Gaining weight (yet again)

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by kobudo_tob, Sep 12, 2003.

1. kobudo_tob

kobudo_tob Valued Member

All

I never usually look in this forum, but I think the time has come for me to use it. I apologise if this question has been asked before.

I'm very thin. I have little fat on my body, and even less muscle. Everytime I try and go on a carb diet, I only manage to put several inches on my stomach. I then stop eating and lose the inches, which causes a major problem when I'm buying trousers - going from 28" to 32" to 28" to 32"

So all I'm after is if someone can tell me what I should be doing to get more fat tissue on my arms/chest/etc. without it all going on my belly.

Once again, I apologise if this question has been asked before, but thanks to anyone who helps :)

Cya

-Tob

2. Tosh

Tosh Renegade of Funk

Just out of interest why would you want fat tissue there?

Surely muscle is a far better goal? :D

3. kobudo_tob

kobudo_tob Valued Member

When you are all skin and bones like me anything is good :D

4. Tireces

Tireces New Member

Go on a lifting program of all big compound lifts, low reps, high weight. And diet high in carbohydrates and protein. Dont expect instant results, but you should go up 5 pounds a week on each lift on average, since compound lifts increase a lot quicker than isolation lifts (one of the many reasons I love them).

Last edited: Sep 12, 2003
  5. kobudo_tob

kobudo_tob Valued Member

Ok, but what happens if the only thing I have access to is a pair of 5kg dumbells, and no bench?

6. Tireces

Tireces New Member

Then you'll have to buy a barbell and plates, or try bodyweight exercises. But dont expect the same results heavy weight lifts would bring.

7. kobudo_tob

kobudo_tob Valued Member

Right thanks for your input Tireces - much appriciated.

8. Cain

Cain New Member

Check this oe for bodyweight exercises -

http://www.trainforstrength.com

Also this one, in the search function enter only compound exercises and enter dumbells in equipment, they also have good bodyweight exercises.

http://www.bodybuilding.com

BTW how much you weigh? maybe those dumbells could be put to some good use...[YODA?] would be good if you get your hands on a barbell and a bench though...

|Cain|

9. kobudo_tob

kobudo_tob Valued Member

about 9st 9lbs. Very light. Imagine a skeleton with a face - you have me. Thats the problem with being Sitophobic LOL.

I will check out those website you suggested Cain.

I was also wondering, (hopefully I'll catch the attention of either YODA or Kickchick), how long it would take for me to see results in X areas if I followed Y plan.

Like I said before, I'm really new to this health lark, so forgive my greeness.

Cheers to all

-Tob

10. IDIOT

IDIOT Guest

height, age?

11. YODA

YODA The Woofing Admin Supporter

Hey Tobias

With a good basic compound lifts program and proper nutrition you could see very visible gains in 3 months.

12. IDIOT

IDIOT Guest

BUMP!

Even if you are not too bothered about building your legs still do squats and deadlifts as they will put muscle all over. The back builds fast if you do regular wide grip pull ups and will help you put a few pounds on.

13. YODA

Squats

Deadlift

Chins & pull ups

Flat bench

Dips

Shoulder press

That's ALL you need.

14. kobudo_tob

kobudo_tob Valued Member

Completely forgot about this one........19, 5'11''

Cheers guys

15. YODA

9st?

I've taken bigger dumps :D

Get squattin' young man!

16. kobudo_tob

kobudo_tob Valued Member

Yes sir Mr Yoda sir

17. Cain

Cain New Member

57 kg is good compared to my now 53 kgs!!!!!!! :(

|Cain|

18. Tireces

Tireces New Member

You aint kidding, after 2 weeks of one, Im already much farther than any previous weight training has gotten me in the past. You practically read off my entire lifting program in that other post.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2003
  19. Bon

Bon Banned Banned

Hmm, why is it after a month of doing compound lifts I'm seeing no visible gains? I'm keeping the reps at no more than 8 if that makes any difference...

20. Greg-VT

Greg-VT Peasant

Go 2x8-12...