Ganda Pencak Silat

Discussion in 'Silat' started by SundaWarrior, May 29, 2007.

1. SundaWarrior

SundaWarrior Valued Member

Thought you guys would like to see this. It is a traditional display of Pencak Silat usually referred to as main (play) but could also be compared to like a sambut. Notice how each Pencak player gives the other just enough time to counter the incoming attack. It may seem hard to believe but this can build incredible skill and can be much more beneficial than your average put on the gear and hit eachother sparring match. Anyways hope you guys enjoy, please give thanks to my good friend Guru Eric Chatelier president of the Association France Pencak Silat for putting this clip and a few others up on youtube.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7D0PMoaye5U&mode=related&search="]Ganda Pencak Silat - YouTube[/ame]

Salam,

Nick

2. tellner

tellner Valued Member

Sweet! That looks like a really useful training format. Are the sequences pre-arranged or free-form? Or do they start off pre-set and become more spontaneous with experience? And does the teacher slowly ramp up the intensity?

Thanks again,
    Todd

3. Monyet Nakal

Monyet Nakal Valued Member

Ah yes I saw this video a couple of years ago. A very nicely choreographed and precisely executed demonstration. I'm not sure if it is also on YouTube but if it is be sure and check out the second part of the video where they progress to a very nice staff versus golok routine. Worth searching for.

Edit: Ah, the second part is indeed up on YouTube. If you enjoyed the clip that SundaWarrior posted, be sure and [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SHripLDqmdI]check this out[/ame] as well.

Last edited: May 29, 2007
  4. doc_jude

doc_jude Banned Banned

Thanks for posting. Awesome!

5. SundaWarrior

tellner,

this particular set is for the most part choreographed because they are showing the PERSILAT panel of judges the attributes of their system Ganda Silat but the way i have been taught and the way i have seen it in Java you would first learn jurus and or ibingan(story about the fight) until you understand the movements of the system. you would then progress to main(pronounced my-an) meaning play. you circle your opponent until an attack is launched and then as you see in the clip you go counter for counter - you start off at a slow/medium pace until both you and your opponent are comfortable and then eventually you can increase the speed,power,etc.. Some systems however due teach choreographed sets as well - just as a way to show people what their system is about.

hope that helps - and if anyone else has a better/more accurate explanation of (main) please correct me - this is just the definition i have experienced.

Salam,
    Nick

6. Silatyogi

Silatyogi Valued Member

Nick did you get my email?

Santiago

7. SundaWarrior

Yes, thank you Santiago. I just sent you an e-mail. Please let me know if you have any questions. I will post the seminar info on this forum soon.

Salam,

Nick