Gain weight through muscle training

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Allers, Mar 29, 2012.

1. Mangosteen

Mangosteen Hold strong not

Going to definitely start this is a couple weeks.
    awesome program. just need to finish my current cycle.

@chadderz - you can but grip strength will be your limitation

2. Princess Haru

Princess Haru Valued Member

Though not really a squat I tried split lunges with 2 x 16kg kettlebells (the rationale was my barbell weight was 30-35kg) one night when the rack was so busy. Just doing 12 reps (right, left x 6) for 3 sets nearly killed me, whereas I'd have done 16-20 reps for 4 sets on the barbell and it only really kicked in after 12 reps and was challenging but nothing to write home about.

Maybe it was that I was taking some weight in the arms and this was the weak point in the lunge (not a million miles from a squat) so guessing dumbbell or kettlebell squats will be the same, dependent on your arm and wrist strength as much as the legs.

3. seiken steve

seiken steve golden member

the tension created throughout the body by having heavy stuff on your shoulders is an impotant part of the process.

"becoming awesome" is what lifting weights is all about, if you are strong, fast and it looks good, well thats pretty awesome IMO.

lol and zaad, i dont eat any more than every other skinny kid who got sick of looking like a bamboo stick.

4. icefield

icefield Valued Member

Lol made me laugh and smile, if you’re not deadlifting, squatting, benching, snatching or cleaning for multiple sets of 5 and eating a ton of food you’re not going to grow

Look at how the old time pre steroid guys trained (reg parks etc)

Its not rocket science and its been done before

Oh and if there’s a squat rack at your gym use it, doesn’t matter if you have to get there at 6am, or 9pm if its important to you you will get to use it

5. seiken steve

exactly!

FWIW i squat at 6am, i like it for the rest of the day i feel better too.

6. boards

boards Its all in the reflexes!

As others said, you need to EAT like nothing else, lots of protein and good fats, so meat, fish, eggs, nuts, milk etc and then lift big.
    Check this page out for the process of growth and follow strong lifts if you can't get starting strength. It outlines the basics though it comes from a no grains perspective.
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/gain-weight-build-muscle/#axzz1qZNeFOr3

7. Pkhamidar2com

Pkhamidar2com Panda Member

Yeah but thats just for school lunch. At home i eat till im stuffed. And meat is expensive man, we only have meat every so often. Also i dont care if i gain a little or alot of fat.

I try to eat till im full every meal, eat enough beans, enough meat and fish (i dont like to go crazy on this, you have to leave food for the family or else it is just plain greedy).

Sometimes i feel sick after eating due to volume. As much as you are a cool person and give out excellent advice, saying "im not trying to be a dick" is worse than saying "no offence" and then proceed to say something offensive and feel that by saying "no offence" it covers up the offensiveness, not trying to be a dick btw ;)

Anyways, is it ok if you run down your daily meal plan, you are quite the knowledgeable person Steve, so i'm not doubting you, but if i knew your daily meal then it would probably give me a better idea.

Also about the squatting/deadlifting/cleaning/benching and all other heavy barbell movements i will not be able to do. I can only go as far as my weights will let me unfortunately. There was a strong man type gym but its far too expensive at around 50 pounds per month. No way can i afford that on top of Judo.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2012
  8. seiken steve

Lol I didn't think I was being a dick, but I thought I'd put that as my poor use of language can come across a little short.

50 quid a month is steep like, my SM gym cost 30.

Typical day can be found on my log, I think you've commented on it already though, I haven't checked what's been said yet though.

Basically I eat 300g of protein a day, all my carbs around workout and as much veg as I can fit in.

Is there totally no gyms at all near you? Even globo gyms have barbells normally.

Eating till you ill isn't pleasant, and might not be as beneficial, maybe try eating that in two sittings and see how it feels, might be less unpleasant and may well do you more good.

How do you tolerate milk by the way? It's pretty cheap and packed with muscle building goodness, providing you don't react to it.

If your drinking loads lact-aid tablets might be a good buy.

9. Mangosteen

lol my lunch consists of 300 grams of meat with sweet potato mash and some veggies or glass noodles, a couple of cheese sandwich are a little treat better than a mars bar! (srsly try not eating bread, you'll crave it sooo much)

Buy a tub of whey and casein protein powder with bcaas and you'll be fine in the protein department.

lol i dont think steve was being offensive at all. he was stating a fact
    you havent come close to your genetic limits and you wont unless you eat big and lift big.
    btw, look for a university gym, they are incredibly cheap. a lot of community sports centres also offer cheaper memberships to student under 18 or 16

Last edited: Mar 31, 2012
  10. seiken steve

Thats right... Zaad eats glass.

11. Pkhamidar2com

Please excuse the late reply. And i dont mind about being a dick part. Heat of the moment got to me.

Yeah i looked around for other gyms. But i couldn't find any with a decent price, and any that had a decent price/facilities, were too far away

There is one all my friends go to, but i went there to check it out for free, and no one there was doing any squats, or deadlifts (because there were no barbells). There was a corner of people just doing curls, benchpress, shoulder press and thats it really.

Although i could join for the dumbells, i would rather spend about another 30 quid on upgrading my dumbells to 40 kg (thats the max the gym goes to) if i really wanted rather than paying 30 pounds per month for that gym. Its dominated by machines, and has two benches, and 1 pull up bar.

The university gym i found out about. Its quite far away, about 2 - 3 miles away. No one can take me either. But even then you are on a contract for either 6 months or 12 months. It results to about 22 pounds per month but i dont like being on a contract. They do have those squat racks and stuff.. but like i said too far, and contract.

My only option is, if someone hopefully accepts me for a job, to earn my own money, and earn enough so i can pay for all the available judo lessons + save enough to buy some sort of olympic weight set, so i will just have to clean everything to do everything. But it seems a bit... far fetched. Its all so expensive.

Its annoying how most of the gyms near me that i can actually get to are just gyms for those just trying to loose weight. Like cardio classes and stuff, choked full of machines and treadmills.

Anyways the splitting of meals into two meals is actually very good and beneficial, so thanks for that tip Seiken Steve.

12. Princess Haru

Princess Haru Valued Member

Errr. I cycle 2 miles to my gym to do weights, 3 miles to the dojo for judo. That's not far really, unless it's over some major bridges or motorways, or you don't cycle, or you live in a rough town. Mind you I don't know how dangerous some places are, I trekked around some universities on my own at 17 before coming here, and it wasn't without incident.

When I was really into ballet in the early/mid 90s I would travel to London most weekends, cycle 4 miles to the station, get the train to Kings Cross, walk another 3/4 to get past Oxford St, two classes back to back, then return home. Trains were cheaper than they are now :(

13. Microlamia

Microlamia Banned Banned

Mildly tired of the 'no offence' thing myself...

I'm no longer trying to gain weight...honestly I probably only wanted it because of how much people needle me about it...but for a long time I did stupid things to gain weight.

I went to the extreme measure of forcing myself to eat once per hour...once per hour. I spent the entire day wanting to puke, suffered severe overheating and actually lost weight.

But no, I don't eat enough.

No, not looking for advice. Just felt the need to point out that the 'shut up and stop making excuses' route isn't necessarily reasonable.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2012
  14. 47MartialMan

47MartialMan Valued Member

All the above AND marry a good COOK!

15. Pkhamidar2com

yeah I don't have a cycle :/

I have been meaning to get one but even at my age my parents are over protective and too scared to let me go out on a bike -_-.

right now I am just going to try to make my own equipment like sand bags and stuff and if I get a chance today a much heavier Tyre to do some tyre flipping. don't know if it will fit in the car

16. Mangosteen

also remember you are a female and unfortunately you dont have the same steroid profile as males so the advice should be different for you e.g. you'll make slower gains.
    thats the reality

17. Microlamia

Microlamia Banned Banned

Meh. I don't mind any more. I honestly probably only wanted the weight because of being in an area full of stupid hillbilly zombies who feel it's their business to jump on me for it. You know...struggle to gain 1 kilogram, feel really pleased about it, then go out to get some damn toilet paper and hear 'OMG, you've lost SO MUCH WEIGHT!' Ok...if I lost weight at the rate people say I do, I'd be dead...

Derail, sorry. I just felt the need to point out that jumping on someone for 'making excuses' is not necessary and not very fair. I have long tendons which are useful for strength, guess it's wrong to mention that too because it's 'making an excuse' to point out that things can be inborn? No it's a fact.

18. seiken steve

Dude 3 miles isn't really that far if it's something you want to do.

It's sounds like your unwilling to make the effort, which if you don't want to isn't really my place to judge but how far will you travel to see friends/go party?

I find it strange how many mates I have who won't pay 20-30 quid a month for the gym, but can go clubbing once a week, hee I can't remember the lt time I had a sub £60 night out.

19. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

I walk my dog 2 miles most mornings.

20. Pkhamidar2com

Yeah but even if it was close, i dont wish to sign a 6 month contract to a gym even if it has a barbell squat rack and dead lift rack. And even then, to afford the gym, on top of the Judo classes and everything else i need to pay for.

You are kind of correct about making the effort. If the Judo Club was 2 - 3 miles away, even 4 or 5, i would go because Judo comes as No. 1 top priority and i truly love Judo. Judo will never compare close to lifting. The main reason i lift, is for Judo.

But for me, Judo costs 4 pounds per lesson. I will have to earn 48 pounds per month to go for Judo every week 3 times a week, along with studies exams and what not that i have going on and maintain the job and also i need to earn more for savings for University, Car & Driving Lessons for going Uni.

For the price i have to pay for the contract, i could buy my own olympic weight set with about 150 - 160 kg or so.

Anyways i heard sand bags are good to work out with, so i started making some outside. Found some old big bags in the back of the garage. Just need some rope, or wire tires and duct tape to finish it off.