Future of UFC heavyweight division after UFC 111

Discussion in 'Fight Discussions' started by The Decay of Meaning, Mar 29, 2010.

1. The Decay of Meaning

The Decay of Meaning Valued Member

This one took me by surprise. I knew there was a chance Carwin would knock out Mir, but from the clinch using dirty boxing?

Also, what was the referee doing? It looked like Mir was KOed on the ground and the judge let him get pounded? It seems Frank eventually woke up in between the punches and then went to fairytale land a few seconds later.

Also, is it just me or was Frank way too relaxed? When he finally went for the attack and used the combination that knocked out Nogueira (left straight right upercut, left straight right uppercut) he looked good. Besides that, not anything meaningful from Mir.

And when Carwin started to punch him in the clinch, it looked like Mir didn't react that much. Mir could have blocked the shots with his left hand but he just kept it there. Why didn't he do anything? Was he dazed from the first shot?

I don't think there are anyone who has a stronger punch than Carwin, so what will happen during Brock Lesnar vs Shane Carwin? And if Carwin wins, who can take him?

What will the future of Mir be? It seems like he doesn't belong in the top anymore; despite the first win, Brock threw him around and Carwin knocked him out from the clinch. He won't be a title contender for quite a few fights to come. So what will he do now?

Last edited: Mar 29, 2010
  2. Ranzan

Ranzan Valued Member

hopefully he never comes back that guy is a <Daaaaaaaaaave>.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 21, 2010
  3. Pitfighter

Pitfighter Valued Member

Ranzan who's a <Daaaaaaaaaave>? Mir? If your sayin that then I gotta agree but really I think no one in the MMA world is a bigger <Daaaaaaaaaave> than Brock Lesnar.

I think Mir is goina be relegated to being a gatekeeper for the title. He's too good to be regular gatekeeper but I think anyone who can beat him is capable of capturing the belt.

The HW division is for the first time in possibly ever really really deep at least at the top of the division. I think Cain Velazquez is a legitimate threat to either Carwin or Lesnar.

AND IF, A BIG UNLIKELY IF, Emelianko somehow comes to term with the UFC I would pick him over anyone but only a slight favorite over anyone. The HW have really gotten much better the past couple years and I think if Emelianko doesn't erase the ? by his #1 status in the next year or so I'm goina have to kick off my personal top slot of my personal top ten list.

At the moment I think it's a toss up over whether or not Carwin or Lesnar will win. I pick Carwin cuz I hate Lesnar. Next in line between the winner of Carwin vs. Lesnar I pick Velazquez I like him just a bit more than Carwin. I think really the HW division is goina have a revolving door of champs in the next year just like the Light HW division has the past 2-3 years. I don't see a truly dominant champ on the horizon.

Just to acknowledge other top guys. Dos Santos is also getting a lot of hype but I just don't see his standup matching Carwin and I haven't seen any ground game that makes me think he get beat Carwin, Velasquez, or Lesnar. He trains with Nogueiro but so what?
    Eventually he's got show some ground skills before I think he's a legit title threat. Roy Nelson is starting to get some hype. Although I think he has the tools to give anyone a run for their money I just don't see him getting past the top dogs. I think he's sorta in the same position as Mir.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 21, 2010
  4. Touch of death

Touch of death Valued Member

Carwin is going to smash Lesnar then Velazques will crush Lesnar, then Lesnar is going to crawl under a rock and we will not see him again.

Carwin vs Velazques would be a great fight but it needs to be a title fight.

5. slipthejab

slipthejab Hark, a vagrant! Supporter

The chances of Lesnar crawling under a rock isn't very high. He's got too much drawing power because of his size and personality. He's the guy everyone loves to hate. People chiming into threads to hate on him is case and point. :p

6. AndrewTheAndroid

AndrewTheAndroid A hero for fun.

Carwin will become a master of Chi sau and then the UFC will instantly evaporate out of existence.

7. Llamageddon

Llamageddon MAP's weird cousin Supporter

Please remember that MAP doesn't allow swearing. Even if it's masked.

8. Pitfighter

Pitfighter Valued Member

Dave, Dave, Dave

Sorry saw someone else post it masked and like a lemming just followed it.

9. Doublejab

Doublejab formally Snoop

Well Dos Santos destroyed Gonzaga standing up and he gave Carwin serious problems. Don't get me wrong, Carwin's a monster, but Dos Santos is one serious contender.

I think the HW division is so wide open at the moment. Lesner, Carwin, Cain, Dos Santos all looking like world beaters, with Mir not too far behind. They're all in the mix to become the best HW in the UFC, and I for one can't pick who its going to be. Very exciting!

10. Pitfighter

Pitfighter Valued Member

Yea but Carwin also knocked out Gonzaga. While it's true that Gonzaga gave Carwin more trouble it is also true that Gonzaga got knocked out within the first round. With the win over Mir I think Carwin edges out Dos Santos at least in terms of caliber fighters they've beaten, just a little though.

But yea man the HW division's never been so stacked.