Gary Goodridge

Discussion in 'Kuk Sool' started by Cuchulain4, Dec 27, 2005.

1. Grippereeno

Grippereeno New Member

Ever train a finger lock?

2. AZeitung

AZeitung The power of Grayskull

I was shown something where you push on someone's thumb when he grabs your dobok once. At a Kuk Sa Nim seminar, we learned that Ki Bohn Soo #8 *can* be done by grabbing your opponent's fingers instead of his hand, although I didn't usually do it that way. Perhaps after black belt there is more, but those were the only times I ever learned anything that could really be considered finger locks. I am certain, however, that even if there are more finger locks later on, there can't possibly be enough that the inability to perform them would have a measurable impact on anyone's fighting ability. How often do you really think you would apply finger locks in a fight in a no rules situation? How much time do you spend training them?

3. Grippereeno

Grippereeno New Member

4. AZeitung

Let me rephrase the question: how often do you think finger locks would be beneficial or even possible in a no rules situation? My answer would have to be not often.

And how much do you train finger locks in Kuk Sool? Basically never. Not enough to say that they make up a measureable portion of your skill, or that you're particularily skilled at them.

5. Grippereeno

Grippereeno New Member

YO... Im the finger lock master....

Seriously when you put it like that i have to agree

6. Wolf

Wolf Totalitarian Dictator

Actually the first set of techniques once you hit JKN has a significant number of finger locks.

7. JSun

JSun Valued Member

I know this is a bit off topic...in a sense...but actually finger locks are great counter to most wrist locks, depending on if the wrist lock is being executed using a live hand formation. Pointing that index finger on Sohn Mahk Soo #11 is a quick way to get it broken. Just grab it and bend it back towards the top of the hand using the base finger joint as the pivot point of the rotational force.

8. buddafinger

buddafinger Valued Member

psbn matt

Could you see yourself against Vitor Beaufont or a Gracie in the ring, cage or street. The UFC is an area for all martial arts practicioners. No excuses, no arguing over this is a sport or art. A good Thai boxer would not care for example, they would adapt it to their game.
    The key is about realism and training under pressure. The middle class head honcho's behind KSW in the uk at least turn it towards aerobics opposed to the feirce art it has the potential to be.

If we think we can fight, we fight. who cares about rules. Its about winning and proving. Not complaining

Why no KSW In the ufc?[/U]

9. swntzu

swntzu has left MAP for a bit

Hmm. I take it that you are not a kuksoolin. I hope this is not a serious opinion. Because you come across as a thug.

10. Silentmonk

Silentmonk The Blue Donkster!!

Hmm can't answer for Matt but for me hmmm lets see part 1...... IN THE RING> nope its their game not mine I really don't have the time to spend learning submission holds that AREN'T STREET EFFECTIVE (christ where does everyone live that its still match fighting?? I wanna come live there, honour, and shivelry apparently isn't dead) IN A CAGE> nope (see previous statement). IN THE STREET> hell yeah if I HAD to, not very likely tho is it? because why would we be arguing to the point where it had escalated to this point anyway??? they are unlikely to walk up to me and go........... you know that art you've been learning for years its pointless, just because it doesn't conform exactly to our SPORT!!!!!! and if they did I'd probably go, you know what I sorta agree thats not why I study it tho!!!!!

Oh and on the second note yes you are right. However, once you no longer THINK and actually KNOW, then you spend as much of your life trying to avoid it because no one is actually gonna come over and stop the guy from carrying on just because you tapped your hand on the canvas or have been choked into unconsciousness.

Man talk about totally walking around with your head up your @rse. :bang: :bang:

Last edited: Aug 25, 2006
  11. Grippereeno

Grippereeno New Member

My Kuk Sool Class aint an aerobics class dont know about anyone elses. Plus KJN can be pretty fierce..

12. psbn matt

psbn matt great sage = of heaven

well put monk.

cage fighting is not street fighting and bears very little resmblance to street brawls which are 90% of the time not 1 on 1. those of us who train hard and are competant in our skills don't allways see the need to prove it in a ring/octagon under a rule set in a compertition.

i have no desire to particepate in any form of full contact comertition. i have a great respect for those that do, just as i do for anyone compeating in a high level comertition of any sort.

i train for fun, and to defend myself against the small minority of idiots you meet in your life, not to go in a ring and fight 1 on 1 with another trained proffesional. i'll leave that for those how want to.

i have nothing to prove either to you or myself.

13. Dubu

Dubu Valued Member

When exactly did Goodridge begin his UFC career? Its just ive heard about him competing in a do bok, but those havent been allowed for a while now since all the regulations came in. Does this mean hes been competing for quite a while then?

14. JKN-Taylor

JKN-Taylor New Member

hmmm... I would love to fight a gracie...They don't have to beat the snot out of you to win. ^_~*

I couldn't imagine better ground training than losing 20 or so matches with a gracie. lol

15. AZeitung

I think it was UFC 10 when he started, although I'm not sure. I would look it up if I weren't in a hurry.

Anyway, now I think he mainly does K-1.

16. AZeitung

Another thing to do, if I'm remembering which one is SMS 11 correctly, is just brace right hand behind your left hand just below the pinkey finger, and maybe kick the guy in the stomach then if you want to hurt him on top of stopping the lock.

17. buddafinger

buddafinger Valued Member

Swntzu. I would like to correct you on both points. Spent many years studing the art and love it. My problem is that while fun and rewarding in many ways it did not prepare me for the thug mentality that Martial Arts should literally prepare you for. I befreinded many blackbelts who whilst deddicated to their art and in some cases quite gifted, did badly on the street often down to their decission to use a un practical technique. This concerned me as in many cases these people were much better than I was, but less experienced.
    I then realised that the best people at fighting were the people who whilst doing Kuk Sool had a background in some form of contact sport background be it Boxing, Judo, rugby etc...... This illustrated to me that the best means of defending oneself was to be experienced and not be scared of a slap in the face so as too keep my cool enough to counter.
    I wish there could be more realistic sparring in kuk sool in order to enrich it. As Bruce Lee said, "You Cant Learn To Swim On Dry Land". :bang:
    Sorry If Ive Offended Anyone. Just an opinion.

I do love Kuk Sool Won honest...

18. psbn matt

psbn matt great sage = of heaven

remember, not all kuk sool class's are taught without some sort of realistic aspect involved.
    judge the idividual students and teachers not the art.

and i doubt you offended anyone, with all got quite thick skin.

good luck with the martial art path you have chosen, and if your ever at seni come and have a chat.

19. Silentmonk

Silentmonk The Blue Donkster!!

You know the best way to get good at fighting......I'll give you a master class its really easy!!!!

This Saturday go into town walk into the roughest pub and pick a fight with the first guy you get eye contact with. You'll probably lose. When you get out of hospital go to the same pub try again. Odds are you'll lose again. Repeat infinitum until you start to win more than you lose, or you find fighting over stuff that doesn't matter is completely pointless. And it doesn't matter how many times you train fighting NO ONE knows if their bottle is gonna be there the next time they ask it questions.

You are right some contact is needed just so you are not completely shocked when it first happens. Its not hard to do put on some 6 oz mma gloves and get a mate to hit you till you realise pain isn't worth worrying about if you cared enough to fight in the first place.

Kuk Sool is not meant to be a "street art" it is an art not a combative skill. Just because a load of people want you to believe it is doesn't make it so.

Surely you have people who want to train like you with more contact. Arrange it and do it. Kuk Sool Won will not give you every answer. Its like life if you actually want something go out and get it, don't wait for it to be delivered to you on a plate, its not gonna happen. Unless your art is doing animal days and I mean REAL animal days then you are not going to get anywhere near street anyway, the cage isn't really close, you always know you are not going to die and can stop anytime.

20. turk944

turk944 Valued Member

At my first school we got into point sparring towards the end of my time there. It was at a University and we didn't have unlimited time and space to cover everything. Once everyone got all their gear, we did some normal point sparring stuff. We also did some real-world scenarios that got pretty crazy. We would set up where you have one partner be the attacker and one the defender. It starts out everyone is just using MA on each other so you have one partner just come at the other guy and the other guy defends with MA. This makes it more real, and we did full-ish contact with all the gear on. Unfortunately I was paired with a very experienced TKD sparrer and I drew the "crazed attacker" card and about got knocked out. Funny how a glancing blow across the chin can almost put you on the ground.

Also we tried to teach ourselves to lean into punches so if you get hit, you are not in the power range of the punch. Obviously rule #1 is not get hit. But a lot of times when you bail out back and to the side, you still get hit, and the punch has a lot more power than when it comes from about the shoulder.