General Technique help

Discussion in 'Silat' started by serakmurid, Jun 18, 2005.

1. serakmurid

serakmurid Valued Member

Selamat,
    I need help with a technique I'm trying to learn in the Pencak Silat art I'm studying. I guess I must be slow at this one because even though my instructors have helped me with it already, I still have trouble. The technique I am refering to is the Harimau back sweep. You crouch down and do a 360 degree sweep. I just can't seem to keep up the speed and momentum all the way around. Even though this is from Serak in a form called Jurusan Sepak, I know a lot of styles have this sweep, so I'm wondering if there are any key points to doing the beset correctly.
    Hormat to all,
    Mas Andrew Astle

2. Sgt_Major

Sgt_Major Ex Global Mod Supporter

Have you asked your Guru yet? They would be the best place to start. I personally dont use the technique, so cant help you there.

3. Kiai Carita

Kiai Carita Banned Banned

Mas Andrew, my understanding of the move you are asking about is that you crouch down with one leg extended (from a low kuda-kuda) before you do the sweep. If this is the move you mean and you find it hard to go 360 degrees, it might be because you a) don't use the momentum of your going down low to turn your hips around, or b) you are to weak around the lower back.

I suggest you try to sweep in one flow beginning from the moment you let gravity bring you to a squat with an extended leg, and concentrate on your sweeping heel. If this doesn't work forget the move for a while and drill alot of sempok-standing. Remember to sempok right down so that you sit on the floor. Keep backbone straight and concentrate on your puser (dan tian in tai chi) and go up-down-up-down 200 or so times a day... after a week try the sweep once more. Hope this helps.

Hormat,
    Kiai Carita.

4. Monyet Nakal

Monyet Nakal Valued Member

Mas Andrew,

So nice to get to meet you face to face at the Ring of Fire. Send me a private message and let me know if you are still having trouble with this technique and I'll see if I can help. I suspect the webcam class last week addressed most of your issues but I'll be glad to render any assistance I can if you are still needing suggstions.

5. serakmurid

serakmurid Valued Member

Thank you for the help Kiai Carita, I do appreciate it. I will try your suggestions. As for the 200 sempoks a day I wonder if my 39-year old knees could take it? :eek: Have to give that a try...
    Monyet Nakal I will will email you, I wonder which wonderful Serak person you are? Wasn't the Ring of Fire great? I enjoyed Ustad Guru Dan Inosanto's teachings with Sifu Joel Clark. Of course Pak Victor de Thouars was truly excellent in his teaching of Serak and the presentation of his first instructor's art, Soempat. Guru Horacio Rodriguez, isn't he a great guru? Wow, the Pak Sera sambuts he taught were certainly enlightening! Sifu Bernie Langan's Ba Gua section was awesome, and Guru Ed Martin's Capoeira de Angola section was fun. Thanks again!
    Hormat to you,
    Mas Andrew Astle

6. tellner

tellner Valued Member

Andrew,

I know exactly which sweep you're talking about, but I can't tell which problem you're having with it without seeing you. Here is a couple things which have helped our classmates and students:

• Heel up, toe down for the beset version of the sweep (the one where the heel leads).
    • Don't let your leg get too far ahead of you. Your upper body should stay close to the sweeping leg.
    • Resist the temptation to put the knee of the supporting leg on the ground (for this sweep)
    • The upper body should be between the support leg and the sweeping leg.

Keep up the good work. If you can do Juru Sepak with authority (which I can't) knowledgeable people will be favorably impressed.

7. Kiai Carita

Kiai Carita Banned Banned

Mas Andrew, I will be 40 in a few weeks and my knees are better than they were when I was 30. If you do your sempoks with the strength of you knees they will complain. Don't use the strength of you knees, rather, use the power of your puser- what is called dan tian in Chinese MA. Concentrate on your puser and on keeping your backbone straight. If 200 sempoks to the floor and standing up again is too much, do less. Do as many as you feel comfortable and build up on it.

Hormat,
    Kiai Carita.

8. serakmurid

serakmurid Valued Member

Thank you Mr. Tellner and Kiai, your suggestions are worth listening to. I can not do all of Jurusan Sepak maybe just some of Jurusan Sepak 1 or latihan Jurusan Sepak 1&2. The other 3 sections of the form of course deal with the upper 6 jurus and kicking structures. I have seen some of my seniors do the whole form with authority and I was indeed impressed!
    At the Ring of Fire 2005 a couple of weeks ago in Las Vegas I was able to watch Guru Tim Lucas perform Anjung Sekurum Empat, probably one of the most difficult forms in Serak, done with the Kembang Jurus in Sikap Naga. Certainly a credit to this excellent Serak teacher, very much my senior. Monyet Nakal knows what I am talking about.
    Monyet I think Pak Vic showed those web cam classes this evening, very good for me to watch! :D
    Hormat, Mas Andy

9. tellner

tellner Valued Member

Tiel adds a piece of advice that I forgot:

Keep your butt higher than your head and look where you're going.