General Info

Discussion in 'Ninjutsu' started by mgoff1, Jul 28, 2003.

1. mgoff1

mgoff1 New Member

Hey
    I have little martial arts experience, Currently I'm learning some bojitsu, but I wanted to get back into some of the more hand to hand styles (haha dont shoot me down for this I know how touchy some people get with their style)
    I took Tae Kwon Doe for 2 years, but my school shut down due to the fact it was ****ty. I kinda felt disillusioned with martial arts as a whole after that and stopped for a few years because my teachers did not give enough individual focus, would show up late, etc.
    Ninjitsu seemed to peak my interest recently as Ive read some stuff on it, it seems a lot more individualized and a lot more mental than the nothing but punching and kicking to the count of 10 in korean, as my previous experiences were limited to. I really care little about the whole movie stereotype or any of that bs, I just want to get back into one of these arts that will tests my character and shape me into a mentally stronger person.

Is this the right art for someone of my little experience?

2. SilentNightfall

SilentNightfall Eien no Ninja

This art, unlike most others, is made to adapt to the individual and not the reverse. It is my personal belief that anyone can benefit from Ninjutsu no matter what their previous experience, if any. Feel free to post your location and I will be more than happy to aid you in finding a local instructor if possible.

3. mgoff1

mgoff1 New Member

thanks man

I live in Maryland, Montgomery county
    but I go to school in Baltimore
    I honestly wouldnt mind traveling a little bit, if it gets me a good class/instructor

4. xplasma

xplasma Banned Banned

Baltimore Area Ninjutsu

Bujinkan Ninpo
    www.columbiabuyu.com/

Jinenkan Ninpo
    www.jinenkan.com (click locations)

I heard rumors of a Genbukan Ninpo Baltimore Dojo, I am suppose to get the address soon.

5. mgoff1

mgoff1 New Member

the jinenkan website
    they seem to be primarily weapon fighting
    does that still focus on ninjitsu?

6. xplasma

xplasma Banned Banned

Genbukan and Jinenkan and outshoots of Bujinkan. All three are true Ninpo/Ninjutsu that include weapons fighting and Taijutsu (unarmed combat).

7. mgoff1

mgoff1 New Member

awesome
    thanks for the feedback

8. Brad Ellin

Brad Ellin Baba

My opinion only... stick with the Bujinkan. They are directly under Hatsumi Soke. The Columbia dojo currently has two different guys teaching out of it at seperate times, though they do mingle students and classes. If you can afford it, they would be the ones to go to, more instruction for your $$. Both instructors are great guys, warm and friendly and highly knowledgeable. I attended a seminar there a few months ago and they made me feel like part of the family. There used to be a dojo in Westminster, but the instructor there left for Japan. There is one other, but I can't remember where it is, only that I drove about 2 hours for a seminar at his dojo.

9. SilentNightfall

SilentNightfall Eien no Ninja

I, much like Brad, would also recommend sticking with the Bujinkan. You can cut through all the crap and politics with the three X-kans and the fact still remains that it was Hatsumi-sensei who O'Sensei Takamatsu passed his scrolls onto. If you have any questions on this particular subject, feel free to just send me a PM here at Martial Arts Planet. Take care for now.

10. xplasma

xplasma Banned Banned

See, I have trained in all three x-kans. I Starting in Genbukan in New York, however, this summer I am training in Columbia, MD in Bujinkan. I am also tried Jinenkan.

I find them all very similiar with a bunch of suttle differences. What ever you choose if you stick with one of the x-kans you will be in good shape.

I also highly recommend Columbia Buyu, they are friendly and very knowledgable.

11. mgoff1

mgoff1 New Member

sounds great to me guys
    Again I appreciate the haste of your responses

one of my friends from high school went into the marines and is in the force recon right now, since the war time hes been out of communication doing whatever they do and now i hear hes in liberia, but anyways, he did some ninjitsu stuff if i recall correctly and he would talk about the majority of his training not being just general fighting and techniques, but applied techniques to different situations, for example he would say they tought him to fight not just in wide open spaces, but say in a hallway or other areas that restrict movement, also if the ground terrain was different such as slick pavement or wet grass you would not be able to kick as much so you would have to resort to other methods. Not to mention he said the major focus of all his training were avoidance, im not sure if he meant to the degree of like being stealthy but he did mention a lot of focus on being able to escape from a situation if it was necessary

is this the type of stuff i should be expecting to learn say if i went to the columbia place or should I expect to get more of a basic knowledge and seek stuff like that elsewhere when i get more experienced

12. Brad Ellin

Brad Ellin Baba

That's pretty much what you'll get in the Columbia dojos. By avoidance, I'm pretty sure your friend meant avoiding getting hit, avoiding putting oneself in a bad situation to begin with. In the Bujinkan, emphasis is on timing, distance and space. Utilizing the space between you and your opponent. Give it a shot. I think you will really enjoy it.