GB TKD recruiting +80kg fighters

Discussion in 'Tae Kwon Do' started by Van Zandt, Dec 21, 2014.

1. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

2. FunnyBadger

FunnyBadger I love food :)

Please tell me there is another weight class above the 80kg heavyweight class. If 80kg is heavy weight then ... Yeah ... They are after ikle people.

That said though I don't think it would be my weight that would be my biggest issue lol

3. philosoraptor

philosoraptor carnivore in a top hat Supporter

Paging itf-tkd-kid or whatever that dude's name was.

4. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

Heavyweight in WTF events is usually +87kg.

I think +80kg in this instance is just a guide for the application process (athletes can be expected to go up/down weight divisions as required by the GB Taekwondo coaching staff).

ITF-Taekwondo?

Dude is banned. But he's probably too good for the Olympics anyway (or so his pa tells him).

5. jazzysingh

jazzysingh Valued Member

I think I am too heavy at 110 Kg lol

6. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

You've got the moves mate, just need to get you down to Lutalo's weight and you'd be in! :)

Mitch

7. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

Get your application in. You can worry about weight and conditioning in due time.

8. jazzysingh

jazzysingh Valued Member

Cheers for the kind words :D

I'm too old haha! Passed my sell by date now :D

But I think these GB TKD selections are a great opportunity for all Martial Artists out there with the right credentials!

9. FunnyBadger

FunnyBadger I love food :)

When should I worry about flexibility, ability and knowledge? I've never played leg tag lol

10. Ben Gash CLF

Ben Gash CLF Valued Member

Hmm, I'm a 6'3" 100kg+ TKD blackbelt........

11. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

The preferred upper age bracket in their last selection was 26.

But don't let that put you off; they will consider all applications.

12. Mushroom

Mushroom De-powered to come back better than before.

I can make 80kg!

Um...my high kick is a swing to the ankle/shin area. Will that go against me? :(

13. EmptyHandGuy

EmptyHandGuy Valued Member

Is it just me or does this make UK TKD look a bit bad in that it has to go to other arts to find people who can compete? Surely there are loads of TKD candidates that could fill the category or is this more politics in the same vane as the Aaron Cook debacle of 2012?

14. Mitch

I think it shows an open-minded sport that doesn't care what background you come from as long as you can make the grade. Everyone gets the same chances, they then pick the people they think have the best chance to medal.

It shows that TKD Olympic competition is not a closed shop and TKD can hold its head up against any art under that ruleset and is happy to compete against anyone. It shows strength.

One might disagree with their choices of individuals, but I don't think one can really object to such an open entry field.

Mitch

15. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

The UK has the current female -57kg Olympic Champion, a current male -80kg Olympic bronze medallist and the current male -80kg world and Olympic #1. Those are arguably some of the most hotly contested divisions. How does that make our taekwondo pedigree anything but excellent?

16. martinnharvey

martinnharvey Valued Member

I heard that if they don't make the selection process open to everyone then they don't get their grant money

How many of the people that apply from outside actually get through though is a different matter

I would be interested to see the numbers from last time

17. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

Aaron Cook, Jade Jones, Damon Sansum, Andrew Deer, Ruebyn Richards, and Lutalo Muhammad all transferred in from other organisations and styles.

Hell, most of the squad did.

18. Mitch

What group was Lutalo formerly with?

19. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

His dad's school was part of the UTF but has since joined British Taekwondo I think.