Genki Sudo vs Royce Gracie

Discussion in 'MMA' started by Yukimushu, Jul 29, 2004.

1. Yukimushu

Yukimushu MMA addict

He isn't the worlds greatest; but as far as entertainment goes... hes got to be one of the most entertaining fighters around.

You can download a highlight video i made of him from the link below.

Genki Sudo Highlight - 9Mb

2. AAAhmed46

AAAhmed46 Valued Member

But is he an above average fighter, can he beat most pride fighters?

(as in, can he walk up to tank whats his name and kick his ass?)

3. Yukimushu

Yukimushu MMA addict

He's never faught in Pride before, i don't know weather he could beat Tank or not... but he's still an excellent fighter. His grappling skills are incredible.

He tries some really strange things :) especially his attempt at a flying triangle choke in K-1! :)

Last edited: Aug 20, 2004
  4. AAAhmed46

AAAhmed46 Valued Member

Crap, this guy is flashy!!!!

He uses alot of high kicks. He seems succesful. I laughed ALOT while watching that.

What are his styles? Karate, Bjj, and some kung-fu? is that right?

5. Yukimushu

Yukimushu MMA addict

His styles aren't either Kung Fu or Karate...

He started off with Wrestling when he was in high school, he became Junior Olympic champion Greco Roman Wresting then later went to Beverly Hills Jujitsu Club (Jujitsu & Muay Thai).

6. AAAhmed46

AAAhmed46 Valued Member

But someone commented on him knowing karate, wrestling, jujutsu and 'some wierd crane looking thing' whats this 'wierd crane looking thing?

Im talking about this comment:Genki is the most bizarre hybrid martial artist around right now, BJJ, karate, some weird crane-looking stuff... Sudo is a great striker (he ranked highly in K-1 MAX) and, if the Sakuraba fight's anything to go by, Royce doesn't do well with unconventional fighters, which Genki certainly is. I'm picking Sudo by spinning backfist KO (possibly a double. Has anyone else seen that fight?)

Last edited: Aug 20, 2004
  7. Sever

Sever Valued Member

I read on Sherdog that he knows some karate, (I believe he may have also claimed that as his discipline in his K-1 MAX days, but I'm not certain) his grappling looks BJJ and wrestling based to me and my "Weird crane looking thing" comment was merely a small joke directed at his love of stopping in the middle of the fight and getting into the crane stance and other such things. Yukimushu is likely to be far better informed about Genki's actual styles than me, but he wasn't around when I posted that reply. Anyway, he's gonna whoop grandaddy Royce's butt and I'm pretty confident he could beat Tank too (the guy's just a punching bag these days anyway)
    Hope this cleared things up for you

8. Yukimushu

Yukimushu MMA addict

I hope your right :) I really do wanna see him win...

I still haven't heard anything on the fight being finalised yet
    :confused:

9. Sever

Sever Valued Member

Grrrr... someone make them hurry up! :woo: Is it K-1 MMA or Pride that's trying to promote it? I'd rather see it in K-1 personally, because then I've got a chance of seeing it on tv

10. Yukimushu

Yukimushu MMA addict

I believe it was PRIDE who were trying to match them up.

11. AAAhmed46

AAAhmed46 Valued Member

Well, i dont have cable so i cant see any of these matches, but i try to catch them whenever i can, whether its the UFC or PRIDE or whatever.

Anyway, whats Royce's record now?

12. Yukimushu

Yukimushu MMA addict

He's on 12 - 2 - 2. The majority of his victories being in UFC 1 to 5 (11 vitories).

13. Sever

Sever Valued Member

Noooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!

Fightsport.com is reporting that Royce will indeed be fighting on New Years Eve. His opponent? Akenbono! Akebono! What the hell is going on?! Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!! Does anyone REALLY want to see that big fat tub of goo waddle around the ring again? I hoped Bonjaski's kick would knock some sense into him and he'd retire.

14. Yukimushu

Yukimushu MMA addict

Grr! :( The other day, me and Hybrid Killer were just talking about the lack of news about Genki vs Royce :( And now we find out they're not fighting!? :(

15. notquitedead

notquitedead used to be Pankration90

Don't worry about watching them on TV, just wait for Yuki to post the clips. :D

His only real loss was against Sakuraba. His other loss was when he gave up right at the beginning of the match before the fighting started because he was too tired (I think he fought Kimo right before the match). I could be wrong though.

16. Yukimushu

Yukimushu MMA addict

Too all those who don't know who Yokozuna Akebono is, then here's a picture of him making Bob 'The Beast' Sapp, look small.

[​IMG]

17. Sever

Sever Valued Member

The Royce/ Akebono fight is a tragedy rising from the ashes of what could've been a classic. I pick Royce by whatever the hell he wants as long as he's not stupid enough to pull guard :eek:

18. Yukimushu

Yukimushu MMA addict

LMAO! I don't really see him pulling guard either lol :D

19. Adam

Adam New Member

Neither of those fights are going to happen. It's just more retarded Japanese hype. Do you really think that Royce would sign to fight Akebono? Well, I DO believe it, and I also believe that Elvis and Superman are living together in a mansion in Beverly Hills.
    Here's 10$ sayin' Royce isn't fighting either of those two.

20. Trent Tiemeyer

Trent Tiemeyer Valued Member

Royce vs. Akebono? What a trainwreck.