future of MA

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by freespirit, May 13, 2004.

1. freespirit

freespirit spirit of the free

what do you think is the future of MA ?

are they going to turn into just a spiritual life?

or are they going to stay as they are ?

any other thought's or questions

2. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

Diversity. More information leading to more training opportunities for people of varying training priorities. So you'll get more schools tailored for the "realists", the competitors, the traditionalists, the spiritualists, the recreationalists, etc.

3. tai-gip

tai-gip New Member

i think we will all be wiped out by a superior alien race who find mankind ignorant and destructive and a blight on the univers kinda like white ants in a wood house... but at least they will be doing it for the good of the universe as a whole ...
    i think there ma is called " be nice and live with the nature of things or smack"

bnalwtnotos for short :Alien: :)

4. shootodog

shootodog restless native

i tend to go with what darwin said: evolve or die!

5. yes

yes Banned Banned

MMA is the future. ;)

You see traditionalists incorportating grappling defense, etc. into their training while still remaining 'pure stylists' and 'traditional'. :rolleyes:

6. englishpremier

englishpremier Valued Member

due to increase globalisation and the so called 'global village' in addition to people realising the benifits of at least a little cross training with other arts and MMA tournaments like ultimate fight and K1 etc.., aren't all arts going to eventually develop into something extremley similar (almost as if just one art) disuss?

Marks out of 100 with 5% awarded for presentation and a further 5% for refrences. lol,

sorry its exam period at uni.

7. Adam

Adam New Member

MMA will grow a lot larger, traditional arts will die out slowly, losing their century-long histories and traditions. Kind of sad if you ask me.

8. Scaramouch

Scaramouch Lost Soul

From my own limited experience MMA/JKD classes are very dependant upon the instructor, possibly more so than any TMA since TMA tend to have a well-established syllabus and universal standards through the grading process. The problem with MMA is variable instructor quality, variable empahasis on aspects of MA grappling vs striking vs weapons etc etc

IMHO the best way for the beginner/intermediate to learn is to achieve your "own" MMA by X-training in TMAs either east or west. Find which styles you like, suit your own abilities eg Judo-Karate, Muay Thai-BJJ, Boxing-Wrestling-fencing whatever. Once you have gained a good grounding in at least a couple of complimentary arts try taking your skill to a MMA/JKD class and see what you think. You'll be in a much better position to judge the quality of the instructor and their teaching abilities.

May be in time MMA will become better established and have more international standards but it almost goes against the nature of the way it is taught. If for example you study Judo for a few years, you can move to the other side of the World and your techniques will not be too dissimilar, however, one MMA school in the same city compared to another is likely to be completely different based on the instructors' experiences (usually, it has to be said, in a couple of different TMAs).

Last edited: May 14, 2004
  9. Ed.

Ed. New Member

re

i think that line between mma and traditional arts is becoming thiner every day. Most peoples perseptions of ma is that of a sport. With Karate, judo and now the bjj and the fighting torneys it isnt hard to see how people would get those ideas....*sigh* crazy ..

on a side note i recently posted a simmilar thread on another site, lookes like im not the only one wondering :)

thanx.

10. acrawford

acrawford Ki-Ken-Tai no Ichi

Evolution of MA into only a spiritual application I think would be the ultimate application. If that were to happen that would mean that Humanity would no longer see a need for violence in any forum. However the likelyhood of this event is very nearly non-existent. So I tend to agrea with what some of the other posts have said. Most MA are now training in multiple arts, which is actually merging them together. So one day the line will blur and no real differance will be seen.

11. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

Purely traditional arts aren't going to die out, though I agree that MMA will grow in popularity for a while yet. Whenever something grows like that, the counterposition is going to be strong too. The more MMA grows, the more people it'll attract. AND the more people it'll repel. The traditional arts aren't going anywhere gang. Thankfully. (Personally, I like the diversity.)

12. yes

yes Banned Banned

I disagree... is it sad that type writers are no longer used? If anything, type writers have hindered the speed of information and technology somewhat, consisdering that a qwerty keyboard is inefficient for typing - it was created to slow typists down, so that type writers wouldn't skip letters when people hit them too quickly. There are more efficent keyboard layouts out there.

Traditional arts are just another hinderence to the true art(s) - Mixed Martial Arts! :D:p

What Darwin said applies nicely hear - adapt, or die.

13. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

Quite a few writers still prefer old typewriters. Odd but true. Tastes vary.

14. markyg

markyg MAP Muppet

Hopefully MA wll contiue to develop and more appeal to different people.......

15. nzric

nzric on lookout for bad guys

Hey, I type 75 wpm on a qwerty keyboard - there's nothing wrong with it, it's all about practice.

Martial arts have been going "back to basics" so much that it seems like all you need nowadays is a couple of scars and a beer belly to set up your own "reality" fighting class. I think people will start to be more curious as to what else is out there and revive some more old arts. Already looks like there's an upsurge in traditional European fighting arts - people are looking at the renaissance with asian arts and it's giving them impetus to look into their own culture's martial history. Benefits to all.

16. Adam

Adam New Member

I find your typewriter analogy to be flawed yes. It sounds to me as if you believe MMA to be far superior to TMA, something that in my experience isn't neccesarily true. I've been to great TMA, bad TMA, decent MMA, bad RBSD and currently trains at what could be a very good MMA dojo given time. TMA's are no better or worse than MMA's, and both have strong points. For MMA, it's the focus on hard work and hands-on training, for TMA it's the spiritual content, mutual respect and traditions you learn from your training in the style. This isn't saying that one doesn't exclude the other however, and I find a mix of both to work the best for me, as I believe MA should both be hard work with hard fighting as well as a spiritual journey. But that's just me, your needs might be different.

17. Midnight Mist

Midnight Mist Valued Member

Martial arts will continue as they have. One style will become popular for a while, it will fade, and be replaced by some other fad.

The sport of MMA won't take over the MA world either, since MMA doesn't address the needs of every martial artist. Not every practitioner wants hard sparring or training geared towards competition.

18. kungfuprincess7

kungfuprincess7 New Member

Individual

For me martial arts is an intracate part of my life so whether it all falls through ill still stick to it and carry it to my family. I think the Us though, as a whole doesnt care bout MA they are more concerned with beating eachother up in courts. So I think it will all be on a personal basis and as the US gets more tech advanced it wont change the real martial artist.

KP

19. D@vid

D@vid Valued Member

Wow, never thought someone would bring up the question that I brought up. If you want to hear more thoughts just click my name. I named it exactly as this topic, except I spelled out Martial Arts

20. MartialArtN00b

MartialArtN00b New Member

TMA will get back to where it should have been before its downfall because of MMA and as a whole we will come off better. And a lot less bickering also.