Function vs. Flash

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by Van Zandt, Feb 19, 2009.

1. 47MartialMan

47MartialMan Valued Member

RARE LOW PERCENTAGE

2. Mitlov

Mitlov Shiny

You mean, like all KOs in modern MMA? Most victories I see nowadays are from submission or the ref stopping the fight. Does that mean MMAers should quit training in striking, because winning a match outright with ANY single strike is a rare low percentage?

EDIT: Is Peter Aerts' entire career one big "rare low percentage"?

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xB_eGCLsO-E"]YouTube - Peter Aerts Highlights[/ame]

Last edited: Mar 14, 2009
  3. 47MartialMan

Iit doesnt mean to quit striking. This hread is about function verses flash. And somehow high kicking falls in one of those categories.

4. Mitlov

Mitlov Shiny

So you think that the first half of that Peter Aerts video isn't functional? It looks pretty functional to me.

5. Martial_Mathers

Martial_Mathers Capoeirista

Damn! Cro Cop's ankle/lower leg was crazy twisted. DAMN!

Last edited: Mar 14, 2009
  6. 47MartialMan

Functional only in that particular moment. Not consistently functional. And not functional in the street. More luck and chance than anything.

7. ArmyCombatives

ArmyCombatives Valued Member

okay, so we can see that alot of people like high kicks, and some dont. Not sure how the thread got locked on to high kicks. There is alot of other flashy stuff that is basically useless, unless you are just going for the aaawww effect.. Me personally I think sport fighting is flashy, but real worls self defense has no need to be flashy, quick and desicive is the way for me. Just my two cents.

Respects

8. Kwan Jang

Kwan Jang Valued Member

So, let me get this straight. Pressure testing by world-class, fully resisiting opponents that can be taken out on a consistant basis by high kicks are flukes. At least according to those who see chin na and aikido as well proven for real fights. Even though both systems are notorius for lacking pressure testing and have a far less positive track record under adrenal stress. Does this about sum it up?

When I say this, I am not even trying to troll. I have quite a bit of skill/training in chin na/kyusho and DO believe that it can be very functional in the right circumstances. I also have a black belt in aikido's parent art of daito-ryu and a 5th dan in it's sister art of hapkido. But neither aikido nor chin na have the best reps or track records under pressure testing under adrenal stress. When presented with evidence that high kicks have achieved a greater success than either of the others have yet to demonstrate under similar conditions, it just seems a bit of an odd response.

My take on it is that high kicks CAN be devastating if the person throwing them is skilled enough despite what some styles or instructors (that don't use them) will argue to the contrary. They can be high risk for self defense/ combative situations though and should be used with care even by those who are very good with them. And can easily be a disaster waiting to happen for someone who isn't skilled with them trying them on the street. I would even agree that they are better reserved for sport applications, but the apparent style bias I'm seeing here needs to be addressed.

9. ArmyCombatives

ArmyCombatives Valued Member

okay, wow way to start flaming. I do know that Chi Na is very effective in self defense, and if you are trained in Chi Na you would know this. Not all of us are world class fighters, I believe this thread started with a question of Flash or Function? I know for me and for the Art that I study, it is not flashy, but works well in real world applications. I do not believe I ragged on any TKD or other kicky arts when I posted. I do believe in what I know, and have had the unlucky chance to prove it a couple of times, yes I said unlucky. I am not a paid fighter, and do not look to fight, so what I know works just fine for me, and yes Chi Na has been tested and proven. Okay, now that I said all that, just opinions on here, we should not be flaming on anyone or thier chosen style....

respects

10. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

Kwan Jang,

I think you hit the nail on the head, Sir. I have always considered myself good at high kicks, but in the example I provided I was not good at throwing them on the street [and received a broken nose for my efforts]. Now I trust these techniques more than in the past, but that is only because I've trained with "street" conditions in mind.

11. Bruised Nov

Bruised Nov New Member

This was a great post. I've often wondered what would happen in a street fight when it comes to kicking. I haven't been in any fights since I started Muay Thai, and have often been intruiged by the thought of what would happen given the opportunity. However, the reason I haven't been in a fight since beginning martial arts is because most of the people that learned I am now a martial artist are too intimidated to fight me.

That principle makes flash important. If you show a little flash BEFORE the fight you might discourage your aggressor from fighting, but when it comes down to it when fighting actually goes down function seems far more important.

Since I haven't fought out side the gym since I started martial arts I've wondered though what would happen if I threw kicks, not so much high kicks because I don't like to use high kicks because in Muay Thai it's a good way to get your plant leg taken out resulting in a hard landing, at least from my experience. I just wondered because most people's natural reaction to kicks is to grab them and if that happens you're screwed...so I liked reading about your broken nose story which serves as a classic "what not to do" scenario. No offense.

One thing I have to laugh at is the thought of Muay Thai in a street fight situation since most people's initial intimidation technique is to get right up in your face (merely inches exposing you to their awful breath) which is a great place to be for pulverizing them with knees and elbows...

Great post.

12. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

Thank you for your comment Bruised Nov :cool:

13. New Guy

New Guy I am NEW.

That's an interesting point, my worry would be what if it has other side effect, if you make an aggressor think that you know martial arts, that might make they try even harder with their adrenaline. What if they are a martial artist and spot the flaw in your flashy show?

14. JaxMMA

JaxMMA Feeling lucky, punk?

Wow, that was a long read....

So you're still training taekwondo? Why not take some boxing, kickboxing, mma, or muay thai?

15. 47MartialMan

Better to keep the flash in the tournament show

16. Kraen

Kraen Valued Member

What's wrong with Taekwondo?

17. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

Yup, still training in Taekwon-do (ITF and WTF), along with boxing and kickboxing. Done MT for a number of years too, and I'm currently looking around for an MMA gym in my area.

18. Moi

Moi Warriors live forever x

I spent 12 years working in Blackburn so I see no reason why you can't train in Wales:rolleyes:

19. Moi

Moi Warriors live forever x

Most of it is crap. You have to go a long way to find someone you teaches effective TKD. It's a sport, a game of tag usually.
    Dumbed down to make it financially successful.

20. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

Actually, looking at Russ' website it doesn't seem like such a bad idea!

Sadly I have to agree. But I think it's due to the proliferation of poor teachers and not necessarily a poor art. I believe teachers attract the type of students they want, so I usually find only good students and gyms I consider to be legit. There is hope for TKD yet!