G'day all

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by melbgoju, May 2, 2011.

1. melbgoju

melbgoju Valued Member

Hello everyone, my name's Mike.

I've been involved in the martial arts since '93, when I started in an independent shotokan club at uni. Since then, I've trained in aikido and most recently goju karate, with some (minimal) side excursions into boxing, bujinkan and wushu.

I'm currently a shodan in goju karate, and number amongst my other manly pursuits birdwatching and wildlife photography.

I look forward to conversing with you all.

2. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

Welcome to MAP.

3. KAMAU

KAMAU innocent bystander

welcome melbgoju

4. Commander Nitro

Commander Nitro Valued Member

Nice to have you around, Mike!

5. Damian McKay

Damian McKay New Member

Hey there
    I cant figure out how to post to you directly, I only just joined. I was wondering where in Melbourne you are from? Im also from melbourne and have been thinking for a while now if we could find a bunch of martial artist from around Melbourne it would be good fun to start a meet up/ sparring club.
    Would you be interested in doing something like this? and do you know of any other martial artists of any style that would be interested in this sort of thing?

Let me know what you think.

Regards Damian

6. melbgoju

melbgoju Valued Member

Hi Damien,

I'm in the Heidelberg-Ivanhoe part of town. I think you need a minimum (10 or so) number of posts here before you can use the PM function?

I am moderately interested in meeting up with other people to exchange ideas and have a bit of spar, but not more than once every couple of months or so. Work, three kids, woodworking, and my general karate and silat training take up pretty well all of my time already. If only you had asked 5 or 10 years ago.

So what do you train in?

7. Damian McKay

Damian McKay New Member

Iv been training for a little over a year in Applied Wing Chun, I would probably be looking at holding a monthly event Im based in Mooroolbark/Lilydale area but Im sure we can find somewhere that is easy for everyone once I find more people. Do you know of any other people that might be interested? Like I said I dont mind what style or experience I have 2 full faced sparring helmets, multiple pairs of gloves, Obviously I dont want anyone getting hurt I just think it would be good to vs different styles and meet fellow martial artists.
    I can understand how life gets in the way Iv just gone through almost a month of no training due to family visiting from over seas and starting a new job as well as getting a little run down and under the weather, but Im ready to get back in to full swing training.

8. matveimediaarts

matveimediaarts Underappreciated genius

Welcome to the MAPness. :)

9. Heraclius

Heraclius BASILEVS Supporter

Your welcome is a little belated, since he joined in 2011 : )