certain factors.... then weigh them up with your goals

20. Su lin

Su lin Gone away

I'm on flexi time,meaning that I tend to not be very motivated as I can roll in when I want,but then again I hate having to stay late to make the time up! I find now I drive to work I am far less strict on myself as I can organise my time myself.
    I get too confused and nowty when I get up too early :D