Function vs. Flash

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by Van Zandt, Feb 19, 2009.

1. Moi

Moi Warriors live forever x

With people like Stuart, yourself, Mitch and I'm sure many others there will always be a small percentage that makes it something effective.
    I doubt you'll change the tide, too much money at stake and it has to be said, semi contact fighting is great fun. Room for everyone.

2. JaxMMA

JaxMMA Feeling lucky, punk?

Nothing, just the way it's taught and all the crap that's told to students.

I think MartialDad pretty much summarized it:

As for the high kicks, I think they can be very effective when used at a right time (i.e. CroCop).

3. Bruised Nov

Bruised Nov New Member

It's possible...if there's one thing I've learned it's that everything has the potential to go horribly wrong...if they were a non fighter and like you said they just experience an adrenaline rush then I wouldn't be too worried. Not to sound cocky but adrenaline doesn't improve technique...not to say they can't hulk out or something to that effect and still win but the probability isn't very good. Besides it seems that things aren't the way they used to be, in my mind the tougher the opponent the better the fight, but many people don't think that way anymore and would rather go for an easy win than a hard well deserved win...like for example the owner of my gym was scheduled to fight in a local event next month but his opponents keep backing out as soon as they find out he's a Pan Am champ. If it were the case of another martial artist spotting flaws and snickering at your attempt to flash things up and intimidate...then you're screwed. Lol. Honestly this isn't a mistake I would make because I am a function fighter. I don't use flash because I'd rather someone be overconfident and think they can beat me because it makes them careless and stupid, the only thing I worry about in a street fight is throwing a kick and having them grab it because at that point you're almost always going to the ground and I'm a Muay Thai fighter so the ground isn't a friendly place for me...Besides that I don't have trouble figuring out other fighters because in my opinion fighters are easy to spot...it's a way we carry ourselves.

4. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

Interestingly there was the following advert in this month's issue of Martial Arts Illustrated:

"What does martial arts have to do with looking good?

EVERYTHING!

Choi Kwang Do is much more than just learning self defence.

Our meticulously constructed classes combine Dynamic Martial Arts with fitness workouts and advanced stretching routines. The results are exhilarating!"

This was accompanied by a picture of a pretty blond woman doing a high front kick. They probably meant looking good as in a healthy physique, but it did make me think back to this thread :rolleyes:

5. Moi

This thread is useless without pics!!!!

You didn't think to include a pic??? Come on man:):):)

6. New Guy

New Guy I am NEW.

I like a pic too.:evil:

7. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

8. Kraen

Kraen Valued Member

She's not as pretty as I was lead to believe. >_>

I want a refund.

-Kraen

9. Moi

I'm glad you said that:rolleyes:

10. Kenpo_Amnesiac

Kenpo_Amnesiac Valued Member

function can be better

when you are confronted by an attacker something simple like delayed hand/sword while not really "flashy" can be just as effective as something more "flashy". When it is a matter of self defense who cares how flashy or dorky you look.

11. New Guy

New Guy I am NEW.

But I want to look sexy while defending myself!!

Oh well.. :(

Last edited: Apr 14, 2009
  12. Donnerschlag

Donnerschlag New Member

I recommend checking out the ARMA. (Association for Renaissance Martial Arts)
    They may specialize in longsword (which includes grappling as well), but Ringen (Wrestling/grappling) is one of their areas of study, and is a very effective, no-bullsh*t form of combat from what I've seen. Hell it's actually a part of the Army's unarmed combat training.

13. 47MartialMan

47MartialMan Valued Member

Any recommendation is nice, but there will be the obstacle of actually studying at a place remotely out the way or in another country.

14. Guyin

Guyin Old Cynic

Even though it's 2yrs old I'm still laughing my socks off at that comment!! What deluded nonsense.

To sum up - Flash is for the Gym/Dojo. Function is for real.

15. 47MartialMan

47MartialMan Valued Member

Flash is for quick memory access and storage :D

16. KenpoCourt

KenpoCourt New Member

I have studied both Muay Thai and (a little)Krav Maga as well as TKD and when it comes to flashy head kicks and aerials versus brute practicality, the proof is in the results. I have tried to spar and defend myself in both fashions and the TKD training almost got my butt kicked. After learning Muay Thai and American Kenpo, i learned that the best and most effective means of self defense are the basic, powerful techniques. Knees, Elbows, take downs, all of these prove much more useful than any panty wetting spectacle one could put on. :)

Excellent article and really useful to any new martial artists!