Future of the bujinkan?

Discussion in 'Ninjutsu' started by thomas81, Apr 20, 2015.

1. gtlaau

gtlaau Valued Member

There is more then enough evidence around to support my idea from the Bujinkan Obviously, Mr Tanemura's experience in the Genbukan, to Katori Shinto ryu and Kashima Shinryu and many others. It is nearly always old to young, or very sick to healthy and young.

I do not understand your point about the average time someone was Soke?
    Obviously the average time today would be much longer because people live a much nicer existence today due to the modern conveniences of life, but apart from that, in my eyes its still old man to young man. Which is a possible reason why it was only a short term of inheritance before passing it on, in your words 15-20 years. Basically life was hard back then and people as far as I am aware were not running around mad in there 60 and 70's presumably much like today. But the medicine and quality of life today is much better due to advancements in technology. So it is not unreasonable to assume a longer period of Sokeship, vs a 20 year one in times gone by.

Now lets assume Soke started training with Takamatsu Soke at apprx 26 or 27 depending on the book or article you read (In english anyway, because my Japanese reading comprehension is zero) and he says he trained for 15 years. So assuming he was apprx 41-42 when Takamatsu Soke passed away, then Taught for 20 years and either Died or Passed it on at 61-62, which according to your theory would be 20 years after becoming Soke, what sense would it make to give it to another 60 year old guy or someone in there 50's? for it to have to be pass on again quickly...

Also remembering too that Hatsumi Soke received everything quite late in his life. And he also trained for a long time with his teacher. As did Risuke Otake ( I know he is not Soke, but the head teaching master, but my point is still valid as he has all the knowledge and skill and is the Ryu). What sense does it make to not give it to a young man between 20 and 45? and do you have any examples of where this is not the case? I am not saying there wont be, just that in my readings its not the norm.

Now both of these guys trained for a long time with their teachers before being made Soke and Head Teaching Master and were around the same age when they received it at apprx 42 yrs of age. Both received their titles from their teacher who were old, one in his 80's and one in his 70's. Assuming they were to live the same amount of time, this would give them plenty of time to train and develop the next generation before passing away or retiring.

Other Examples include Dr Seki Humitake of Kashima Shinryu who got MK in 4 years and was Head Teacher master just like Mr Otake after another 2 years at the age of 29. His teacher was in his 70's I believe and passed it down to a 29yr old.

Takamatsu got all of his as far as I am aware by the time he was in his early 20's unless I am mistaken? and he received them from old men.

And yes I am talking about recent events, that is if you call 1910 to 1973 recent (the years between when these people were Awarded their licences)
    And their teachers all received it from old men too when they were young men.

Could you provide examples when this was not the case? with the exception of someone dying unexpectedly because of war or illness?

Now I am not sure as what you meant by clear cut to me. If you are assuming it's not the case, are you suggesting that an Old guy would give it to another old guy? like a man in his 70's passing it on to another in his 70's? it doesnt make sense to me, as the guy could drop dead or become ill or frail easily due to age or injury, yes a common stereotype, but also true in most cases.

Or are you suggesting the opposite is true and a young guy say 25 would pass it onto a 20 year old?

My understanding is Old guy (whatever you would like to call old, I would say 60+ is old enough to call someone an old man) to young guy(20-45) for the majority of the Ryu I have read about.

Last edited: May 9, 2015