Genetically Enhancing Muscle Mass

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by #1 Stutta, Mar 19, 2004.

1. #1 Stutta

#1 Stutta The New Boot

I've heard from quite a few people who are really into bodybuilding that scientists are figuring out a way to double muscle mass by changing genes around. I came across a site about it online, too, but I forget what it was. When I find it again, I'll post it. Have any of you ever heard of this before?

Scientists can change genes for eye color and resistance to disease. If they figure out how to double muscle mass, would it be safe? What do you guys think?

2. shipto

shipto Atkin's for life

I think they should leave our genes alone with the possible exeption of getting rid of illness genes. When you start breeding superhumans it will not be long till the *normal* humans will be seen as disposible or even burdens not worthy of helping.

3. toothpaste100

toothpaste100 Banned In 60 Seconds

I haven't read anything on the subject, are they talking about altering all the muscle cells or just altering a dozen cells throughout the body so that it produces the necessary chemicals to promote muscle development? If its the latter then they won't be able to actually do that for quite a while.

4. LilBunnyRabbit

LilBunnyRabbit Old One

One word. Gattacca.

5. Guerilla Fists

Guerilla Fists New Member

You have to think of the adverse affects this would have on the body. More muscle mass means more maintenance which means more stress on the heart. Just like when you max out a car it expires faster I would assume that it holds true for our bodies as well. Look at powerlifters and body builders who get arthritis at 30 years old.
    This concept isn't unknown to internal MAists. They know that if a body is too muscular then it becomes too yin (as in yin and yang). Everything, down to our very breathing requires a balance of yin and yang. You can not breath in and hold your breath forever. Like wise you can not release your breath forever. It is the balance of this ebb and flow that keeps us alive. Awake and asleep, breath in and breath out, train hard and rest well...you see if you upset the balance you will damage your longevity. My longevity is very important to me. Given the opportunity to partake in gene therapy I would say Nay.

6. #1 Stutta

#1 Stutta The New Boot

Toothpaste, they're talking about altering genes on chromosomes. I'm not sure where. If I could find that damn website, I could tell you.

8, I agree. I don't want people messing around with my body.

But think, if this does work, that means no more steroids. It would cost about the same and also eliminate the use of steroids.

7. Tireces

Tireces New Member

I honestly wouldn't mind having my genes work in my favor for once...but would it really change anything? I thought messing with chromosomes just affects who you wind up creating when you reproduce, or I'm just so out of it when it comes to genetic science. Maybe one, maybe both. But really, I wouldn't mind having my genes alterred to be as strong as that lucky guy who sees tons of improvement with weightlifting because he had the right parentage. I'm damned tired of being the skinny guy.

8. totality

totality New Member

i don't know, a lot of people think diabonol is completely safe...i feel better if i just tell everyone to stay the hell away from my CNS. especially random strangers.

9. Radok

Radok Love myself better than U

If they doubled your muscles, that would give you an enlarged heart, which is often fatal. They have succesfully done this on rats, but rats don't live as long as humans, so long term studies couldn't be done.

10. Poop-Loops

Poop-Loops Banned Banned

*Metal Gear Solid flashback*

PL

11. Shortfuse

Shortfuse King of Hearts

Its a dangerous game,Playing god

12. Ad McG

Ad McG Troll-killer Supporter

13. #1 Stutta

#1 Stutta The New Boot

Oh yeah, your hearts a muscle, too. I forgot about that. That would be bad.

14. Rik-s

Rik-s New Member

Think if they were actually goin to look at this as a serious possability, they would probably have to look more into increaseing the density of the muscle fibres thereby promoting extra strength at no additional cost in size, as opposed to increasing the size of the muscles themselves... As you've stated above, the amount of extra stress/maintinance needed would probably be to much for the body to take......

15. Omicron

Omicron is around.

Very true! I think that genetic experiments like this will become a very big issue in the future. I mean, look at human history. We LOVE to discriminate against others, even when it's completely unsubstantiated (just think of all the wars of religion, ethnic cleansing, etc, where one group feels they are superior to another). Imagine what will happen when there becomes a group of people who really are mentally and/or physically superior to others. Then imagine all the trouble we'd have. The human species has enough trouble dealing with itself on a level playing field. I think it's too early for us to be trying to alter ourselves; we haven't even learned to live with eachother yet, and genetic engineering won't make things any easier.

16. 47Ronin

47Ronin New Member

Dude that guy with those muscles, thats crazy. I have never even thought that something that size was possible. The only place I've seen muscles like that was in that movie, "Double (or twin) Dragons". That is just insane......

17. Ad McG

Ad McG Troll-killer Supporter

Read the article. It's pretty crazy. He's a total outcast in the bodybuilding world because people say he's just making it look stupid, which he is. Bodybuilders usually look kinda stupid anyway, IMO. Check attached Arnold picture. He is also criticised for use of certain steroids, but upon checking the article, it seems like he just works harder than anyone else. I don't really know why, but he says he enjoys just being a freak. Madness.

Attached Files:

18. Shortfuse

Shortfuse King of Hearts

he doesnt look as big anymore, age probably took its toll.

i wonder if the arnold in that picture would do well in a martial art like tai chi or a kung fu.

19. MuayThaiGuy

MuayThaiGuy New Member

Nope, you're out of it with genetics. :) Your chromosomes are being used billions and billions of times every second. Here's a short overview:

An enzyme, RNA polymerase, moves along your DNA all the time reading it a bit like a tape head reads a tape. This enzyme translates the genetic code into a messenger RNA (mRNA), a short molecule similar to DNA that contains the code for a single gene with the gunk taken out (most DNA is actually junk that doesn't code for genes).

The mRNA is cut loose and floats away from the chromosome. It quickly encounters a ribosome, the cell's protein factory. The mRNA is run through the ribosome, while a protein is built amino acid by amino acid as the code is read (this whole process is amazingly like a computer and little robot factory). The protein is cut loose, it very quickly folds into its correct conformation, and it goes on its merry way to do whatever it's supposed to do. The mRNA is read by more ribosomes and directs the makings of its protein over and over again until it breaks down, a few minutes, hours, or days later.

There, now you learned something today...if you bothered to read all that. :D

20. Kris H

Kris H New Member

I would never touch stuff like this!
    Only if i had a disease that was going to kill me would I let them bugger about with my genes. I see it in the same light as anabolic steroids. Its the easy way out, and the stupid way.
    Thats, not strictly true to say easy, since alot of people who take them work their butts off. I think if we don't get the same amount of minerals/vitamins/proteins etc from a balanced diet, then you were never meant to get that amount in the first place.
    I have enough trouble trying to justify the use of protein powder shakes etc. Still haven't tried those sorts of dietary supplements, but i might when i get older.
    Honestly i see it as stupid, you screwing with something that currently does the job atleast adequately, for what purpose, so you can look good? so you can throw people across rooms? Not worth it for the risk as far as i'm concerned.

Cheers