Geoff Thompson Gigs

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by GaryWado, Jun 26, 2013.

1. GaryWado

GaryWado Tired

Just bumped into this on another board...

http://www.geoffthompson.com/

We are talking serious dough here!!??

I could get a flight and train with Arakawa sensei (who is doing a gig a Clalgary next month) - for less!

Gary

2. John Titchen

John Titchen Still Learning Supporter

Depends on what you're looking for. I'd rather train with Geoff.

Besides which for commercial (as opposed to school, charity or MA clients where I charge considerably discounted prices) it costs (in total) a similar amount for an afternoon of professional advice and training with me.

3. Dean Winchester

Dean Winchester Valued Member

Don't worry Gary once I qualify I'll give you discounts for talking to me, just bring the tea and biscuits.

4. GaryWado

GaryWado Tired

John,

I'd gladly pay you £ 325.00 to hold your hand and walk round a garden talkin about stuff for 90 mins.

I know he's a stable mate of yours, and you're entitled to your opinion, but I think that's just madness.

Gary

Last edited: Jun 26, 2013
  5. holyheadjch

holyheadjch Valued Member

It's really not that expensive.

He's a high profile figure in his field. He is priced at that level because that is what his people think they can charge and still attract enough customers.

6. hext

hext Valued Member

Yep, sod that for £300 notes..don't get me wrong I respect the bloke and would love the opportunity to go on a seminar, just agree that it's a tad steep for me too

7. John Titchen

Hi Gary

Geoff and I have never talked or met.

If it is priced like that, there's clearly a market for it, and I doubt the conversations are about martial arts. That's considerably less than you'd pay for a good barrister per hour, so I don't think it's unreasonable for a successful person to charge people who want to pick his brains.

I wouldn't pay that for one on one or multiple person MA training for 90 minutes. But then I look at the £75 price tag for day courses with some MAists and think - for me what they are going to deliver is not worth that.

8. GaryWado

GaryWado Tired

I stand corrected - apologies.

My thoughts are still the same though...

It's simply not the same ball park as seeking professional advise from a lawyer or doctor as you seem to suggest.

Still, as you say if folk will pay that, then that's the going rate I guess?

Not for me though.

Gary

Last edited: Jun 26, 2013
  9. holyheadjch

holyheadjch Valued Member

People pay more than that for a 1 minute and greet with Justin Bieber.

Achievement Unlocked: Perspective.

10. John Titchen

I agree it's not. To some people it is worth a great deal more, to others, less.

If you were a budding writer wanting to break into the big time, would you pay to get advice from someone who'd done so? Not everyone would, but I'm sure many would consider it money well spent.

11. GaryWado

GaryWado Tired

So...

Anyone here up for it?

Gary

ps, I only charge a can of stella to come and walk round my backyard in the garden town of Molesey (a stone throws away from Hampton Court don't you know!)

12. John Titchen

So...

Your place or mine? :Angel:

Frodo, take note. I expect similar offers from you in future. :vanish:

13. John Titchen

Of course if you've got that amount of money we could always do a walk round the mats hand in hand at the Map meet and you could give it to the charities instead? :)

14. 47MartialMan

47MartialMan Valued Member

Also to mention what people pay for a Stan Lee autograph :eek:

15. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

Erik Paulson is coming next month for a two and a half hour seminar. I'm looking at around £40

I'd love to train with him too, but that amount is a rip and no mistake. I here the Snake Pit down in Wiggan is charging something similar and I think that's a rip too. (Snake Pit does CACC, something I have a slight obsession with and I still wouldn't pay. So it's not like I'm being biased.... Right?)

16. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

Your lecturers at uni or college would be looking for more than that for 2.5 hours contact time.

Is Erik Paulson's time worth more to you than a college lecturer's?

Mitch

17. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

40 quid for 2 1/2 hrs is NOT a rip by any stretch! That's Erik fricking Paulson for one thing! Ive dropped 10 quid on two coffees and a scone last time I was in the UK so 40 is a steal!!!

My Sifu is doing a seminar in Calgary in two weeks and it is $250 for three days (8 hour days). So that's about $10 an hour. The Paulson seminar is a touch pricier per hour but not by much.

Go to that seminar tightwad!

18. Mike Flanagan

Mike Flanagan Valued Member

Hi John

But you'd get the barrister to yourself, you wouldn't see them along with several other clients at the same time.

£300 seems rather steep to me. I don't begrudge Geoff wanting to make money, but I do think that people who are prepared to pay that are being a bit foolish.

Mike

19. John Titchen

It looked to me to be one on one.

20. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

I got that impression too.