Funky v THAT double leg

Discussion in 'Wrestling' started by icefield, May 8, 2019.

1. icefield

icefield Valued Member

So if we ever wondered about how big the difference is between good and great in wrestling we now have the answer....it's a big gulf

That double leg is a thing of beauty

axelb and Dead_pool like this.
  2. Mushroom

Mushroom De-powered to come back better than before.

Video is deleted but Im assuming we talking about Jordan vs Askren? Cos Askren had no bloomin chance

3. icefield

icefield Valued Member

Yep that's the one,

4. axelb

axelb Master of Office Chair Fu

the magic of a golden double, they just disappear down and float towards you at speed whilst on your back you brain starts going "sprawl sprawl sprawl, aaaaaah too late"

5. Mushroom

axelb likes this.
  6. icefield

icefield Valued Member

3.30min for anyone who wonders why standing still and routing isn't the best idea for defending a double leg.

The force he hits with and the distance he covers is scary

7. Archibald

Archibald A little koala

I love how he doesn't even hide that he's fishing for it. Just bobs, bobs, then BOOM picks his moment.

8. Combat Sports

Combat Sports Formerly What Works Banned

As someone who probably follows wrestling a little more closely then some of the people who participate here, I would share that Ben Askren hasn't been actively wrestling outside of the MMA context for many years. And the Freestyle rule set is one that his style was never well suited to. I personally despise the rule set for Freestyle and situations like what just took place at the World Team Trials with Yanni and Zain are at the center of it. Those rules are also why Askren felt Freestyle was not for him after making an Olympic team and switched to MMA and coaching shortly afterward.

In Folkstyle wrestling with an appropriate amount of work put in, and appropriate partners Ben Askren would destroy Jordan Burroughs. Just as he did to Jake Herbert, another very athletic and powerful wrestler. I also strongly feel though for somewhat different reasons Kyle Dake would wreck Jordan Burroughs in Folkstyle as well.

The Freestyle rules protect somewhat 1-dimensional wrestlers who rely entirely on their takedowns. And when you compare Jordan's Folkstyle accomplishments to Askren and Dake's, it's pretty clear.

Freestyle is so divorced from Wrestling's roots and is wrought with corruption. The rules are so poorly written that situations like the ones that just happened with Yanni and Zain are not just likely, they are inevitable. And it's why my son stopped doing Freestyle altogether and does Greco-Roman beside his Folkstyle instead. While there are still questionable calls in Greco-Roman it happens FAR less often then it does in Freestyle. If your rules are written in such a way that no less than three referees watching participants can watch the same match and come up with three different interpretations, there is a serious problem. (My rant about Freestyle rules is only loosely related to what happened with Askren and Burroughs.)

Meanwhile, shameless plug for my son's video of his last Greco-Roman season. It starts slow but builds up to some of the crazier throws he did this year. (P.S. My daughter also prefers Greco-Roman and is hoping the rumors about women's Greco in the Olympics for 2024 prove true.)

9. Mushroom

As a Freestyle wrestler.... stabbed me right in the heart that did :D:confused:

Archibald and Dead_pool like this.
  10. Archibald

Archibald A little koala

LOL yea I'm as 1-dimensional as they come