Functional martial arts training

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by Dudelove, Apr 9, 2010.

1. Ranzan

Ranzan Valued Member

Ugh how can anyone take that guy seriously? His videos are atrocious, he is out of shape, obviously no idea what he is talking about. I hope one day he tries to live one of his fantasies and gets himself beat nearly to death.

2. Phil Elmore

Phil Elmore Valued Member

Any results yet, Kuma, or is it too soon?

3. Phil Elmore

Forgive me for the thread necromancy. If anyone cares to have closure on the topic of Ron Collins' various military claims:

Recently I received the preliminary results from a Freedom of Information Act Request involving Ron Colins' military records. I don't have all the material yet, but Ron has said that A) he was "stop lossed" and deployed to Iraq; and B) he was a Military Policeman in the Reserves. Preliminary analysis of the records released to me indicates that he was sent to Korea straight out of Basic, where he did a brief stint as a radio-telephone operator and then as a rifleman. He left the Army six months short of the standard 4-year enlistment term; he was still in Korea when he left. There is no indication that he was in the Reserves; there is no mention of being an MP; there is no mention of a deployment to Iraq; there is no evidence of combat service whatsoever. He received a variety of unremarkable awards that any soldier would receive who spent time in Korea or was in the military during that period of time. There certainly is no evidence of any service that could possibly have lead to PTSD, unless he sustained a tragic stapler injury while working as a desk jockey in civil affairs.

4. m1k3jobs

m1k3jobs Dudeist Priest

I'm surprised that no one picked up on this. Anyone who went through boot camp there sure as heck knows it's spelled Parris Island. Even I remember that and I graduated boot camp December 23, 1971, Platoon 1002.

Since I was only REMF in aviation supply I won't begin to comment on his hand gun training.:woo:

Semper Fi brothers.

5. Phil Elmore

If you read over his posts, it's clear that Ron is almost functionally illiterate -- you can't assume anything from him misspelling something. ;)

6. Phil Elmore

7. Kuma

Kuma Lurking about

Great write-up Phil.

For what it's worth: AAMs (Army Achievement Medals) are awarded under the following criteria: "The Army Achievement Medal is awarded to any member of the armed forces of the United States, or to any member of the armed forces of a friendly foreign nation, who while serving in any capacity with the Army in a non-combat area on or after 1 August 1981, distinguished himself by meritorious service or achievement of a lesser degree than required for award of the Army Commendation Medal. The Army Achievement Medal will not be awarded to general officers."

It's interesting to see how, despite the fact that you have the paperwork posted on why he was awarded his AAM, he wants to say it was awarded for something else. The AAM is kind of an "attaboy" medal, nothing more.

Also, if he was with Force Recon like he claims but did not attend BRC, then he would have never held the 0321 MOS. To use myself as an example, I recently transferred Army Reserve units from a Psychological Operations unit to an engineer unit. Though I am part of an engineer unit, I have not yet formally attended engineer training and thus do not held an engineer MOS. If you are with a Force Recon unit and never hold the MOS, that makes you support personnel (i.e. admin, armorer, and the like) at the most.

For what it's worth, I ran Ron's information on Marine Online which has a people finder option to search for current and former Marines. Not surprisingly, Ron Collins is not there.

8. Bruce W Sims

Bruce W Sims Banned Banned

As a vet and a MA, it not that I don't follow the arguments that you folks are presenting. And, I'll go one further and state that I think uncovering blatant misrepresentation is almost a duty to folks in the MA if we are to maintain self-policing and not have the government step in and take things over for us. Where I am having trouble is in understanding how this relates to the subject of this thread......

or....

maybe I'm having trouble understanding what this thread is suppose to be addressing in the first place. Thoughts? Help?

Best Wishes,

Bruce

9. Kuma

Kuma Lurking about

To save you about 16 pages worth of arguments:

The discussion started off reasonably enough, then devolved into the usual "MMA isn't real" route. Then there was postings about mythical prison fighting systems, and the usual tirade that for some odd reason combat athletes suddenly lose all fighting ability once they step outside of a ring. Draven/Ron was posting some interesting claims, and then some of his "instructional" videos got posted. Once we pointed out the fallacies of his claims, he began to rely on his "elite military training" background to show his credibility. As you can tell, that wasn't 100% truthful.

Hopefully that saved you some time.

10. Bruce W Sims

Bruce W Sims Banned Banned

Many Thanks. That was very much appreciated.

BTW: Though it only touches tangentially on the discussion, IMHO I believe it is worthwhile to uncover misrepresentation. During my stint at the VA I ran into literally hundreds of folks who attributed their drug-use, ETOH abuse, domestic violence and poor employment patterns to their military service. Perhaps there was some connect, I don't know for sure. What I DO know is that we had scads of folks who claimed participation in all sorts of exotic programs and high-profile events.....often from a messhall in Bien Hoa. Like the folks who claim MOH status, such individuals tarnish the reputations of individuals whose claims were/are earned legitimately. I believe such things must not be allowed to devolve into "trading card" or "stamp collecting" status.

Just my 2 cents......

Best Wishes,

Bruce

Best Wishes,

Bruce

Last edited: Oct 18, 2010
  11. Phil Elmore

12. Phil Elmore

http://www.register-herald.com/local/x733696226/Local-news

13. Kuma

Kuma Lurking about

Good riddance.

14. daggers

daggers Valued Member

Just do what you want! Thai boxing is designed to work as a sport . Stop learning for the street. Zzzzz

15. robin101

robin101 Working the always shift.

I like to look for the crossovers (just me though, may not be for everyone) but the way I see it is if you look at an SD course, or martial art and it says that certain techniques, moves or whatever are effective, and you then go away and see these same moves used effectivly in both MMA ( or another no holds barred grappling/striking competition) and in the real violence you have witnessed. You can be fairly certain it is not teaching unrealistic movemetns. but it is down to the student to train and test these moves in an alive and resistant manner so you know they can work against someone that doesnt want to be hurt by them and wants to hurt you as well. "ALiveness " is great, But hey there is no "proper" way to train for the street. and anyone who says that it is only TMA or MMA or SD courses is ( in my opinion which i know is not infalible) is limited. As a philosopher i like once said. " A great builder does not build anything of worth by tearing down the towers of others, but by making his the highest, strongest and most beutifull tower so that all may see it for themselves"

16. robin101

robin101 Working the always shift.

I like to look for the crossovers (just me though, may not be for everyone) but the way I see it is if you look at an SD course, or martial art and it says that certain techniques, moves or whatever are effective, and you then go away and see these same moves used effectivly in both MMA ( or another no holds barred grappling/striking competition) and in the real violence you have witnessed. You can be fairly certain it is not teaching unrealistic movemetns. but it is down to the student to train and test these moves in an alive and resistant manner so you know they can work against someone that doesnt want to be hurt by them and wants to hurt you as well. "ALiveness " is great, But hey there is no "proper" way to train for the street. and anyone who says that it is only TMA or MMA or SD courses is ( in my opinion which i know is not infalible) is limited. As a philosopher i like once said. " A great builder does not build anything of worth by tearing down the towers of others, but by making his the highest, strongest and most beutifull tower so that all may see it for themselves"

17. Phil Elmore

Just to update this thread, I am not entirely certain because all I have to go on is his YouTube channel, but these charges against Ron Collins were apparently dropped. He's posted several videos to http://YouTube.com/omotoryubudo that adress his legal woes in amazing detail -- threatening to sue various people along the way. It amazes me that a person can spend months in jail without a trial and then never be charged with a crime.

18. Sulfa Bocce

Sulfa Bocce Banned Banned

I agree that Martial Arts need to be alive, but I disagree that combat sports and sparring equal aliveness.

To me aliveness is being true and sincere in the practice of the life and death struggle to survive. Sparring is the very antithesis of aliveness.

Sparring is a contest, a play fight where you respect each other and push your technical skills to the limit to make your opponent submit. Sparring should be safe and fun, and test you both physically and mentally.

An alive martial arts technique are none of these things. An alive martial arts drill, form, or technique, should be vicious, brutal, and have no regard for the safety of the opponent. It's effectiveness should determine whether you live or die.

I like sparring, but I hold no illusion that it will allow me to survive a life or death struggle. I keep my sparring and my survival techniques separate. If someone wants to play I spar, if someone wants to kill me I will survive.

Sparring is not aliveness.

19. Dean Winchester

Dean Winchester Valued Member

That's great but you need to understand that "aliveness" has come to mean something rather specific.

Having your own definition is fine of course, as long as you understand that when most people talk about their training being alive they will be referring to certain aspects being present.

In the commonly understood use of the term sparring is an alive method of training.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2013
  20. Dean Winchester

Dean Winchester Valued Member

And how do you train such things?

Ultimately its effectiveness should be measured against its performance within the context of its intended use.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2013