Gateway Timeout

Discussion in 'Suggestions, Problems and Tests' started by El Medico, Jun 19, 2009.

1. El Medico

El Medico Valued Member

Ever since I updated my Firefox on my home PC ( Dell w/XP) I cannot access MAP on ANY browsers-FF,IE,or Opera.I just get Gateway Timeout or Server Error messages,no matter what link or URL I try.

Anyone have similar,or suggestions?

I've since discovered that FF has many unsatisfied customers since this upgrade, but none of the complaints I read of were related to my problem.

If anyone has any advice I won't see it 'til Monday (as I'm leaving work in about 5 minutes) but thanks in advance.

(Gotta tell ya,it's been a drag being at home w/the flu,but w/no MAP to while away my periods of lucid consciousness.....)

2. slacker

slacker Valued Member

is it only MAP or all sites?

3. El Medico

El Medico Valued Member

Most sites are ok.A couple show up w/error messages at top but still display the page.

MAP is completely unavailable.I've performed various procedures that purport to solve problem but haven't found the solution for my problem yet.Only 1,235 more procudures to go.

4. Banpen Fugyo

Banpen Fugyo 10000 Changes No Surprise

MAP has been super slow recently, (like right now for instance, this is the only thread I can get to show up before I get the "server timed out" response). Maybe you can change your settings to allow the pages to load for a longer period of time before giving up on you?

5. El Medico

El Medico Valued Member

Hmm, think that's one of the things I did,but I'll have to check my notes.

If not, I'll certainly try it,thanks.

6. El Medico

El Medico Valued Member

Still no luck-done Winsock repairs,various scans,the page loading speed,and more.

I killed the Fox and hunted down the bits left behind-FF may have been innocent and the timing may have been coincidence.

Oh well-guess outside of the occasional comment won't be participating in any discussions to speak of-not enough time at lunch.

Will contact my ISP and see if they have any idea.

7. holyheadjch

holyheadjch Valued Member

A Firefox upgrade is unlikely to cause problems with other browsers.

8. El Medico

El Medico Valued Member

Probably not-however,I have since discovered a FF piece which didn't get expunged when I uninstalled and cleaned up.And I am unable to get rid of it,I get the "..in use by another program,access denied" message.

Now why the heck is a FF file in use by another program?Perchance something snuck in w/the FF upgrade.but none of my security scans reveal anything,so while it doesn't appear to have anything harmful in it,it may be a file which is interfering with some connections.Now including some traditional musical instrument sites.

Ah,well.

9. holyheadjch

holyheadjch Valued Member

check that the firefox process isn't still in memory (Ctrl-Alt-Esc) processes tab. Find Firefox, select, hit end process, return

10. El Medico

El Medico Valued Member

Thanks-no longer appears in Processes tho'.

11. El Medico

El Medico Valued Member

Well,tonight was the first time since I started this thread that I could access MAP at home.YAY!

Odd thing is, I occasionally have to log back on.Like at least twice so far this evening.Think something must be screwy at my end-guess I'll wipe everything out and re-install when I get the time.

In the meantime,I hope this wasn't a fluke.But I'm not getting my hopes up.

Hmmm-after I posted this and then clicked on "Forums", it displayed the page,but I wasn't logged in.And yeah, I had "remember me" checked.Well, I'll stop trying to understand what's going on-wouldn't want to be broken or anything.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2009
  12. El Medico

El Medico Valued Member

Lets me look at the Banned list,but shows me as not logged in.Weird .