get your JKD certification NOW!

Discussion in 'Jeet Kune Do' started by DaeHanL, Oct 20, 2008.

1. DaeHanL

DaeHanL FortuneCracker

care to expand on that?

2. Fire-quan

Fire-quan Banned Banned

The art you love, like the art I love, is being prostituted.

3. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

It is, yeah. Which goes to show why lineage, in isolation, is such an utterly dreadful criterion for choosing a teacher.

Stuart

4. Semper Fi

Semper Fi Valued Member

Spot on Stuart!

5. fire cobra

fire cobra Valued Member

Is he that bad!!,why then would P Vunak who you all must admit has a good all round skill set certify him? is this the way JKD is going nowadays?:confused:

6. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

I'd be hard pushed to draw any worthwhile conclusions from short video clips.

Great practitioners don't necessarily make great teachers. And even great teachers make mistakes. So, assuming this guy isn't very good, that doesn't retroactively make Vunak any less of a practitioner.

Stuart

7. february

february Valued Member

You can become an apprentice instructor under Vunak after doing a 10 hour course. That probably doesn't say much for the guys under him.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2008
  8. fire cobra

fire cobra Valued Member

Wow really! is that 10 hours personal instruction with him? most likely you have to purchase several sets of dvds to!.:eek:

9. february

february Valued Member

Yes it's 10 hours personal instruction over 2 days. I'm not against intensive 1 on 1 training per say, you'd probably be able to pick up a half decent understanding of the basics in that time, but no way would you be able to perform them to any real degree of competence (unless you had a lot of prior experience) and absolutely no way would you be able to pick up enough to teach it correctly.

10. DaeHanL

DaeHanL FortuneCracker

agreed, but when you're a newcomer to martial arts, would you know any better? You would probably just look for certification. I hope.

Also, we're seeing these videos with educated eyes. Would a new guy be able to tell he's not legit? i couldn't say.

11. Fire-quan

Fire-quan Banned Banned

Vunak used to have an advert out claiming to teach secret techniques that were passed down from Bruce Lee to only one of his students - and Vunak was the recipient of those secret techniques - which of course he was sharing through his video.

So I e-mailed him saying I didn't believe it for one second, and got a message back from his wife saying that it was all BS, but the publisher had done it without their knowledge or permission. Benefit of the doubt....

12. february

february Valued Member

Good on you for taking him to task on it. At least you got an answer direct from the horses mouth (kinda).

I think the Vu has made some questionable business decisions in propogating his version of JKD in the past. From watching his vids I do like him and think he has some great ideas in line with some of top reality guru's this side of the pond - Geoff Thompson and the like. I do however find a lot of his stuff can come over gimmicky though, and claiming to be able to teach someone JKD to a standard whereby they can a) be good at it, and b) teach it to others - all in 10 hours, is ridiculous. I don't care if it's the same system you taught to SEAL Team 6 or the Feds, c'mon how much need would they really have for it what with the Hand guns and Submachine guns!

Downwind of that you get his instructors like Sifu/Guro Loco Lopez over here claiming to be able to make you a deadly weapon AND enable you to teach others to become the same, all by flogging you a bunch of crappy low production value DVD's and a piece of paper.

The damn thing reaks.

13. Semper Fi

Semper Fi Valued Member

Did you see his knife defense? He must be the Man of Steel!

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nXVGNluuj9g"]YouTube[/ame]

Last edited: Oct 24, 2008
  14. callsignfuzzy

callsignfuzzy Is not a number!

FQ, was this the material he put out through TRS by chance? Another person they produced for, Mark Hatmaker, is my MMA coach and friend. They put out some of his earlier stuff, and he absolutely hates their over-the-top advertisement. He even goes so far as to sort of apologize for it on his web site. Even the people who produce his current material tend to want to make things more theatrical for the sake of advertisement, according to him. Having heard things from the other side of the equation, I now tend to only consider things directly from an official website as being the word of the person in question.

15. Simplicity

Simplicity Valued Member

Oh my....at 0.28 he would be cut with that knife (that not the only spot in that clip)....Been in the service teaching knife and trained with Guro Dan back in the day (also).....All I can say is......Oh my, that would get me cut!!! :bang:

p.s. Going to see Guro Dan again after all these years, this weekend in Grand Blanc, MI

16. fire cobra

fire cobra Valued Member

The disarms he is using have decent use of leverage and are what i have seen done by Dan Inosanto(to a lot higher standard!) however he keeps grabbing the edge or double edge of the blade!:eek:

17. g-bells

g-bells Don't look up!

if it looks like a duck, quacks like a duck, more than likely it's a duck!!!

18. Like Water

Like Water Valued Member

It's sad but true... *plugs ears*

It is my understanding that apprentice instructorship only comes after 100 hours of training at a minimum. If you think about it, say you train twice a week for a year. That would net you ~104 hours of training assuming you NEVER missed a class. :rolleyes:

Anyone who trains and enjoys it or at least takes it seriously, can tell you that 10 hours of training, no matter who it's with, isn't enough to be able to turn around and start teaching others.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2008