getting back on the horse

Discussion in 'Injuries and Prevention' started by zombiekicker, Jan 30, 2015.

1. zombiekicker

zombiekicker bagpuss

So I've got another 6 weeks or so till my chest heal. But I've a nagging doubt that I'm gonna be scared to pick the weights up. I'm also doubting myself starting Bjj. And thinking of other arts

2. philosoraptor

philosoraptor carnivore in a top hat Supporter

BJJ is really fun. I would let folks know about your injury and especially let your coach know. He'll pair you with considerate, non insane rollers.

3. zombiekicker

zombiekicker bagpuss

Lol. YeAh I did a trial before Xmas it was great . Couldn't walk for two days might d

4. narcsarge

narcsarge Masticated Whey

Not sure what injury you had to your chest so I can not offer any advice except work on range of motion. Even adding soup cans to exercises will both stretch atrophied muscles and get your muscles used to working out again. Ease into it.

5. zombiekicker

zombiekicker bagpuss

Torn cartlidge. Ouch

6. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

This is the song for this thread:

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lX8GG3dnsp8"]Aerosmith - Back In The Saddle (Audio) - YouTube[/ame]

7. bodyshot

bodyshot Brown Belt Zanshin Karate

Take your time. Don't be afraid.

8. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

From what I remember thats because your new, so you need to learn to relax, the more tense you are the more tired your muscles will get.

Also after a rib injury tension will hurt, relax, be like water my friend.

9. zombiekicker

zombiekicker bagpuss

Well it's nearly 4 weeks and healing nicely. Managed to start some light exercise this week . Just 3 mile walks . Then today did 20 minutes cardio , squats and calf raises and 5 mile walk. Gonna start with light (5kg) weight tomorrow high reps. On the plus side lost over 2 stone in 4 weeks having had to stop drinking.

10. narcsarge

narcsarge Masticated Whey

That will help. Hope you don't have any health issues that necessitated this and it was merely a lifestyle change.

11. zombiekicker

zombiekicker bagpuss

Doctors orders. Not life threatening but was heading that way. Chest x rays don't jut show torn cartlidge

12. belltoller

belltoller OffTopic MonstreOrdinaire Supporter

Meaning there was a spot on your x ray?

13. zombiekicker

zombiekicker bagpuss

Enlarged heart through drinking. Therefore no more drinking

14. belltoller

Go home! haddaway, man...I can relate to you on that front - the doctor asked me if I'd done a lot of lifting ( :jester: ). I said "no, but I'm gonna do a lot of lifting".

I've the same condition that Steffan Struve has - enlarged heart and leaking aortic valve.

We'll have to keep tabs. (Not that kind of tab ;))

Do you find yourself getting winded easily?

Best of Luck, then.

15. zombiekicker

zombiekicker bagpuss

16. zombiekicker

zombiekicker bagpuss

I did just after this but after starting with just walking again I seem ok. The doctor said the heart would go back to normal without drink. Not sure it's same thing you got.

17. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

Good man, a lot of people don't even make that decision.

Good luck!

18. belltoller

Well, at least in your case its reversible. In my case, its just hoped not to worsen.

19. zombiekicker

zombiekicker bagpuss

Oh. Sorry to hear that . I'm surprised I lasted 30 years of heavy drinking I'm 44 now

20. zombiekicker

zombiekicker bagpuss

Cheers I may be stupid but I'm not suicidal. Can get some proper training going in next month or two